Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 03:26 PM

8 posts, read 10,798 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my fiance has been manager of a store for about a year and a half now.
He works 6 days a week, 10-12 hour days every day. One day off a week and one extra special day off a month.
A conservative guess at his hours is about 60 hours a week. This would be a slow week for him.
He is on salary and gets paid twice a month $850 dollars.
His boss told him that he took care of his wife and 2 children on that much money so my fiance should be able to do the same. We live in Orange County so for a crummy studio apartment it is about $1,000 a month let alone paying for car insurance, food, medical insurance, and utilities, gas, etc etc.
I have worked out the math and my fiance is making around $6.80 an hour, being the manager of a very popular but independent store. Their end of day totals are between 3-5 thousand dollars a day during the week. Weekends are much more.
I am not so good at math so I am sorry if my calculations are wrong....
But from what I have gathered, if he were to be at least paid minimum wage in California, he basically working a month for free every year.
The boss has fired people in the past because they wanted to spend time with their family. In fact he will not hire people if they have children or go to school or have a life at all.
He does not hire enough people to work at the store, so my fiance's work is always more and more and more. So, my fiance feels like he is incompetent and cannot possibly ask for a raise or more time off.
He makes about $24,000 a year after taxes.
In the area managers of smaller businesses seem to make around $35,000 a year working 40 hours a week.
I feel like he is being majorly exploited and it is sad because he is very very loyal, hard working, and knowledgable in his field.
Obviously financially this affects us.
But more so I am starting to feel like I am wasting my life waiting to be reunited with the love of my life. It is a torture because he is always dead tired after work, and on his days off he just wants to sleep. He is constantly feeling sick and anxious about work. Also it is clearly bad for his health as he has no time for exercise, for proper diet and he doesn't even have enough time to see a doctor if he needs to.
We are struggling with this and he is either depressed about work or I am crying because I am alone with out any help from my partner because he doesn't have time for me or we are both upset because life seems to be passing us by.
Any advice or help on this matter or what he could try to do would really help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 03:43 PM

420 posts, read 768,789 times
I can tell you that he should be looking to improve his position. He is working way too many hours for that level of pay. Its better to be an hourly worker if your going to be working that many hours for low pay. The whole salary thing, the way his boss has set it up, is a way to underpay and not be required to pay overtime.

For example. I made the same amount of money starting out of college working hourly at ~$13 per hour, only 39 hours a week. I was also living in a lower cost of living area (Denver/Louisville Colorado) in a two person income home, paying 50% of expenses. I didn't feel like we were struggling at all and I actually saved $700 per month on that 24K/year income.

At the end of the day there are two choices: Stay, or leave.

He should be applying to other places, especially with managerial experience... Orange County is also fairly expensive, no? I would also look into a move, if that is feasible. Out of CA if at all feasible..lol. I love parts of CA but the cost of living, taxes and mismanagement of funds can really kill ya..Best of luck.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:47 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,280,373 times
Yes, he is being scammed. He may not have the time to look, but he really needs your help and support in getting out of there. Get that resume going and emphasize accomplishments! Good luck

ps you may want to post this in the work and employment forum

Old 05-23-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post
I can tell you that he should be looking to improve his position. He is working way too many hours for that level of pay. Its better to be an hourly worker if your going to be working that many hours for low pay. The whole salary thing, the way his boss has set it up, is a way to underpay and not be required to pay overtime.

For example. I made the same amount of money starting out of college working hourly at ~$13 per hour, only 39 hours a week. I was also living in a lower cost of living area (Denver/Louisville Colorado) in a two person income home, paying 50% of expenses. I didn't feel like we were struggling at all and I actually saved $700 per month on that 24K/year income.

At the end of the day there are two choices: Stay, or leave.

He should be applying to other places, especially with managerial experience... Orange County is also fairly expensive, no? I would also look into a move, if that is feasible. Out of CA if at all feasible..lol. I love parts of CA but the cost of living, taxes and mismanagement of funds can really kill ya..Best of luck.
Yes it is disgusting expensive here.
Looking for a 1-2 bed apartment in the crappiest part of town is about $1,500.
I would love to leave CA but he hates to be away from his family. Thank you so much.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
Yes, he is being scammed. He may not have the time to look, but he really needs your help and support in getting out of there. Get that resume going and emphasize accomplishments! Good luck

Yeah...I have tried convincing him to start a resume but he is too tired and isn't good with word processing. I will start on a resume for him now, and thank you I will repost this over there.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,774,637 times
I wouldn't say its a "scam" as he is getting the wage that was agreed upon.

That said, he needs to find a new job and get some initiative. Staying at this extremely crappy job for so long is indicative of a lack of confidence. He really needs to stop being a pushover.

The good news is that he has the manager title. He should be able to get a substantial raise while working less hours once he finds a new job.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 05-24-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-24-2014, 07:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
It is not a scam when two people in the free market agree to the terms. It is the way the free market is intended to work.

There is the old story about the rancher who hired a hand for ten dollars a day. During the busy times, he hired another hand for 15 dollars a day. The first one went to the boss and asked how come he was paying the second guy more money. The boss answered "because he asked for more.".

Old 05-24-2014, 07:16 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,762,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post

He is being used the way many retail stores use their salaried managers. Even retail store corporate offices use their people the same. This is the nature of the retail business to enable them to keep their prices low. While not a scam, it is most unfair.

That said, a retail store it is one of the few businesses where a person of limited education and experience can get started and advance if there are enough location to advance to.

The OP said her fiancée does not know have good enough skills to prepare a resume. Maybe he is one with limited education and experience so retail is a no brainer for him. Show up sober, clean, dressed as required, do as told, kiss the customers butt, and work long hours. A no brainer job. He might need a bit more education, experience, etc. to get ahead.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:27 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,542 times
He needs to move on.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:05 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,933,009 times
Default Is that $850 before taxes?

http://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/fs17g_salary.pdf

Executives are exempt from minimum wage laws if the make at least $455/week. If your fiancé makes less than that he may have a cause for action. Even if not, he should look for a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics