Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 11:35 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,092,535 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation in brief: About a year or so ago, I interviewed for and was offered a position with a global company. The position was more junior than I would have liked, but I'd been out of my work speciality area for some time, I didn't at the time, want any greater responsibility and I've always held this company in high regard and have wanted to work there. They are HQ'd in a city where I'd lived for about 8 years and which my husband and I call "home" though we don't live there now.

I accepted the job and gave my notice where I was employed part time. They came back to me with a counteroffer that shocked me. They matched the money and offered me more flexibility in my schedule, a 35 hour work-week with no travel or overtime (I would have had both in the other job) and a great benefit package. Even though I was not doing what I consider my area of expertise, my husband and I discussed it and decided that it really was the best thing for all of us. So I stayed with my present company.

I'm not desperately unhappy here by any means, but now that I've committed to returning to the work force full time, I feel I might as well return to an area where I have a lot of passion and interest. It doesn't have to be for that particular company but I've been casting about for a new opportunity. I've been networking, looking at job postings and recently, building my network on a web-based business networking site.

Here's my dilemma. I've encountered a LOT of people from the company that offered me the job and many are in high powered positions (i.e, hiring authorities). And they are in the city where we'd love to go as well as other places around the country.

I feel as though I've burned my bridge here for sure. But have I burned it company wide? How would someone suggest I approach these people and let them know I'm very interested in and open to talking about employment possibilities? At some point, my accepting a counteroffer is going to come up.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 12:27 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,495,575 times
Unfortunately you made a classic mistake: you should never take a counter-offer. Damage is probably done. It's not unrecoverable, though.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:53 PM

35 posts, read 218,394 times
Default Tough Situation for Sure...but All is NOT Lost!!!!

Sassberto is right -- studies show that counter-offer situations are a bad idea the majority of the time, but primarily because it tends to result in other often covert repercussions for the employee within the current company. That is, however, not your case. It sounds like you want to leave for personal reasons, not because things have changed for you in your current situation.

That aside, a few questions come to mind:

1) How long ago was it that you made this mistake?

2) Did the company incur additional expenses during the course of your evaluation (ex. flying you in to interview)?

3) How many people did you interview with and at what level?

4) How long did your "dance" with the global company take (from initial contact to interview(s) to offer letter to accepting the position to rescinding your acceptance?

5) What explanation did you give them for changing your mind?

6) How attractive are your qualifications to that Company? (You'd be surprised how much a company is willing to forgive if it means they'll get someone/ something they really want [look at Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema!])

7) Is your main goal to a) go back to doing what you love; b) go back home, or c) get a permanent job?

These details are critical in order to strategize re: your comeback. One of the most important challenges (not insurmountable, but tricky) will be how to convince the company that you actually want THEM and they're not just a convenient vehicle to get you back home.

In the meantime, take heart and don't give up hope. I think there's a good possibility to get you back in the running, but I need more info to help you.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:46 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,092,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITend2XL View Post
Sassberto is right -- studies show that counter-offer situations are a bad idea the majority of the time, but primarily because it tends to result in other often covert repercussions for the employee within the current company. That is, however, not your case. It sounds like you want to leave for personal reasons, not because things have changed for you in your current situation.
Wow, great response and some very thought provoking questions.

Quote:
1) How long ago was it that you made this mistake?
October of 2006

Quote:
2) Did the company incur additional expenses during the course of your evaluation (ex. flying you in to interview)?
That would have made it worse, wouldn't it? I've been flown to interviews before. Luckily, this was a local job with the global company. First interview was with the in-house recruiter, by phone. Next interview was with my intended supervisor, also by phone. Third interview was in-person with the recruiter and the intended supervisor. Fourth interview was with the supervisor's supervisor, by phone. (They were going to fly me to interview but her schedule changed last minute and we decided to do it by phone). Fifth interview was with a director in another department, with whom I'd have substantial interface.

Quote:
3) How many people did you interview with and at what level?
Ooops, I think I answered that one above!

Quote:
4) How long did your "dance" with the global company take (from initial contact to interview(s) to offer letter to accepting the position to rescinding your acceptance?
From start to finish, about 2 months. It went very quickly all through the interviews, and then stalled. It turned out, they had a budget and hiring freeze. The recruiter called me several times to tell me to "hang tight". When I was finally offered the job, I was told that the company was only going to approve just a few out of several open positions (it was 4th quarter) and that because of my qualifications, I was one of the few.

Quote:
5) What explanation did you give them for changing your mind?
I told them the truth. That my current company had offered me a full time job that I didn't think was available when I started to interview with them (I was working part time at the time), and that they had come up with a competitive salary and flexible working hour package that was very attractive--and all very unexpected.

Quote:
6) How attractive are your qualifications to that Company? (You'd be surprised how much a company is willing to forgive if it means they'll get someone/ something they really want [look at Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema!])
I'm in a sub-specialty area where there aren't a ton of people who have the mix of qualifications that I possess. That doesn't mean I'm the only one who can fill this type of job. It just makes me a bit more attractive, I suppose. They are a very dynamic, well known global company, consistently voted one of America's best to work. I'm sure they don't have trouble finding qualified candidates. In fact they were able to grab their second choice person after I backed out and last I heard, he had worked out quite well.

Quote:
7) Is your main goal to a) go back to doing what you love; b) go back home, or c) get a permanent job?
I already have a permanent job. My main goal is going back to doing what I love (and making more money!)

Quote:
These details are critical in order to strategize re: your comeback. One of the most important challenges (not insurmountable, but tricky) will be how to convince the company that you actually want THEM and they're not just a convenient vehicle to get you back home.

In the meantime, take heart and don't give up hope. I think there's a good possibility to get you back in the running, but I need more info to help you.

It's not even necessarily back "home" where I'd interview for a job if one were open. The fact that this company is headquarted at "home" was just another attractive benefit. I've worked for several global companies and have moved around a bit and eventually, all roads lead to corporate HQ. So HQ might as well be in a place you like! I feel as though I thoroughly burned my bridge here (but maybe not???) but perhaps there is an opportunity in another field office in a place I'd like to live. And figuring out how to get past this obstacle, if possible, is my big quandry.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:40 AM

35 posts, read 218,394 times
Sorry for the delay in responding, OP -- I've been traveling extensively the past few weeks...

In any case, I think you're in a great position and should not hesitate to court this company again. If there's a specific opening you are interested in, I would encourage you to ask one of your new company contacts to submit your resume directly to the hiring manager (of course, after letting the person know re: the previous position in as few words as possible, stressing the fact that you sacrificed your interests and aspirations before to "do the right thing" by your previous employer [ie, loyalty] but the time is now "right" for you to pursue your aspirations since your employer is "in a diferent place now" (ie, out of crunch time, more trained personnel to keep the workload going, whatever -- just get creative but no too much!). The point is, this company did not lose anything really and hiring managers are just interested in meeting their own needs, and so will be more inclined to overlook the previous situation than say, HR would be since it's not personal to them. In any case, I would stress the fact that you continue to admire the company and are convinced that you are the right fit and this is the right time, etc. I think they'll definitely have to admire your loyalty, commitment and serious interest in them, judging by your willingness to approach them again. I certainly would and would not hesitate to hire you!

Good luck, and please let us know how it turns out. I wish you resounding success!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,174 times
May I add an additional 2 cents?...And I would really like to do so in order to reinforce the encouragement you've already received to re-apply. In my opinion, your scenario does not come across as completely unsalvageable. Especially when you consider the various facts you've shared - - most notably, the fact that this company seems to have operations across the country. You can get the ball rolling with the network you've already created to generate some good PR on your behalf. I extend best wishes to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment