Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:23 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,059,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I was in your same situation. Find an online distanced learning masters program so you can continue working and go to school. Make sure it's a real college with a real campus though(not u of Phoenix). The only other way is through networking. But that is not really under your control like people say it is.
If I went to college, I would quit my job and go to school full time. I can't imagine adding on college coursework to my full-time job. I'd blow my head off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
What do you not like about accounting? If you advanced to the position of Controller you could take on human resource responsibilities as well?
Well, specifically, I'm a tax accountant. I just don't like the constant pressure, deadlines and complexity. The U.S. tax code is just SO complex and it makes my head want to explode.

I have tried moving out of tax accounting and into general accounting, which follows GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles) rules but I'd have to take a $20K paycut (down from $75K). I'm okay with that, but it would be a tough pill to swallow. I mean, whether it's tax accounting or general accounting, I would still be sitting in an office in front of a computer all day, dealing with a set of rules, spreadsheets, numbers and deadlines anyway. So I don't know....

The only career change that I could possibly wiggle my way into would be a financial analyst, of the type that forecasts and budgets a company's financials. But based on my observations over the years, financial analysts or FP&A (financial planning and analysis) professional work like 50+ hours per week, which I don't want to do. I value work-life balance strongly.

But being in tax accounting for nearly 7 years, I'm just average at it, to be honest. I think from time to time, management has been disappointed with me for various reasons.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:45 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,048,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Because I don't want to spend a few years and tens of thousands of dollars on something that I might not like. Sure, I have some ideas of what I would like to try, but how do I know if I will REALLY enjoy it? That's scary.
No risk, no return.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:56 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,205,264 times
Quote:
Well, specifically, I'm a tax accountant. I just don't like the constant pressure, deadlines and complexity. The U.S. tax code is just SO complex and it makes my head want to explode.

I have tried moving out of tax accounting and into general accounting, which follows GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles) rules but I'd have to take a $20K paycut (down from $75K). I'm okay with that, but it would be a tough pill to swallow. I mean, whether it's tax accounting or general accounting, I would still be sitting in an office in front of a computer all day, dealing with a set of rules, spreadsheets, numbers and deadlines anyway. So I don't know....

The only career change that I could possibly wiggle my way into would be a financial analyst, of the type that forecasts and budgets a company's financials. But based on my observations over the years, financial analysts or FP&A (financial planning and analysis) professional work like 50+ hours per week, which I don't want to do. I value work-life balance strongly.

But being in tax accounting for nearly 7 years, I'm just average at it, to be honest. I think from time to time, management has been disappointed with me for various reasons.
In your particular situation, I would not switch careers as of right now. I would only switch careers midstream if...

1) You really know what you want to do.

2) You really, really hate your job or are terrible at it.

3) You want a more challenging job or want to make more $.

As is, you make good $. If you switched careers, it might take you another 8-10 years to get back to 75K. Heck, you could go to Pharmacy school or spend another 5 years getting a BS/MS Computer Engineering and be making around 75K.

That said, if you want to switch, now is the time to do it. The longer you wait, the harder it gets. You are not quite at midstream, but very close.

If you had a good idea of what you wanted to do, I might encourage it, but you don't.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
In your particular situation, I would not switch careers as of right now. I would only switch careers midstream if...

1) You really know what you want to do.

2) You really, really hate your job or are terrible at it.

3) You want a more challenging job or want to make more $.

As is, you make good $. If you switched careers, it might take you another 8-10 years to get back to 75K. Heck, you could go to Pharmacy school or spend another 5 years getting a BS/MS Computer Engineering and be making around 75K.

That said, if you want to switch, now is the time to do it. The longer you wait, the harder it gets. You are not quite at midstream, but very close.

If you had a good idea of what you wanted to do, I might encourage it, but you don't.
Correct. I don't precisely know what I want to do. But I just don't feel comfortable going back to school and spending virtually my entire nest egg on another degree for something that I might not end up liking anyway! The whole point of this thread was to seek advice as to how to make a career change WITHOUT going back to school, if possible.

I don't hate my job that much. It's alright. Some days are good, some are bad. I guess that's the case with most jobs?

I don't want a more challenging job, nor do I desire to make more money (although it's a plus).

I already know that it's a bad idea to go back to school, because of the cost associated with it. I mean heck, I just paid off all my student loans two years ago. It would be very depressing to rack up huge amounts of debt again or dig into my nest egg of cash. It's just going to be a huge setback for doing things such as buying a home, etc.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:45 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,792,938 times
Quote:
Correct. I don't precisely know what I want to do. But I just don't feel comfortable going back to school and spending virtually my entire nest egg on another degree for something that I might not end up liking anyway! The whole point of this thread was to seek advice as to how to make a career change WITHOUT going back to school, if possible.

I don't hate my job that much. It's alright. Some days are good, some are bad. I guess that's the case with most jobs?

I don't want a more challenging job, nor do I desire to make more money (although it's a plus).

I already know that it's a bad idea to go back to school, because of the cost associated with it. I mean heck, I just paid off all my student loans two years ago. It would be very depressing to rack up huge amounts of debt again or dig into my nest egg of cash. It's just going to be a huge setback for doing things such as buying a home, etc.
Grass is always greener on the other side.

What I would really suggest is a shift within the broader accounting field. If you work for a large company, try getting a job with the consolidations team for example. The two fields are related in a lot of respect in terms of what they need from people and your experience will still be valued there. Or try to make a move to FP&A. That'll be a bit more of a chance since it tends to be less on the "Rules" side of accounting and more on the "what do you think will happen side" but it'll still hurt you less to switch.

To sum it up, if you want an easy change, redirect your course, don't turn 90 degrees.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:57 AM

9,692 posts, read 7,452,214 times
75 k and you complaining, why?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:13 AM

412 posts, read 687,680 times
Quote:

Do some research, like looking at BLS and what kind of jobs/careers you can maneuver into with the education and skills you already have. But it is very possible you might need to go back to school. If so - look at post Bac type classes in courses that interest you or even a graduate certificate (which is about 15 credit hours). You can take classes at a community college that would be less expensive.
Or you can try to make your job a little more enjoyable or put some soul back into your life by volunteering. Volunteer tax services or volunteer in something totally unrelated. Maybe giving something back will make you appreciate what you have.
But it worries me that you say you are making mistakes at your job. If you screw up somebody else's taxes because you are feeling unfulfilled then that's not fair to your clients.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:39 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,173,627 times
Quote:
(edit for brevity)

(edit for brevity)
You will take a minimum of a $20k paycut, if you changed career paths. Many entry-level jobs start at $35-45k, so you are looking at a $30-40k paycut. It is something to consider, if you are hesitant about taking a paycut.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,239,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You will take a minimum of a $20k paycut, if you changed career paths. Many entry-level jobs start at $35-45k, so you are looking at a $30-40k paycut. It is something to consider, if you are hesitant about taking a paycut.

I don't think it will be that much, but yes, a 20k paycut is a minimum.

Totally handle able at your age when you don't have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment