Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 05:22 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,479 times

Advertisements

I don't think you should hire your would-be engineer - drinking all those beers, I doubt he'd be very handy with a paintbrush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 08:32 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I feel sorry for him but the point in time has to come when he is able to just get a job. And abandon his dreams of being a successful engineer. That's the hard part, giving up on your dreams.

We were lied to. We were told to get an education and the world will beat a path to your door. No money, no worries. Sign right here for your student loan. You'll be able to pay it back in no time with your 80K salary as a new engineer. In the meanwhile, all those great engineering jobs went to people willing to work cheaper in other countries. And companies love the H1B visas that let them bring their cheap labor to the US.

This poor guy is 27. He needs to wake up and smell the coffee. And get a job as a house painter. At least that's something they can't outsource. But I'm pretty sure there are lots of crew of illegal aliens in this biz.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
I'm a scientist I have tattoos, my company has engineers that have tattoos. It's not this terrible thing or something. I have one you can't see on my back, then a tiny one you can't see (on my wrist) if I'm not wearing a bracelet, nobody blinks, nobody cares. I won't lie, when I've had interviews I wear a bracelet to cover it up because I don't want to be judged on my tattoo. But when my boss eventually saw my tattoo he didn't even blink lol.

If I were not employed I'd take a job doing anything, and I have. In fact BEFORE I had ANY tattoos I had a job washing dishes in a lab to put food on the table, after about 5 months I found a MUCH better job.

I think whoever this kid was, he was dumb to not take the job, a job's a job and if you are employed it's always easier to find work, tattoo or not!

Last edited by beera; 05-18-2014 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-18-2014, 08:54 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
This is typical of the generation IMO.

My sons are in that age bracket, both are engineers and working in engineering positions (one is works outside his education background, but still in engineering). other than they both take time off without pay for a couple weeks ever year (another thing I don't understand), they are well employed and building careers. I consider myself fortunate.

We have a lot of friends with college educated kids (usually liberal arts majors) living at home and not working because they truly expect to start in middle management with a $100,000 salary, and they have this concept in their heads that the boss doesn't "do anything" but gets paid more than workers for doing nothing. They all seem to be looking for a high paying, fulfilling career where they "do nothing" not realizing "high paying" and "fulfilling" generally come with time, skills, and effort, and no one gets paid to "do nothing." Anything less is simply "not suitable work" in their minds.

On the tattoo thing (and gauges etc.) in 30 years when these kids figure it out and are in management positions, it may not be a big deal to have them, but business professionals are expected to look professional, not like a punk rocker from the London scene. He might want to wear long sleeves to interviews, etc.

I have been in management positions most of my career, and while I can point back on a couple of truly remarkable achievements, most of my work was the mundane and thankless task of keeping everything on track, on budget, and on time - i.e. problem solving. These kids would say I "do nothing", but it's been a heck of a lot work!
I work in the Finance and Banking industry. You would be surprised by the number of younger vice-presidents and senior vice-presidents in their 30's and 40's with tattoos at Fortune 500 companies. It's not uncommon nowadays. I have seen tattoos on ankles, arms, or back of the neck. They don't advertise to the older and more conservative crowd.

The guy would rather sit on a bar stool than working until the right job comes along. He is more interested in being a bystander than doing something. That's his problem.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:13 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We were at a pub. He was a smoker. He was drinking $5 beers. His arms were sleeves of tattoos.

He told me that he spent his days on line filling out resume's and going to job fairs.

He's been unemployed since graduating low in his class.

I offered him a job with my business (contracting and painting) but he had no interest in "manual labor".

What are your thoughts?
He's 27, likely single and without kids, and he was clearly able to afford the tattoos, the smokes, and the $5.00 beers. So, why should he have taken a job he didn't want, when he's obviously got money coming from somewhere? Work is good to have, don't get me wrong, but it might also cut into the amount of time he can spend chasing jobs he'd really like to have, or further schooling if he goes on to get a graduate degree. I doubt he got a degree so he could do manual labor - no harm in him taking some extra time to find a job that uses his degree and that he wants before he starts looking for other opportunities.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:05 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
He's 27, likely single and without kids, and he was clearly able to afford the tattoos, the smokes, and the $5.00 beers. So, why should he have taken a job he didn't want, when he's obviously got money coming from somewhere? Work is good to have, don't get me wrong, but it might also cut into the amount of time he can spend chasing jobs he'd really like to have, or further schooling if he goes on to get a graduate degree. I doubt he got a degree so he could do manual labor - no harm in him taking some extra time to find a job that uses his degree and that he wants before he starts looking for other opportunities.
Maybe he'll get it together after his mom throws him out.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:30 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post

No engineer I know had tattoos. None smoked. Very few drank.
Most adults drink at least occasionally, regardless of profession. Engineers are no different. Most engineers that I know don't smoke and don't have tattoos (at least not visible ones), but there are exceptions.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Thomas Edison said, "Most people don't recognize opportunity because it goes around dressed in overalls and looks like work."

No engineer I know had tattoos. None smoked. Very few drank. He sounds like a painter to me. He should take your offer and try to make something of it. He can meet people, get some kind of experience, make a few bucks, fill empty time on his resume.

If he applied to me for an engineering position, I'd be more likely to hire him if he accepted a non-engineering job than if he hung out in bars waiting until he got an opportunity "good enough" for him.
I don't know many who smoke, but most of the ones I know drink like fish and many have tattoos.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:22 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
But I was told it was impossible for an engineer to be unemployed?

Old 05-19-2014, 05:34 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Also, if he wants to be an engineer, why did he graduate near the bottom?
Are you saying: What was the reason for him graduating near the bottom of his class?

Or: He knew that he wanted to be an engineer, so why did he let himself graduate near the bottom of his class?

Somebody has to be at the bottom of the engineering class. We can't all be geniuses. Maybe he loves engineering, but had a slight learning handicap. Maybe he partied too much his freshman year and that ruined his GPA (been there, done that). Maybe his parents died in a fiery auto accident and he failed one of his junior semesters. Maybe he had a hot 18 yr old girlfriend that, ahem, monopolized his time. We don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment