Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:18 AM

210 posts, read 412,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Agree. I can't count the number of under thirties that tell me they're a "welder" in "the Patch" and they don't own any welding equipment and can't indicate the "tickets" they have.

as Dad said, in l965 when there became a glut of Engineers : Did they become Eng. because they wanted to be Eng. or because someone told them it made lots of money?

There are lots of reasons people become engineers... but I doubt the primary reason is making lots of money. Unless this person has some low standards. People that want to make "lots" (relatively more than) money... any health profession. Even assistants are making $$. I know some pharmacist that I think are complete morons making quite a better living than my super duper smart engineering friends (one being an MIT grad).

The engineers I know... at least the competent ones just want to make new and cool ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:40 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What are your thoughts?
What kind of engineering and what was his GPA?

that will tell you all you need to know

Old 05-21-2014, 06:04 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
If the guy is 27, he probably got his bachelor's degree five years ago. I can't in my wildest imagination picture me sitting around for FIVE YEARS after college, waiting for my dream job to fall out of the sky. (For starters, I couldn't have afforded to.) If he was doing internships or volunteer work in his field to gain experience, I'd have no problem that he didn't bring in cash. But while he's losing five years of experience toward his future, someone else who graduated the same year he did took a crummy job and has already moved up to where this guy probably thinks he should start ... and likely never will given the fact that he's taken this pre-career vacation.

The smoking, the beer, and the inactivity has probably caused this fellow to forget half of the engineering he learned as an undergrad. He'd better revise his career goals because he already missed the boat unless a stunning need for engineers suddenly and shockingly occurs in the nation.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:30 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjhku View Post
The engineers I know... at least the competent ones just want to make new and cool ****.

That is true. It's not always about the money. I get to make stuff that has never existed before and use new and interesting technology. I enjoy my job...

..but I also enjoy getting paid well to do it.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:12 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
This is a troll, right?
Given that the original post itself was highly suspicious in that the engineer seemed more like a caricature of "those lazy unemployed people" vs. an actual human being, I'd say the answer to your question is "yes."

Anyone who thinks we live in a meritocracy is either deluding themselves or has simply experienced plenty of good fortune in life and is not able to differentiate between that good fortune and their own skills - in short, the Just World Fallacy.

There are countless people who are skilled in their fields who are out of work. Why?

1) Not enough jobs: Nobody cares how skilled everyone is if there are 10,000 people in a given field and only 5,000 job openings... they can all be skilled experts, and only half of them will be employed.

2) Absurd job requirements: You can be very skilled in your field, but since your field doesn't happen to include 3 to 5 years of experience in this year's hot field of study, nobody cares. In short, yes, you may be a skilled mechanical engineer who designs a specific type of DoD systems, but if there's no demand for that current skill set today, than you will NOT be able to transfer your experience over to a similar field. Nope - you either have 3 to 5 years experience in whatever EXACT background the company wants, or you don't get past the resume filters and are instead declared "useless" and "unskilled."

3) Connections beats performance: Even if you are qualified for a job - and the job exists - you can still lose out to a connected nit-wit because too many people are more interested in hiring and retaining buddies than workers.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:33 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,076 times
Quote:
Your first sentence is a contradiction.

BTW.....do you support "immigration reform"?
How is it a contradiction? I am a high performer at my current job and had nearly a 4.0 GPA in grad school.

Immigration is a good thing, BTW.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
Quote:
This is a troll, right?
No. All the programmers I know are able to find work with relative ease.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:33 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
No. All the programmers I know are able to find work with relative ease.
Oh. Well that settles it.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:11 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
We were at a pub. He was a smoker. He was drinking $5 beers. His arms were sleeves of tattoos.

He told me that he spent his days on line filling out resume's and going to job fairs.

He's been unemployed since graduating low in his class.

I offered him a job with my business (contracting and painting) but he had no interest in "manual labor".

What are your thoughts?
Since I was once a 30-year-old unemployed engineer (non-smoker and no tattoos though), I think you have no clue how the system works. He's actually taking his job search seriously, so don't get on him about that. Depending on how you "offered" him a job in "contracting and painting," he might have interpreted it as you saying you don't think he can get an engineering job. If you said something like "well I know you're still searching for an engineering job, but if you're interested, I run a contracting and painting business and I'd be more than happy to have you earn a few extra dollars while you continue your search," then he might have been a bit more interested. It also might be that you're a stranger and he doesn't trust somebody he just met. Or maybe he's making some money on the side already.

A better thing to have done would have been to mention any contacts you might have with people in his area of field, and maybe gotten an e-mail address or something. That might have been a lot more successful.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
This is a troll, right?
Only if "troll" means "true", then yea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment