Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 AM

241 posts, read 317,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If someone was changing careers or maybe gone back to school after a trade, retail, or admin career, would you hire them?

Why or why not?

Say it's a fairly competitive field like computers, accounting, engineering, finance, law, etc. If you were the boss, would you do it? Or maybe some of you have some experience with this.

Let's say the person has no kids or at least none to take care of, so that is not an obstacle.
Not only would I, I did. It was a great decision. His wife was on assignment with NATO so they moved from D.C. to our area in the Netherlands. He was a retired former Army Ranger and while he had no experience in the job and would probably leave in 2-3 years, I hired him over more qualified (younger) candidates. The younger candidates behaved liked they were owed the job. We didn't have a large pool of qualified talent to choose from so some applicants took this as a sign that we needed them. What we really needed was someone dependable (which he was), willing to learn (which he did) and easy to get along with (which he was). The technical stuff could be taught and we paid for him to go through a few weeks of intense training and we taught him the rest on the job. It was the best hiring decision I have ever made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 10:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,009,245 times
I think that depends on what your looking for. If older its more likely they will cost more insure cost since most larger companies are self insured and rates go up with claims the next year. If looking to train often you get limit years if looking for a long term climb the latter candidate. That is why 40's seems to be so often the case with no experience ;IMO. Other than that most are looking for experience when hiring older workers.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:34 AM

10,836 posts, read 14,963,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If I was looking for an entry level worker.. Sure.

Remember, at 40, someone still has, in theory, around 27 years of working life left. And, in reality, you've just described someone who went into the military at 20 years old and just retired.
Which for some companies could be a a very good deal in that he will always have health insurance that will never cost the company a dime.

Also, he is most likely getting a couple thousand a month retirement so chances are good he wouldn't fuss about a raise until it is time.

At 40 to 50 I would hire someone like that.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,793,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think that depends on what your looking for. If older its more likely they will cost more insure cost since most larger companies are self insured and rates go up with claims the next year. If looking to train often you get limit years if looking for a long term climb the latter candidate. That is why 40's seems to be so often the case with no experience ;IMO. Other than that most are looking for experience when hiring older workers.
We found the reverse true for those 65 and older.

One of the medical billers is 73 and does an outstanding job... dependable and efficient and never misses a day of work.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:54 AM

149 posts, read 311,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If someone was changing careers or maybe gone back to school after a trade, retail, or admin career, would you hire them?

Why or why not?

Say it's a fairly competitive field like computers, accounting, engineering, finance, law, etc. If you were the boss, would you do it? Or maybe some of you have some experience with this.

Let's say the person has no kids or at least none to take care of, so that is not an obstacle.
===============================================

For trade jobs, NO..

For admin jobs, 40-50 year-old FEMALE i may consider..

For retail jobs, possibly, if the 40-50 year-old doing for fun of meeting and helping people, not for any career advancement.... good to hire..

Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,238,185 times
I got an entry level position at 39. I look younger than I am, though. Still, they knew I when I graduated college and how much experience I had in other jobs. I'm sure they did the math.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:32 AM

149 posts, read 311,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I got an entry level position at 39. I look younger than I am, though. Still, they knew I when I graduated college and how much experience I had in other jobs. I'm sure they did the math.
Many financial advisors ( insurance agents ), real estate salesmen, are older than you.. , they are the cases of working entry level as old workers, but they think they're not entry level sales/customer service, yet they're independent professionals

Old 05-05-2014, 02:46 PM

390 posts, read 825,792 times
If someone is reliable, efficient, and easy to work with, they can be 80 years old for all I care. I work with a lot of people remotely, who I have no idea how old they are. I was surprised to learn one of the people I had been working with for a while was in his 60s - I had thought he was in his 30s. Age really doesn't matter. Work ethic, reliability, and attitude is what matters.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:00 AM

35,169 posts, read 31,469,332 times
I would, as they could very well be a career change or simply have no ambition to move up, but are competent at whatever job they're doing.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:14 AM

29,532 posts, read 22,780,153 times
Never.

Even 30s is pushing it.

The nerve of people in their 40s and above looking for work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment