Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:01 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,043,649 times

Advertisements

I've never seen it either. But often times I have seen the outgoing employee get paid off for his notice period. Especially in Hi-tech, they don't want to take any chance that information walks out the door, so its a cheap protection policy to just pay off two weeks and wish them well within a day or so of giving notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:37 AM

13,545 posts, read 17,098,877 times
I've had this multiple times in the past. It almost always mean that there is a fire to put out and that the company is poorly managed, if not going under, and then you just burned your last bridge and are employed by a failing company. If you have other options, don't do it.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,184,779 times
it might be a conflict of interest if his former employer was a competitor. i wouldn't take one, hearsay piece of info like that and use it to form wild widespread conclusions...

Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 AM

38,933 posts, read 24,021,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If they are doing it to test your integrity to see if you will burn your old company then that is a crappy move. I wouldn't want to work there if they pulled that crap.

Imagine having to choose to burn your old company for chance at a better life for your family then being told "Oh sorry, we don't like that you burned your old company, so we aren't hiring you after all". Then you are jobless. I highly doubt anyone does this. They should figure out your integrity during the interview.
Yeah, I imagine anyone thinking that is using a strawman argument or at the very least do not know what they are talking about. That is as HR psycho-babble as you can get if you believe that for an Excalibur test during the hiring process.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:52 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,877,218 times
Quote:
If they are doing it to test your integrity to see if you will burn your old company then that is a crappy move. I wouldn't want to work there if they pulled that crap.

Imagine having to choose to burn your old company for chance at a better life for your family then being told "Oh sorry, we don't like that you burned your old company, so we aren't hiring you after all". Then you are jobless. I highly doubt anyone does this. They should figure out your integrity during the interview.
The reasoning behind it is that someone who will leave their previous employer in a bind will most likely do the same to the new company if something "better" comes along.

While one can learn a lot about a candidate in an interview and using hypothetical situations, a person's true character comes out in real life situations much quicker and more honestly.

I have been told to do some things that I simply was not okay with and will never be okay with. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:18 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,184,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
The reasoning behind it is that someone who will leave their previous employer in a bind will most likely do the same to the new company if something "better" comes along.

While one can learn a lot about a candidate in an interview and using hypothetical situations, a person's true character comes out in real life situations much quicker and more honestly.

I have been told to do some things that I simply was not okay with and will never be okay with. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
i'm sure it has happened but overall i can't see an HR dept bothering to go through with an interview an offer just to "test" a person after everything is already on the table. what do they do if the employee fails the "test"?

Old 04-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i'm sure it has happened but overall i can't see an HR dept bothering to go through with an interview an offer just to "test" a person after everything is already on the table. what do they do if the employee fails the "test"?
There are usually more candidates for a position than there are available opportunities. Candidate A is the most qualified and available, but has questionable ethics. Candidate B is a close second and also available. I have given (and received) offers to second or third choice candidates. Nobody except internal people know why the first candidate didn't pan out.

I interviewed a guy that just didn't mesh for some reason. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I had my secretary send him a rejection latter and put his application in the "declined" pile. The owner got upset with me and hired the guy anyway. He "fell" off a ladder less than a month later and filed a lawsuit against the company. Then, they found out that he had a long track record of on-the-job "injuries." Of course, the owner was mad the guy was such a trouble-maker but I had nothing to do with it. I've had other company owners outright tell me which races and genders I could not hire no matter how qualified they were for the job. I think most people would be shocked at what laws HR people are told to break every day. Or, to have somebody on the board or in an executive position demand to overlook certain people's unproductive/inappropriate behavior. It happens all the time.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:30 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,637,636 times
It's one thing to do take ethics into account before making the offer. But making the offer then testing their ethics when they probably put in 2 week notice already is downright MEAN.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
It's one thing to do take ethics into account before making the offer. But making the offer then testing their ethics when they probably put in 2 week notice already is downright MEAN.
It sounds like you mean this is happening AFTER an offer is made. That's not necessarily true. Sometimes, the question can come up in the interview process. Many times an interviewer will ask "If we were able to get an offer together for you, when can you start?" or something along those lines. There is a way to ask the question BEFORE an official offer is made.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:54 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,157,460 times
I've been asked to do this, but always balked. I tell them I want to treat my current employer the same way I would treat you if I ever left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment