Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 PM

128 posts, read 180,930 times

Advertisements

I work in a very small office. The environment is, shall I say, loose. They all swear, talk about personal things constantly and act silly in general. This is a lot different from previous office cultures I have worked in, where you were expected to be very professional and proper.

While I think some of this is good, for the most part I don't like to talk too much about my personal life at work, and I like to keep some boundaries between myself and my coworkers and boss. The problem is, I think they're taking my caution as rejection. I want to establish myself as a professional person, so while I do laugh at their jokes and stay polite, I am just not comfortable being as transparent as they are with each other.

I want to be careful with my boundaries. But, I don't want my team to think I don't like them. Am I in a no-win situation here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 03:06 AM

387 posts, read 870,720 times
Perhaps decide in advance what to share and create boundaries that way.
I have a similar situation and have decided I will talk freely about kids, sport, hobbies - and leave out relationships, money, religion - because I don't like talking about those with coworkers

Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
You're doing the right thing the problem is some companies have changed over to what they call the "casual work environment". The casual work environment is the equivalent of putting 10 six year olds in a room together and letting them do whatever they want for 8 hours a day. What your coworkers are doing is considered acceptable at these companies and it leads to a long list of problems such as cronyism, rampant frat boy sorority girl mentality and unchecked workplace harassment. In my experience when you let the animals run wild...bad things happen.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,460 times
Give it some time, you may end up actually liking the work environment. Sounds a lot better than some of the stuffy places at my company. Some offices are so quiet you can hear a pin drop. That's not my idea of an ideal work place.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:31 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Sounds better than working with a bunch of stuff old cods. I think once you are there for awhile you will appreciate the environment. This is assuming it isn't too bad and/or breaking any laws or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment