Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,321 times

Advertisements

If you pay all at once, can you save some money on the interest?

Say you have $25k student loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 01:35 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
If there is an interest rate then yes, you can save money. How much depends on the rate, the amount, and the payment amount.

This isn't a work question BTW, it belongs in personal finance.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 PM

189 posts, read 326,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebister;34094304[I
]If you pay all at once, can you save some money on the interest?[/i]

Not a finance major, huh?

Old 03-29-2014, 01:48 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
In some situations, no matter the loan, it might be best to invest (spread) that money out to other places than to throw everything at one particular loan. You can still pay a loan off faster than it's payback date, but don't lose years of your life worrying about it and living like a hermit because of it.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:53 PM

508 posts, read 663,485 times
I disagree. It is ALWAYS better to pay the loan off. Then if you want to invest - and remember that brings with it some risk (how much varies with the investment) of losing your principal - you can invest the money that would otherwise have gone toward loan payments.

Going debt-free - or at least as debt-free as possible, given the cost of buying a home - protects you from any drops in income or interruptions in employment. Until one has at least a year's worth of expenses in a savings account, investing is an unnecessary risk. ESPECIALLY in this economic climate, and ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY if you are at entry-level in whatever your field is.

However, in the general course of things, if you have other debt besides student-loan debt, it is better to pay that off first, starting with the highest interest rate loans. If you lose your job you can get an abeyance on your student loans - but remember to keep filing that paperwork over and over again until your situation improves. Due to my long illness, my son was filing that paperwork - and he didn't know that he had to keep filing it, so my student loans fell into collections when they shouldn't have, thus destroying my credit rating.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:17 PM

514 posts, read 764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
I disagree. It is ALWAYS better to pay the loan off. Then if you want to invest - and remember that brings with it some risk (how much varies with the investment) of losing your principal - you can invest the money that would otherwise have gone toward loan payments.

Going debt-free - or at least as debt-free as possible, given the cost of buying a home - protects you from any drops in income or interruptions in employment. Until one has at least a year's worth of expenses in a savings account, investing is an unnecessary risk. ESPECIALLY in this economic climate, and ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY if you are at entry-level in whatever your field is.

However, in the general course of things, if you have other debt besides student-loan debt, it is better to pay that off first, starting with the highest interest rate loans. If you lose your job you can get an abeyance on your student loans - but remember to keep filing that paperwork over and over again until your situation improves. Due to my long illness, my son was filing that paperwork - and he didn't know that he had to keep filing it, so my student loans fell into collections when they shouldn't have, thus destroying my credit rating.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Why would you pay off a loan with a meager 4-6% interest rate when you could instead be earning anywhere from 10-20% in the market? Moreover, why pay off a loan that provides borrowers a myriad of incentives to pro-long re-payment without penalty? If you have cash, in this low-interest rate environment, you should be looking for returns not paying down debt-levels beyond requirement.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:03 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Why would you pay off a loan with a meager 4-6% interest rate when you could instead be earning anywhere from 10-20% in the market? Moreover, why pay off a loan that provides borrowers a myriad of incentives to pro-long re-payment without penalty? If you have cash, in this low-interest rate environment, you should be looking for returns not paying down debt-levels beyond requirement.
Exactly, not to mention timing. Some investments have windows and you'll want to invest when you can instead of making large payments towards a low APR loan.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:17 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebister View Post
You call the lending company and they can tell you exactly how much you would pay on what date and how much that would save you.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:31 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebister View Post

Yes, you can save some money on the interest.

Can you make more money than you would pay in interest by investing that capital instead? Quite likely.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:03 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
take out a loan on an unsecured credit card, default, and then declare bankruptcy while working off the books. once your record is clear, come back on the books. poof! free college degree. white collar smart alecks game the system by taking bailouts for their companies from tax payers. YOU should too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment