Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 10:31 PM

674 posts, read 1,056,599 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 20's.

We know it's rigged. Being our parents terrifies us.

And we don't feel that - "not wanting to work" is being "negative". It's honest. We DO work despite this general mindset.

A lot of it is the work we are doing. If we were out being employed creating parks, and cleaning up the environment, or other things our generation cares about as a priority - then it would be a different story. Doing good in the world matters to us. Not private interests of the company we work for. Not only that, many of us are very distrustful of the companies we work for. We know that we are not valued, despite the literature in the desk. Our pensions will be slashed after years of loyalty and this "work" you're expecting us to bend over backwards and do.

We know that getting an education is ridiculously overpriced. We work long, robotic, mind-numbing shifts at fast food restaurants or similar to pay for our overpriced education so that we can get a "good job" that will allow us to get a nice place to live, a nice car and then pay off our student loans for the next 10-20 years. Our economy makes no sense and is out of our hands so that's why the majority of us don't care about it or getting a job that allows us to climb the corporate ladder to the penthouse.

We're all constantly communicating with each other and the outside world. Our values are different as a result of that interconnected mindset and most of us just don't feel that "because you have to" is a good reason to be listening to corporate nonsense about numbers and "more" and "better"; and other things correlating to more work for better numbers on a sheet of paper instead of spending time with our friends, enjoying nature and wanting to experience life, or doing something important, not "work".

Last edited by OhAcid; 03-15-2014 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 11:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
That is true, this current generation is the most tolerant and least prejudiced, studies have shown that.

In regards to the hardworking part, what you are seeing is the exception not the norm. Think of it this way, statistics and the distribution of the mentioned in the statistics are not uniform. For example, take the statistics for income; 50% of individuals make less then 27K a year and 1% make over 250K a year. But if you go to neighborhoods they aren't uniformly constructed. The rich 1% all live in their own neighborhood where everyone around them is of equal status. So a rich kid who hasn't learned about the world will think that his life is normal. Same for the ones making 27K; people in his neighborhood will generally be of around the same pay grade. So his kids will think that his life is the norm.
These two are quite possibly the most truth in this your entire post and nothing of pure stereotypes.

Quote:
So you just happen to be in an environment where your around the exceptions in generation Y. Therefore, you are seeing the ones that work hard. Trust me most are pretty damn lazy and spoiled. Even the military admitted they had to "tone down" boot camp standards because of how soft overall generation Y is.
I think that you are wrong, millennials just perhaps work different. As human beings we are prone to hate things that are different. Different can be better. There are sure to be slackers but I don't think it would be a majority like you think.

To go back to the military point, remember that Full Metal Jacket video I linked?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Gee you hear any of the "insults" from Full Metal Jacket when an entire generation is taught to "eliminate the hate" and "be a star, not a bully" and that words like f**, g**, q****, f*****, r*****, et all are wrong and should never be said by academia. I mean watch this video and tell me how many insults are in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TNhS81w4bM
Well in that "best of boot camp" I found one instance of racial slur usage, 11 instances of gay slur usage, (several other sexual slurs occurred during the movie including one about old people having sex,) two instances of fat insults, four instances of physical abuse. Remember, the millennials as you mentioned are the most tolerant and least prejudiced generation as well as my point of being browbeaten that making said slurs are wrong. IMO, when you have that as a basis, it is hard to see why they tone down standards... That and how few people go into the military of course.

Quote:
As far as the company loyalty goes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having no loyalty to companies. In fact, I completely agree on your points regarding why we shouldn't have loyalty to them. However, because of the way a typical millennial thinks and the traits he has; they usually take this job hopping to an extreme. Because of their know it all attitude, idealism and sense of entitlement; many leave a job that they may hate but they don't think of long term consequences. Had they stayed at that job for say 5-8 years to set themselves up financially they could leave and do what they want. Instead they will quit without another job lined up and then moan/cry about how they can't find a job because the economy sucks.
Most people don't last 5 years in the same job anymore, the average is 4.4. The is for anyone in the workforce, not just millennials. Job Hopping Is the 'New Normal' for Millennials: Three Ways to Prevent a Human Resource Nightmare - Forbes

Quote:
We are probably the most intelligent and stupidest generation at the same time. We confuse our higher education and total amount of knowledge we possess as real intelligence. Real intelligence is the ability to think; the ability to use that knowledge to connect the dots of life to propel us to get ahead. Real intelligence is accepting that we will NEVER know everything and always strive to learn and self-improve. Millennials in general lack both of these abilities.
Millennials are also relatively young and naive as a cohort. I'll give you that. The me me me generation title is similar to the early gen Xers being slackers because (like millennials) they didn't want to work for the man nor be loyal. The issue is, we are fairly early on in the entrance of millennials into the workplace. Plus it doesn't help when many are held down (if only because they don't have the right experience for jobs) thanks to the recession and recovery.

Quote:
What good is advanced calculus if you don't know how to apply it to everyday life to help you? That's the biggest problem I see with our generation. We have absolutely no idea how to use this knowledge we possess because we don't know how to think.
This has always been the case though. Schools use weird examples, say a bird throwing a fish up in the air for the parabolic problems. Many of these math courses have ALWAYS been promoted as you will used them and most times the application is never actually used. My father, a boomer (mind you) experienced this in high school. Some is used but some are just nebulous concepts. Calculus for instance isn't used in everyday life as oppose to order of operations and distributive property, and basic functions (squaring, multiplication, addition, division, subtraction.)

Old 03-16-2014, 12:53 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,694,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm 26 and this is just a generalization. I have worked 4 professional full-time jobs as of now and in my experience it does not matter the age, it has to do with overall company dynamics, way too many things are involved with this.
I agree it's a generalization. Why is it people pay so much attention to that one Millennial who is just lazy, but the other Millennials who are working multiple jobs to make ends meet and are pinching pennies get ignored? If people really think all young people are just a bunch of whiny entitled and lazy brats, they've been paying attention to the wrong people.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:57 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,694,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

This generational warfare nonsense is getting old. I wish they'd just ban these threads. They crop up a few times a month, spawn endless trolling and hate-filled replies, and contribute absolutely nothing to the forum.
In addition, it's like complaining about the lazy while encouraging them to be lazy. I see a lot of "you Millennials are whiners and whine about not getting a job or getting trained on the job, but why should companies take the time to hire you and train you? just stop whining and get a job and figure it out" here. Just the same insane illogical circles, over and over.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:10 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,968,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
These two are quite possibly the most truth in this your entire post and nothing of pure stereotypes.

This has always been the case though. Schools use weird examples, say a bird throwing a fish up in the air for the parabolic problems. Many of these math courses have ALWAYS been promoted as you will used them and most times the application is never actually used. My father, a boomer (mind you) experienced this in high school. Some is used but some are just nebulous concepts. Calculus for instance isn't used in everyday life as oppose to order of operations and distributive property, and basic functions (squaring, multiplication, addition, division, subtraction.)
I have quite a few important tasks to tackle today so I will just address the two points above because those pertain the most to what we are talking about.

The two qualities you agree millennials possess were derived from the same studies that name the negative qualities of millennials. The qualities you see as stereotypes are not stereotypes. They are unfortunately the most prevalent qualities found in most millennials. You may not posses them, maybe none of your friends posses them. But most studies including the ones that are pro millennial agree on the negative personality traits I named.

I encourage you to look at the link I previously posted (to a pro millennial article) that has the results of these studies and do some research on your own. You will see that they are in line with my posts. I have no personal gain from bashing millennials, after all I'm one. I just call it like I see it. Unfortunately the facts about our generation speaks for itself.

Me referring to calculus was for the exact reason you stated. As you said it does not usually have an application in everyday life. Yet, we Millennials in our self delusion of greatness think that because we are highly educated in whatever we are educated in means that we are “smarter, intelligent, special, better etc.” I’m referring to ANY degree. I was merely using calculus as an example. We have so little actual intelligence and common sense that most of us can’t see that higher education just means we have more knowledge. It doesn’t mean we are equipped to deal with the world nor does it mean we know how to apply that knowledge to improve ourselves.

Millennials in general are so handicapped in terms of dealing with the real world that it’s laughable. It’s not our fault, it’s the parents fault but the fact still stands. Our generation is the equivalent of a juvenile tiger that was never taught to hunt so it has no survival skills. And most of us millennials will stay that way because of our deluded narcissistic “know it all” attitude. A prime example of that can be found right here on this thread. Read post # 12(my original post), 24 (reply to my post), 25, 26 and 29, just that exchange alone speaks volumes about our generations inablity to exercise common sense and logic.

One of the first steps to achieving greatness is to understand and admit ones flaws. Most millennials are too deluded in the belief of his or her greatness to ever even get to that first step.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:26 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,645,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I agree it's a generalization. Why is it people pay so much attention to that one Millennial who is just lazy, but the other Millennials who are working multiple jobs to make ends meet and are pinching pennies get ignored? If people really think all young people are just a bunch of whiny entitled and lazy brats, they've been paying attention to the wrong people.
yep I am 30 years old and do not out me in that group . I work 40 hours a week and go to college taking night classes 3 nights week every Monday, Tuesday,and Wednesday 7:50 pm till 10 pm get home and eat ,shower, sit down to study it is 11:30 pm then go to bead around 3 am to get up a 7:30 am to go for a run and get ready for work.

The desire to feel like I am not a loser drives me. I don't know if that's the healthiest thing to be motivated by a fear of hating yourself.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,968,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Most people misconstrue the term most or in general. Those terms are dependent on what we are talking about, historical trends related to that subject and a good understanding of mathematics. For example, in football a score of 7-0 is considered a close game. Whereas in baseball 7-0 is a blowout. Or in a presidential election, a win of 49%-47% is considered a landslide.

In terms of millennials being labeled with a lot of the negative traits they are labeled with, the same concept applies. Its not that MOST millennials have those traits, its just that more in comparison to previous generations have those traits. Let’s say that only 10% of X'ers can be categorized as narcissistic but 20% of gen Y has that same trait. Although the majority of Y's are still not narcissistic that’s a HUGE jump in proportions in comparison to previous generations. In turn, the nationwide impact of Y's possessing that trait will be much higher in comparison to the previous generation.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:41 AM

303 posts, read 396,507 times
But... narcissists are only 1% of the population.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:07 AM

841 posts, read 1,122,111 times
The first job I had in my 20's, I didn't like it. But, I didn't complain and gripe to my supervisor or upper management telling them I didn't like certain aspects of my job. Maybe I was the only person dumb enough not to complain? Geez. I probably thought that I would get fired eventually for an attitude or saying I don't like filing so I'm not going to do that.

What bothers me is upper management, supervisors, etc. know how the employees feel about their job. They know because these people are complaining to them. It's not like these employees have a choice and can pick and choose what they like to do and what they don't want to do. That is, unless they turn in their resignation and find another job that better suits them. They go out to the client and perform certain aspects that are expected of them while doing an audit. What part of being an accountant do they not understand?

Like I said before. Buck up and get the work experience and then look for another job a few years down the road.

I'm going to ask one of the supervisors that has been working here a long time to see if this has been the case in previous years.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
I can guarantee you, millennials will be the worst generation in the workplace until generation z. I know we will complain about them in another 15 or so years when they start to enter the workplace. Why because the older workers have ALWAYS complained about the latest generation because they have the power and fear the psychological changes. We've seen this time and time again.

Quote:
Some typical general traits that describe them are: Selfish, narcissistic, know it all's, lack of respect for experience, entitled attitude, spoiled, lazy etc. How do I know all this? Unfortunately I'm part of this generation and I see this in my peers all the time. To be honest, if someone initially judged me based on my DOB I wouldn't blame them, because as a whole our generation is pretty pathetic.
Couldn't this be a trait of ANY young generation entering the workplace? You may link them to an actual study but are you sure that we were the first generation to actually do it. For instance, if you are going to tell me that millennials aren't the only ones who are checking facebook statuses, online shopping or whatever during workhours, I would have to say you are wrong. The reason why Cyber Monday is called Cyber Monday is because people would use WORK computers to find Black Friday like deals. I myself got yelled at a job for using a clock-out computer for something other than clocking out that I DIDN'T do. I only ever went in that room for clock-outs and reports. I later found out it was an employee that has worked there for several years. I didn't even know the window was open but because I was the last, occam's razor worked against me and I got yelled at for having a window open I didn't even know was there...

The way I see the issue is if anything is millennials "haven't paid their dues to slack off." The issue is this type of thinking creates an us vs. them mentality, as much as millennial bashing (deserved and undeserved) does. If we get yelled at for looking at computer usage but we here other employees gloat about it, it ruins your credibility as a boss. A quality we all look for in a boss is that they are supposed to be fair correct? How is it fair when you notice a millennial worker checking their facebook once and you just so happen to catch them when they made their quick check while others have windows open when they use the bathroom showing what they are up to and nothing is said?

As for the poster from post #28 that rolled his eyes at you being a millennial, I can see it. You aren't acting like one. If anything I would say you maybe a Gen Xial who is one of those late gen x/early millennials that aren't exactly the millennials like myself (87) who it the age demographic and the technology aspects for sure (and maybe the others in varying degrees as I am a bit of a know-it-all (just because I remember a lot of crap like an idiot suvant.))

Last edited by mkpunk; 03-16-2014 at 01:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment