Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 PM

821 posts, read 1,105,383 times

Advertisements

Actually, the rudest, most jaded, most debased, and most corrupt people I've encountered at work are nearly all boomers and Gen-X'ers, with many of them thinking that despite not being owners, think who the f--- they are because they've been at a place of work for god knows how long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 02:53 PM

7,470 posts, read 7,065,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
I was referring to the studies that the article mentioned where they gave data on the traits I mentioned being more prevalent in millennial. I realize the article was very long so maybe you didn't have time to read the whole thing. I picked it for a reason. It was actually a pro-millennial article. After describing the negative traits the author gave a prediction of the future. He concluded that he believes that millennials will do well despite their shortcomings. I just wanted to give you a pro article because I'm not biased nor do I blindly hate millennials (after all I'm one).

But based on the history of human civilization I have to disagree with the author. Almost every great civilization has had preceding generation degrade in terms of qualities that helped them become great in the first place. It would be quite hard for me to believe that the USA will be the only exception in all of history. So based on that its likely that gen Y will be the worst yet.

However, I completely agree with you regarding the economy. That definitely was no fault of any millennials. Furthermore, they have much less opportunities to succeed in comparison to previous generations; though a lot of their lack of success has to do with the traits that I listed. My observation was purely in regards to them having a higher proportion of negative personality traits in comparison any previous generations.
Valid points in all cases.

I just took issue with the article's writing style since it had such a clear slant to it, which led me to question its validity.

Also, I can't say that I've been impressed with the ethics or morality of young people on average, either, but nearly all the grossly unprofessional behavior that I've seen that makes a workplace a living hell has come from the older generations in my experience. The only exceptions have been when the young troublemakers have powerful connections - daddy's a VP, etc.

Long story short, there are plenty of questionable people out there of any generation. I just hope the young people in this nation get their acts together and at least try to make this nation great again vs. just letting things continue to slide if it helps them in the short-run.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:10 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,983,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I just hope the young people in this nation get their acts together and at least try to make this nation great again vs. just letting things continue to slide if it helps them in the short-run.
Agreed, I honestly hope your right in regards to this and I'm wrong. After all, it will only help me if my generation ends up improving this country instead of destroying it.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:54 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,068,793 times
Young people suck, they have no work ethic, they are entitled. Here's what I think of when I see these posts about young workers. The part starts at 1:20...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCAIxbjQEc

Old 03-14-2014, 05:01 PM

872 posts, read 1,267,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Any evidence to support those claims of the Millennial being the worst? There are entitled idiots in every generation. Same with greedy ones, selfish ones, and ones with lack of respect.

Since these threads always degenerate into people trading stories based on personal experience, I'll just get mine out of the way first.

Things I have NOT seen a Millennial (or Gen X, Gen Y, etc.) do in the office:

1) Launch into a screaming, obscenity filled tirade at a coworker for no good reason at all.

2) Physically grab another coworker and threaten him.

3) Explode into a rant about how all the nation's problems are caused by "those people" - except the n-word was used instead. And this happened every week!

4) Give a me a short lecture as to why the KKK is a great organization since "lynching those people is just expressing your First Amendment rights."

5) Tell me why gays are all horrible people who should not have any legal rights because they are gross sinners... this rant is always given by some angry, overweight old slob who has no understanding of just how gross his bedroom activities would be to imagine.

6) Sexually harass anything that moves of the opposite sex.

Yep, every one of the above stunts was pulled on multiple occasions by Boomers. I'm not condemning them as a generation, but seriously... the above crap is so unprofessional that it is sickening, and yet I'm to believe that "young people s*ck" because they expect too much money or play on Facebook during office hours (while the Boomers are off chatting by the water cooler.) Also, with regard to "respecting your elders" - quite frankly, based upon the above list of actual office behavior, I can see why many of them would not respect their elders until they demonstrated that they were not bigoted sociopaths.

This generational warfare nonsense is getting old. I wish they'd just ban these threads. They crop up a few times a month, spawn endless trolling and hate-filled replies, and contribute absolutely nothing to the forum.
Good god. is that what folks are like in Maryland?

Boomers or not...those are some appalling examples.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:00 PM

7,470 posts, read 7,065,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Good god. is that what folks are like in Maryland?

Boomers or not...those are some appalling examples.
In defense of the older generation, I've met plenty of great people that are up there in years as well, and I bear no ill will to any generation - only to individuals. Also, many of the above examples came from a very dysfunctional, hate-filled, failed machine shop that I can honestly say was the worst place I've ever worked by a long margin.

That being said, when folks blast the young for "terrible" things like playing with Facebook during lunch or expecting a huge amount of money as a new hire, I can't help but think, "Yeah, well at least he didn't take a swing at a coworker or give a Klan recruitment speech like some of the old-timers I've seen."

Old 03-14-2014, 07:11 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,143,428 times
I'm part of the generation that you are disparaging. I can't speak for every young person, but from what I've seen, we are some of the most hardworking people around, not out of desire but out of necessity. The competition we face is fierce, much more so than that of yesterday when a college degree was the golden ticket to the middle class lifestyle. As a whole, we are far more tolerant and accepting of others. We are too busy trying to get a job and pay our debt to care if Susie and Katie love each other...in fact, the majority of gen y supports legalizing gay marriage.

We also don't believe in loyalty to companies. Why should we after seeing so many loyal baby boomers kicked to the curb like garbage by their bosses?

Unlike past generations, we work to live, not live to work...and there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:25 PM

7,955 posts, read 7,909,962 times
Some of it is an odd argument because we have heard this decades prior over and over again. There is nothing wrong with using technology that is the tools we have in order go get things done.

Could an accountant do his or her work with a manual paper ledger rather than Excel? Sure but what would that prove and frankly no auditor would accept manual paper forms en masse. Could a designer not use CAD? Maybe but how do you send plans to the manufacturer knowing there can be errors?

Loyalty is pretty damn hard to come about. Mass culture has been replaced. Middle men are out. People care more about where the job is in a given period of time.

Sometimes older generations just need to learn to use technology. Years ago when I was at work an employee received a call from her company phone which was pretty much a walkie talkie. The customer got pretty mad...it's not a cell phone! Another was amazed we have to use computers to look things up. but when there's tens of thousands of products of course we cannot tell by hand if xyz is out! More importantly what would be the advantage of studying the numbers day in and out when the computers did it automatically and for free? There's some believe that you have to do something manually and do it the "hard" way. Brains wins over brawn.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Nope.

Most 20-somethings I work with are amazingly intelligent, hard working, and eager to prove themselves.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:02 PM

547 posts, read 942,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
My company hires most employees right out of college. Recently, I had to work with one and was surprised about her attitude. She was very negative and didn't want to work. I asked her what her dream job was or what she would rather be doing than this job. She said she didn't have a dream job and would just like to be outside, hiking, anything outside. I was surprised at this. I was talking to another lady in the office who is older and she works around a lot of the younger, twenty year olds. She told me that they gripe a lot about the work they are doing.

Anybody else see this where they work? Why do these young people not like working? At our office, they don't always work from 8 to 5; we require overtime certain times of the year.

Are their parents pushing them to get a college degree? I may not always like every thing I have to do at work, but I realize that a person has to do some things they don't like. Overall, I like what I do.
What kind of company do you work for? I can look and see what kinds of jobs they have. I'm currently looking for a better paying job and I'm 32 years old with a bachelors degree making 14,000 a year as a teacher aide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment