Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 PM

181 posts, read 218,864 times

Advertisements

I know how to work with Excel (writing formulae and conditional statements, conditional formatting, tables, graphs, charts, VBA programming, pivot tables). How do I prove to a potential employer how much I know without a formal degree or training or schooling? Or do I have to go through formal training just so I can earn a degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:39 PM

303 posts, read 397,366 times
There's a MOS certification for Excel, and you'd just have to pass the test - there's no requirement for classes, and you can put it on your resume. If you go to a staffing agency, they also test you for Excel proficiency. Additionally, you also have the option of putting your skills to use in a volunteer project or as a freelancer and report it as experience either on your resume or in relevant interview anecdotes.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:25 AM

12,124 posts, read 23,416,161 times
I know a number of people who use Excel for their jobs and none of them have any certification in it. I would expect to be asked proficiency questions and, possibly, asked to demonstrate your capabilities.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,874 posts, read 81,907,203 times
We have many jobs that require Excel skills, and ask people to rate themselves on a scale of 1-10 in the interviews. We then ask a question or two that tests that. If a person tells us they are a 10 and slips through, once we discover otherwise we have the 6 month probationary period to let them go, though that's very rare. We do not require or ask for any kid of certification. If we require a degree in business, accounting, or finance we would expect that to have resulted in some good training in Excel. We have about 2,000 employees and over 400 job titles, but I am not aware of any that require advanced Excel skills without some other kind of degree or 3-5 years experience doing that kind of work.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:41 AM

38 posts, read 58,664 times
About 10 years ago when I was working in San Fran we had a job opening that required Excel experience. Several applicants "claimed" they could navigate and use this program without any problems. My gut said "check"! The second interview -- we did a small testing that was very basic ...not one of them could do a thing!

I think you have to play it by ear on how the conversation goes - if you are asked to rate yourself ...say a 10 if you feel you are at a 10, but be prepared to show them. Interviews can go either way depending on the interviewer.

We also had people claim to be experts at Solidworks and Autocad, yet they could not navigate that program either. It was a guy with 1 year of technical training from a school that took his basic knowledge and made a 15 yr career of his experience and passion for the skill we hired. He ended up schooling US!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 AM

420 posts, read 770,806 times
Easy.

Resume-

Skills and Accomplishments:

Expert in the implementation of Microsoft Excel and the Microsoft Office Work Suite.

That's exactly what I do. If you know the program, if they test you there won't be an issue.

(Imo) Forget about the accreditation for learning a single piece of software.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,580,559 times
In my case, it was easy. I showed the interviewer my college background, which had no programming classes at all. I then showed him all the mobile apps I've published.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:00 PM

251 posts, read 343,153 times
Just add a skills section to your resume and list out all the computer programs you know. Excel is a very common program. You wouldn't need certification unless a specific job required it.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM

5,488 posts, read 4,503,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDweller View Post
I know how to work with Excel (writing formulae and conditional statements, conditional formatting, tables, graphs, charts, VBA programming, pivot tables). How do I prove to a potential employer how much I know without a formal degree or training or schooling? Or do I have to go through formal training just so I can earn a degree?
I'm not aware of any degree, major, or otherwise program that covers Excel to such a professional level. Perhaps in some of the Econ or Business courses (like Accounting) where they may be required to show medium or higher proficiency with certain aspects given it can be considered part of the "tools of the trade". Studies like statistics, compounding interest, etc. I took a few business courses and they taught us how to do flowcharts on Visio.

Be ready to show some work by providing emailing samples if requested, and also ready to demonstrate, or answer questions about intermediate knowledge and concepts.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,580,356 times
Odd question. Excel is so common that there is no need to prove anything. Just put it on your resume. Some places may test you but if you know it, you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment