Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:37 PM

361 posts, read 725,722 times

Advertisements

I recently started a new job, after quiting the last one because my boss was harassing me.
I now find myself a little uncomfortable working too closely with a male boss. For my current job, I was told that I was only going to assist the head of the department who-thankfully - is a woman, but since I started, it looks like I will also work closely with a few other male senior staff, which makes me uncomfortable. I haven't met them all yet-just a few-but have been told by this lady I'm replacing, that they are all married; but that didn't stop my last boss.

Unfortunaly I find myself -probably- misinterpreting the way they look at me.
I am expected to work with all of them and always be smiling and nice.

How would you guys suggest that I work with everyone without looking nervous and making it uncomfortable for all?

Last edited by Flamboyante; 03-12-2014 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 04:40 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
I would suggest you not base your judgement on someone else especially since you have not even met them.
There are men who are married who actually want to be married and are in love with and faithful to their wives.
The discomfort is of your own making at this point.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:46 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,908 times
I'm sorry, but I have to comment on this. Speaking as a gay male, sometimes I'm scared to death of interacting with females at the work place. Be nice to them and the next thing you know they think you're hitting on them. Give them a smile and it's now sexual harassment.

Right now, my office is all males. I'm hoping it will stay this way. And I'm one of the bosses you speak of. We're suppose to get a batch of interns soon. Hopefully, they won't send a female our way. Our corporate office downtown have female bosses. That place should be better for them.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:49 PM

84 posts, read 105,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to comment on this. Speaking as a gay male, sometimes I'm scared to death of interacting with females at the work place. Be nice to them and the next thing you know they think you're hitting on them. Give them a smile and it's now sexual harassment.

Right now, my office is all males. I'm hoping it will stay this way.
I'm fairly certain that you're hitting on me right now.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:49 PM

420 posts, read 768,789 times
Good luck with your gender bias. I would only work for a pre-op transexual, thus I've been out of work for months...lol

Old 03-12-2014, 04:56 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,003,083 times
If you aren't willing to work with men, well, I'm not sure what to tell you. Even all women's health gyms generally have some male staff. Perhaps counseling is in order as this really is a problem you have to get past.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:12 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,317,781 times
Men make up a rather significant portion of the population, that said I think talking to a therapist is in line.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:27 PM

361 posts, read 725,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would suggest you not base your judgement on someone else especially since you have not even met them.
There are men who are married who actually want to be married and are in love with and faithful to their wives.
The discomfort is of your own making at this point.
Actually the older they are, the more comfortable I feel and it's not ALL MEN. I get this feeling by the way the person looks at me.
I've met two of them and I don't like the way one has been looking at me. He's actually very nice, but I just don't like to be stared at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post

Right now, my office is all males. I'm hoping it will stay this way. And I'm one of the bosses you speak of. We're suppose to get a batch of interns soon. Hopefully, they won't send a female our way. Our corporate office downtown have female bosses. That place should be better for them.

You do realize that sexual harassment is more than just interacting with or being nice to someone, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you aren't willing to work with men, well, I'm not sure what to tell you. Even all women's health gyms generally have some male staff. Perhaps counseling is in order as this really is a problem you have to get past.
Never said I'm not willing to work with men. You may want to read the title of the thread again.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,714,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
You do realize that sexual harassment is more than just interacting with or being nice to someone, right?
I think you need to read his post again.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:45 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,145,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I recently started a new job, after quiting the last one because my boss was harassing me.
I now find myself a little uncomfortable working too closely with a male boss. For my current job, I was told that I was only going to assist the head of the department who-thankfully - is a woman, but since I started, it looks like I will also work closely with a few other male senior staff, which makes me uncomfortable. I haven't met them all yet-just a few-but have been told by this lady I'm replacing, that they are all married; but that didn't stop my last boss.

Unfortunaly I find myself -probably- misinterpreting the way they look at me.
I am expected to work with all of them and always be smiling and nice.

How would you guys suggest that I work with everyone without looking nervous and making it uncomfortable for all?
Perhaps they are looking at you because you're "looking nervous and making everyone uncomfortable"?

I'd suggest that you start expecting professional conducts from everyone starting with yourself and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment