Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:20 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,544,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Our jobs situation will continue to flounder so long as laborers fail to learn the new skills that are demanded by our transformed economy. We need a much more educated workforce in order to satisfy the recent, massive high-skilled job growth, but our educational attainment rates seem to indicate that this trend is not occurring.
As a STEM graduate I call BS. The job situation will continue to grow worse as long as companies are allowed to export jobs and import cheap slaves from other countries while continuing to do business here. Also laborers will continue to be unable to develop new skills as companies do not provide any sort of training and development to Americans and rely on purple squirrel job requirement and poaching workers from other companies. Also laborers won't even bother to try to learn the so called "demanded skills" as long as companies keep lowballing workers with them and using staffing agencies and laying them off in their 40's and never hiring them again.

a skills shortage really means a suckers shortage and when you are a con artist there are never enough suckers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 AM

Location: The Netherlands, Israel, Italy, Chicagoland, Alberta Canada
99 posts, read 163,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's still not like it was in 2000-2006, but far better than in 2007-2011. Companies that had layoffs and hiring freezes are again hiring, but not in the numbers that would bring them back to previous levels. In some cases they have found they can manage with fewer people.
^^ this is true it seems.

However you seem to be in WA and I have quite some connections there. The job situation is not and I don't think has been as bad as the Chicago area. I think that's where the OP is from but I don't know if that's where he is looking for work.

Also what job area are we talking about? I know most about construction and it seems to me that is still not really a lot better in Chicago (at least that's what I hear from friends etc). However in WA there are quite some opportunities.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 AM

7,470 posts, read 7,071,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
The above is absolutely true. And those 'true entry level' jobs goto the kids nearly fresh out of college or high school for the trades.
That one always burns me.

You go to the website of many big company, and they'll have a handful of jobs in one's field for "experienced professionals" - and nearly all of them have laughably narrow requirements. And yet, at the same time, they have a host of very general job openings available to anyone fresh out of college with the right degree and a bit of relevant experience, such as a few months of an internship or co-op. It's a joke - they don't mind a lack of experience if they can pay you less, but the moment you've been out of college a while, you're pigeon-holed into one career and are suddenly "untrainable" and "too expensive."

If it truly was all about a "lack of experience" when it comes to find the right workers, those jobs that require nearly none for the people fresh out of college would not exist. It's not the experience - it's the fact that companies want cheap labor and once you're over a certain age or experience level in your career, you're "too expensive" and thus an excuse is needed not to hire you, such as "not the right experience."

Old 03-10-2014, 08:56 AM

514 posts, read 769,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
As a STEM graduate I call BS. The job situation will continue to grow worse as long as companies are allowed to export jobs and import cheap slaves from other countries while continuing to do business here. Also laborers will continue to be unable to develop new skills as companies do not provide any sort of training and development to Americans and rely on purple squirrel job requirement and poaching workers from other companies. Also laborers won't even bother to try to learn the so called "demanded skills" as long as companies keep lowballing workers with them and using staffing agencies and laying them off in their 40's and never hiring them again.

a skills shortage really means a suckers shortage and when you are a con artist there are never enough suckers.
If you want a job in a chemistry related field, I highly advise you not look in North America. The biotech industry is incredibly small in North America, and as a result there are few jobs. I'd recommend you instead look to Switzerland, Germany, and Austria, where such industries are strong and in high need of experts in the natural sciences. You might have known this had you researched markets before choosing to elect a degree in Chemistry.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:59 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,317,997 times
Quote:
If you want a job in a chemistry related field, I highly advise you not look in North America. The biotech industry is incredibly small in North America, and as a result there are few jobs. I'd recommend you instead look to Switzerland, Germany, and Austria, where such industries are strong and in high need of experts in the natural sciences. You might have known this had you researched markets before choosing to elect a degree in Chemistry.

Like most people can pick up and move to Europe in the spur of the moment...

Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 AM

8,111 posts, read 10,195,712 times
There have been three 'industrial revolutions in this country. The most recent, the 'technological' revolution, has produced, comparatively, the least number of jobs. One might argue that this is quite logical.

Employment is weak...we haven't had a month where job creation was above contraction levels in years. It take something on the order of 250,000 new jobs to keep us above water.

With the unemployment rate somewhere in the mid to upper teens, and with the participation rate equally as anemic, one might characterize the jobs market as , yes, terrible.

The Fed has pumped trillion into the economy and had very little effect on creating growth and jobs. As they taper back, of necessity, one can assume that new jobs will be harder and harder to find.

It's not good, to put it mildly.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM

821 posts, read 1,106,115 times
Quote:
Very practical advice, picking up and moving to another country in which you will have zero social and familial ties, let alone professional ones, and where you might even know the language.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 AM

821 posts, read 1,106,115 times
Quote:
Let's see: all my engineering and business grad friends had jobs before they even graduated. Both my two social science grad friends (anthropology and psychology) are still underemployed today. The reason "college grads" are having difficulty finding work is because far too many of them are majoring in useless disciplines. Sorry, but it's a reality -- if your degree doesn't arm you with a marketable skill, you will NOT find employment after graduation.
Ah, gotta love the tiny personal examples. My five close friends, most of my acquaintances, and I myself, are employed. This has nothing to do with a large scale, nation-wide disaster.

How many friends do you speak of?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:28 PM

57 posts, read 79,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I don't believe the news lately that the job market is good, but I haven't been applying for jobs since my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on Dec 20, 2013. She died and now my life has changed a lot, losing her $4,198 / month contribution in paying the bills. More in another thread about my life changes, but anyway now I'm in the Philippines until April 22, 2014, a time for edification here...

Anyway, it is good for the economy that the US is spitting out false news about the US jobs market, then maybe more companies will hire people and feel upbeat about the economy. But the true figure to look at is the labor participation rate, and it is really low, - so actually a lot of people are still unemployed...

So how has this affected you in getting jobs and interviews lately? Did you also see an increase in job postings? Do you still run into a lot of competition for jobs? Are companies still lowballing job salaries? Do you think the job market improved or is it still bad?
There IS a limit on how many people you can hire to do "marketing." That's the new "industry" in the new USA.

People are slowly but surely beginning to realize that the old 9 cents to 16 cents per dollar spent on goods strictly to cover marketing costs has now increased to 24 to 46 cents per dollar. Prices reflect that. Business 101: there IS a limit to that. I think it has been reached. Stay tuned for a downsized, lower quality standard of living. Some get it, many don't.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:33 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,772,744 times
Let me share an email I recently received from a friend, who is a technical recruiter here in the Boston metro area:

Quote:
It's a tough job market right now, strangely – lots of jobs and a shortage of the right people!
In other words, the opposite of how things were as little as a year ago.

Of course, that's one market, one profession. Also, that's after the labor marketplace was utterly corrupted by a decade of devaluing of the value of work - it's natural after that for there to be some bounceback. Many companies realized that they cannot move forward with the Scrooge-like tactics of the past, and have grabbed up whatever good talent there was available, leaving only the dregs left looking for a job, at least around here, at least in this one profession.

Last edited by bUU; 03-10-2014 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment