Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 PM

973 posts, read 1,454,030 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but it's mostly to do with work. Why didn't Generation X put Baby Boomers in their place? Looking back, they had many opportunities to do so. Where they just outnumbered? Before anyone say it's respect or a natural order, my generation doesn't take the nonsense gen X does/did for the most part. We have no problem competing with gen Xers for things. I have a theory, but want to hear opinions first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 09:45 PM

497 posts, read 696,986 times
I'm a member of generation X, and I have no idea what you are talking about. Why would we have a need to "put baby boomers in their place?"

I, for one, am grateful for the generations before me. I don't feel the need to fight with them or compete with them. Instead, I try to learn from them.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 PM

10,223 posts, read 19,223,538 times
We're just outnumbered, yes. It was kind of funny when the Millennials came along the mainstream press started touting them as if they were the Second Coming, praising them for all the things we were attacked for, and claiming firsts for them (like growing up with computers or video games) which were ours. And then came the press's sudden but inevitable betrayal when the Millennials decided they'd like to take over, thank you very much.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:59 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,847,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but it's mostly to do with work. Why didn't Generation X put Baby Boomers in their place? Looking back, they had many opportunities to do so. Where they just outnumbered? Before anyone say it's respect or a natural order, my generation doesn't take the nonsense gen X does/did for the most part. We have no problem competing with gen Xers for things. I have a theory, but want to hear opinions first.
I don't usually generalize, but for the purposes of discussion, I will here.

Yes, it all comes down to numbers. We GenXers are spunky, independently-thinking people. But the truth is that there were WAY more of the Boomers than there were of us. In terms of spirit and capability, we had no aversion to "competing" with the Boomers. Regardless of our competency and higher levels of education, however, the Boomers were the majority, and the majority always rules.

I like the Millennials. I think they're a good group, and when they take over in 25- 30 years, everything will be fine (or certainly no worse than it is under the careful watch of the Boomers).

But, in my opinion, neither the Boomers nor the Millennials -as groups- are as independent, adaptable, and risk-taking as are GenXers, and neither generation possesses GenXer's distinctive combination of idealism and pragmatism.

It's all Darwinian, of course: these are qualities we GenXers adapted in order to survive. Adapt or perish, as they say.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
We're just outnumbered, yes. It was kind of funny when the Millennials came along the mainstream press started touting them as if they were the Second Coming, praising them for all the things we were attacked for, and claiming firsts for them (like growing up with computers or video games) which were ours. And then came the press's sudden but inevitable betrayal when the Millennials decided they'd like to take over, thank you very much.
I'm not trying to be funny, but how old where you when you had computers? My mom is a gen Xer and she always used a type writer and had to take a course in computers as an adult.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:09 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,665 times
It is clearly obvious that every member of generation X is superior in all aspects of life. They are better looking, more intelligent, and way more articulate than any other generation in history.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,482,791 times
Think just the sheer numbers of Baby Boomers in the workforce made it tough on some of us Gen X'rs. I'm at the front end of Gen X and ever since I started working in the early 80's I have had a Baby Boomer as a boss. My experience at the jobs I've had is that once a baby boomer gets in a position of power or influence they do whatever it takes to stay there. One of my boomer bosses told me that as a kid he had to fight for everything he wanted because of the sheer numbers of other kids his age. Had to fight for space in the classroom, position on ball teams, spots in college, so fighting for a good management job comes naturally. The boomers just plain outnumbered Gen X and to give them credit willing to fight and hold onto good jobs. But looking ahead at someplace like my current job, the last big bubble of baby boomers probably has about 5-7 productive years in the workplace ahead of them. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,847,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Think just the sheer numbers of Baby Boomers in the workforce made it tough on some of us Gen X'rs. I'm at the front end of Gen X and ever since I started working in the early 80's I have had a Baby Boomer as a boss. My experience at the jobs I've had is that once a baby boomer gets in a position of power or influence they do whatever it takes to stay there. One of my boomer bosses told me that as a kid he had to fight for everything he wanted because of the sheer numbers of other kids his age. Had to fight for space in the classroom, position on ball teams, spots in college, so fighting for a good management job comes naturally.
Interesting perspective, grmi66.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Think just the sheer numbers of Baby Boomers in the workforce made it tough on some of us Gen X'rs. I'm at the front end of Gen X and ever since I started working in the early 80's I have had a Baby Boomer as a boss. My experience at the jobs I've had is that once a baby boomer gets in a position of power or influence they do whatever it takes to stay there. One of my boomer bosses told me that as a kid he had to fight for everything he wanted because of the sheer numbers of other kids his age. Had to fight for space in the classroom, position on ball teams, spots in college, so fighting for a good management job comes naturally. The boomers just plain outnumbered Gen X and to give them credit willing to fight and hold onto good jobs. But looking ahead at someplace like my current job, the last big bubble of baby boomers probably has about 5-7 productive years in the workplace ahead of them. Should be interesting to see what happens.
In those days it wasn't unusual to have a class with 50 or so students. My one professor was a baby boomer and he told us his kindergarten class had 54 students in it.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
What do you mean? How would an entire generation put another entire generation in their place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment