Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 PM

7,955 posts, read 7,909,962 times

Advertisements

You can always leave. No one is really forced to do anything. Unless you have some sort of contractual obligation then you are free to leave. Grants are not free money and they come with stipulations. Some run out, others keep going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 07:07 PM

30,115 posts, read 25,216,272 times
Many of the millennials annoy me, and I am one. Many reek of entitlement, and they expect the largest reward for the least effort. Maybe I have worked with a bad bunch, but I have seen some awful excuses for workers in the younger cohort.

I'll admit though... This generation has an uphill battle with the way the economy and the workforce operates today. Job stability is almost non existent. Nobody wants to train. They all expect highly trained workers to fall from the sky with zero input. We shall see what the long term effects of this environment are, but I afraid we will see a lost generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
And this is why people leave. Money and promotions (which are related to money).

If I can go to another company and get 10%-15% off the bat, why wouldn't I go?
I agree, as I have done the same thing. Problem is, when every millennial thinks this way, and follows through with it, companies have no incentive to train. Why spend the money if you're not going to see a return? Worse yet, why train your competitor's future worker? So what happens is every company avoids hiring young, inexperienced workers because they have been burned too many times. Small employers especially, because they are the least likely to be able to afford such a loss... And small business account for the majority of job creation.

I've been with my current employer for nearly 3 years now. That is a new record... Partly because of the cyclical nature of the work place these days, and partly because I do like to earn as much as possible. At the same time, I also want to avoid being labeled as a "job hopper"... Which I have been accused of being during a few interviews already.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:22 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,858,577 times
Quote:
I agree, as I have done the same thing. Problem is, when every millennial thinks this way, and follows through with it, companies have no incentive to train. Why spend the money if you're not going to see a return? Worse yet, why train your competitor's future worker? So what happens is every company avoids hiring young, inexperienced workers because they have been burned too many times. Small employers especially, because they are the least likely to be able to afford such a loss... And small business account for the majority of job creation.
That is exactly the reason, that the Millennials on these threads are complaining that they are turned down and no one wants to train them, instead the employer demands 5 or 10 years experience, and can find that kind of people. The Millennials that are not interested in really becoming part of the company on the long haul, so there is no advantage to the company to hire them. This type of employee ends up costing the company a lot of money. If an employee is going to cost you money and not give you a return, you don't hire them if you are a smart businessman/woman.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:39 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,983,353 times
I agree that companies that these days don't deserve loyalty. But whether companies these days deserve loyalty is irrelevant in discussing why overall millennial's make bad employees.

In GENERAL (as in the majority but not all) they are entitled, spoiled, know it all's and feel that they are owed the world. Its pathetic when I see one who thinks they know as much as someone with 20+ years of experience in the same field as they are just starting out in.

They mistake their intelligence for wisdom. They mistake the fact that they have a lot of knowledge with knowing how to apply that knowledge. They think they are rational and objective when in reality their "rational objective views" are shaped from their experience in the little world around them and not the world as a whole.

All in all a very pathetic excuse for a generation. And this is coming for a millennial just so you know I'm not some "biased older guy mad at todays kids." I'm truly ashamed to be part of arguably the worst generation the US has ever produced. Bring on the counter arguments, I'm sure it will be mostly from millennial's based on the typical traits I just listed.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:32 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,478,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Many of the millennials annoy me, and I am one. Many reek of entitlement, and they expect the largest reward for the least effort. Maybe I have worked with a bad bunch, but I have seen some awful excuses for workers in the younger cohort.

I'll admit though... This generation has an uphill battle with the way the economy and the workforce operates today. Job stability is almost non existent. Nobody wants to train. They all expect highly trained workers to fall from the sky with zero input. We shall see what the long term effects of this environment are, but I afraid we will see a lost generation.

I've been with my current employer for nearly 3 years now. That is a new record... Partly because of the cyclical nature of the work place these days, and partly because I do like to earn as much as possible. At the same time, I also want to avoid being labeled as a "job hopper"... Which I have been accused of being during a few interviews already.
There is nothing stopping an employer from offering a raise to keep the employee. But they don't.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:05 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,092,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
That is exactly the reason, that the Millennials on these threads are complaining that they are turned down and no one wants to train them, instead the employer demands 5 or 10 years experience, and can find that kind of people. The Millennials that are not interested in really becoming part of the company on the long haul, so there is no advantage to the company to hire them. This type of employee ends up costing the company a lot of money. If an employee is going to cost you money and not give you a return, you don't hire them if you are a smart businessman/woman.
This is it exactly. At my work, we've been discussing the generations bit a lot. From what I've learned, Millennials look at jobs as places they can learn from, then take that information and leave to the next job. When a company puts time and money into you, they hope you'll stay because you like the company and want to be a part of what they're doing. But regardless, they move on to find the next "sucker" who'll train them so they can leave again. Obviously, it's revenue lost. It's no wonder places are looking for people they don't have to train.

So....why, if that's what Millennials do, do they complain about needing training, but no one will give it to them? I mean, why do they expect a company to put money into them, when they'll just walk away as soon as they get the training? I'm not talking 40 years of loyalty, I'm talking working at a job longer than the training.

BTW, Gen Xers already knew there was no loyalty before you guys were born. :P We already saw big companies lay off our parents who were loyal to no end. So, sorry, it's not a new thing for Gen Yers, you just like to think you figured it out.

I believe the workforce is almost equal Gen Xers and Yers right now. If I'm remember my pie chart correctly. And Yers want to have flexibility to work when they want, life outside of work is their priority (which companies dislike, but I'm with Yers on this one), it's no wonder the Boomers and even the generation before that dislike Yers. Work is life to them.

My two cents is that Yers need to realize things don't revolve around "what you want" in the corporate world and the corporate world needs to realize that times have changed. Especially with this crappy economy. There's no loyalty to anyone on either side, in lots of the generations.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:43 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,616,987 times
For what it is worth there are millennial out there who want the job training and will not job hop at the first job that offers them 5$ more than what they are currently making. Sadly it seems most employers assume that all millennial's are the same and will leave as soon as rival Company X offers Y dollars more. Now I did not say "All employers assume..." as I am sure there are employers willing to take the chance and offer training in spite of the risk that the millennial may jump ship at the next dollar sign.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:33 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,774,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
There is nothing stopping an employer from offering a raise to keep the employee. But they don't.
Yep I am sure those employers just do not want to give raises, tight bastards. Or could it be that they are spending their budget on training, allowing inexperienced workers to grow into their positions, or are even struggling to earn enough revenue to justify giving raises? Regardless of what the media and certain segments of the population like to lead people to believe, corporations or any other business do not have unlimited money, they have a budget they must stick to if they want the company to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
For what it is worth there are millennial out there who want the job training and will not job hop at the first job that offers them 5$ more than what they are currently making. Sadly it seems most employers assume that all millennial's are the same and will leave as soon as rival Company X offers Y dollars more. Now I did not say "All employers assume..." as I am sure there are employers willing to take the chance and offer training in spite of the risk that the millennial may jump ship at the next dollar sign.
Of course there are those out there that are willing to stick with a company, the problem is that those are becoming the outlier more often than not anymore. Things in business run in cycles, and i have posted about this whole line of thinking before, but you see the problem did not start with generation Y, in fact after the 70s and 80s where many of generation X seen their parents and grandparents losing their jobs, we lost that loyalty. In the 90s it was expected that you job hope otherwise some said your skills became stagnant, companies caught on and started changing their policies and practices, now this generation has to pay the consequences but instead of changing with the times, many in generation Y would rather complain about companies not allowing them to do what they want.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:36 AM

15,907 posts, read 21,578,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Right. I'm a Millennial that would love to stay in a job. I've been employed by the same employer, in various roles, my entire adult life and am getting a master's degree paid for by my employer in addition to other professional courses that I have taken. That said, when we get excited that our annual raise pool is a WHOLE 2% and its like pulling teeth to get any other kind of professional opportunities (pathway for promotion, conferences, etc). I know the only way I will get promoted is if someone above me leaves - and since my boss has been here for 20 years, I know she won't be going. We also see staff members leave and not be replaced, adding onto our workloads without compensation.

I know that if I left, I could easily get 10-15K more a year elsewhere. I haven't yet because every time I've gotten close, I've found an internal opportunity to move up. But now there is literally nowhere else for me to go but out... and it's a shame that a lack of quality compensation is forcing my hand when I could have been a dedicated lifer.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:52 AM

333 posts, read 388,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

The jump ship for better money started with the boomers and Gen X in the 80s. My dad has jump ship for better money, and he is a boomer. His friends have done it, also boomers. Gen X people have done it. This isn't a new phenomenon, but the difference between then and now is one time employers were grateful or happy to find someone good, now they expect you, the employer, should be grateful and blindly support them while they show no effort on their end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment