Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:42 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,661,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Is there any chance that any of the 3 times this bank employee checked his phone may have actually been work related?

If one of you happened to watch me at work, you'd probably assume I was constantly checking Facebook, playing Angry Birds, or texting with my best friend, based on how often I grab and check my phone.

In actuality? Well, about half an hour ago my manager was texting me for some additional information while he was in a meeting, and I was texting back the requested statistics. At 8:59 am, I got a text message telling me that the location of my 9 am meeting had been changed due to an equipment issue in the original conference room.
Than you say "excuse me, I need to respond to this as it is a bank issue" or something along those lines.

Again it is about communication. Otherwise like the OP, you start to wonder I am keeping you from something, your job interfering with your social life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 12:04 PM

211 posts, read 266,920 times
Bottom line as a customer is did the employee complete the task correctly and timely? In this case, yes, should be end of story.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:54 PM

532 posts, read 959,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I can't agree on this one...

You have a single data-point of a person's performance. Yes, he did a lousy job, but you don't know all the circumstances. No harm was done - it's not like he tried to rob you, or fouled up your mortgage papers, or lost thousands of dollars - and the only problem was that you had a poor experience at the bank.

Trying to get a person in trouble over something like this is not really appropriate or fair. I'm sure that we have all had days like the customer rep's - we could be sick, we could be up all night for some reason, etc. If that day was taken alone and out of context as an example of our normal performance, we'd all look like terrible workers who need to be fired. But is that fair?

The only reasonable thing to do is see what the long-term performance is like. Is this bank normally a good place to go? During future interactions with the guy in question, is he helpful? Does he do his job? If there's a long-term negative trend here, then go right ahead and complain. But it is grossly unfair to try to get somebody canned because of one bad experience. Based on that, everyone would quickly be fired.
Yes, he could have been sick, up all night or any number of items --

Here is my last 12 hours or so....

Last night was awakened out of a dead sleep by my phone. Couldn't answer it in time, but saw it was from my dad, it was only 10:30, but that is late for my father to call. I immediately called him back, he handed the phone to my mother who told me there was a fire in their apartment building! The fire alarm woke them up, my dad went to look in the hallway and there much so much smoke he could barely see the other end.

Came back inside, a few minutes later there is a fireman at their door, asking if they are able to walk down 4 flights of stairs. My dad is 85 and my mom 77 and both use a cane. My mom said only if we have to, he told them to sit tight and he'd be back, came back and told them they would have to evacuate.

(BTW: My mother absolutely raved about the fireman, kind, patient, couldn't have been nicer).

When they left neither of them took their cell phones. I live close by, so at 11:15 got dressed and went over there, but the street was closed in all directions, I did count about 8 trucks and a few police cars.

Had no choice, went back home. Continued calling.

At midnight still having heard nothing, went back out and remembered another way too get their.

Found both of them safe and sound (just a little shaken), but it would be a few hours before they would let the residents get back in their building.

I brought them to my place and gave them my bed and I took the couch.

Between the stress of the night and sleeping on the couch I slept maybe 2 hours (here and there), had to be up at 6 for work.

And yet, exhausted and still feeling a little stressed, I treated my coworkers (who are my customers in a sense) with a smile, even when some of them went on and on about nothing, I smiled and nodded, because that is what is expected of me. I am a supervisor and my boss is big on management setting examples.

Did I want to go into my office, shut the door and do my work? Yes, but I have to be available for help and questions.

You do what you have to do!

Old 02-28-2014, 12:56 PM

532 posts, read 959,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Is there any chance that any of the 3 times this bank employee checked his phone may have actually been work related?

If one of you happened to watch me at work, you'd probably assume I was constantly checking Facebook, playing Angry Birds, or texting with my best friend, based on how often I grab and check my phone.

In actuality? Well, about half an hour ago my manager was texting me for some additional information while he was in a meeting, and I was texting back the requested statistics. At 8:59 am, I got a text message telling me that the location of my 9 am meeting had been changed due to an equipment issue in the original conference room.
Maybe but I never even heard his phone ring or vibrate.

I also use my phone for work all the time, but if in a meeting with someone try to put it aside.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:15 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,613 times
Bank tellers don't even make a living wage. A lot of them make minimum wage or slightly higher... Sorry but you can't expect good service for someone being kept in poverty.

It's disturbing that you even care, OP. You got your safe deposit box. You're angry because of some perceived disrespect.

Quote:
Debating on sending the bank an e-mail, then thought, is it worth it, but it's those thoughts that let this guy keep his job.
Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 02-28-2014 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: removed unnecessary remark

Old 02-28-2014, 02:30 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,571,486 times
This reads like a grumpy old white guy, retired, who has nothing better to do than critique the job others are doing. I see them all day long. And I generally try to always show I'm engaged. But when I detect the boomer gen attitude of superiority, I will then help them find the most expensive "solution" that I have for them.

Realize that everyone is merely doing a job. Did you get the task solved that you came for, in a reasonable amount of time? Sounds like it. Move on.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:35 PM

303 posts, read 595,964 times
Well, this escalated quickly.

This thread has a lot in common with another Work and Employment thread. OP seems MOSTLY perturbed that this guy briefly checked his phone while mid-transaction with him, right?

Maybe it's because of my age (I'm approaching 30), but I just don't see the problem with a brief glance to a cell phone. It's no different (to me) than someone checking their watch. Would you have had an issue if they glanced at their watch a few times during the same transaction instead?

In my opinion it just isn't worth going to the guy's boss over. It was a single instance, completely isolated for all you know. He said he was tired, you said it was irrelevant but would have appreciated a better answer? Which is it?

As for the mumbling........ could have been for security purposes. Banks are big on confidentiality. Was he asking you for personal information? Repeating that personal information back to you?

My life is far less stressful when I give people the benefit of the doubt.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:43 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,423,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
What were you suggesting? Why is it a bad idea in your opinion to tell the manager on someone who has access to the vault? Now, I'm curious.
Arseholl!

Don't you even understand how a safe deposit box works? No one employee has "access" to the bank vault. You need two keys, one the box owner, the other belongs to the bank, you must go through an identification procedure to even get into the inner scantum.

If you lose your key, they bank can't open it for you with their key. It must be drilled open. I know, this happened with my mother's SD box, she lost the key and it had to be drilled open, cost to her $50. Also, it had to be drilled open in the presence of two witnesses, one from the bank and the box owner or her representative. A disgruntled employee can't simply go waltzing through SD boxes as he pleases

Old 02-28-2014, 05:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,958,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
This reads like a grumpy old white guy, retired, who has nothing better to do than critique the job others are doing.But when I detect the boomer gen attitude of superiority, I will then help them find the most expensive "solution" that I have for them.
Well this certainly sounds mature & professional.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:57 PM

89 posts, read 207,342 times
You never know what's going in this guy's life. I would not report it. It reminds me of the scene on seinfeld with George Costanza - these pretzels are making me thirsty. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment