Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:02 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,813,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I'm not getting the hate. I like the Best Buy near me I just bought a new headset there and a new keyboard. The prices on these items were not any better online. I bought my laptop there, cell phones, a number of other things. They price match places like NewEgg by the way just not on OEM stuff of course. If you have to shop online just to save 3 bucks in tax you should be shopping for a new job not a new cell phone. I fail to see why anyone would want to see a store like Best Buy go out of business. All that's going to do is cause less competition and that is always bad. Duh people.

I agree with you. I would hope that Best Buy wouldn't go out because that leaves few brick and mortar stores. With online stores, you have to wait for it to ship and sometimes there is problems with shipping.

Yes they do suck at customer service though. I agree with many others there. I can't believe the people that work at Geek Squad especially. How did they get a job? When my computer had problems a long while back the best they could do is system recovery and I know how to do that. An example of sales people is one guy told me that they would put on a cover for my Ipod for free but when I decided to have it done, they told me it costs (only 5 dollars but still). The craziest part is I don't think I even asked about a cover to begin with. They do often just stand around too if they're even close by. However, this doesn't matter to me because if I was a novice in electronics, I probably wouldn't be shopping at the store so most of the time I don't need help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 09:24 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,653,067 times
Staples, Office Max and Office Depot well compete on selection and prices against Best Buy out in my area and have for a long time. That is where I made my last five electronic purchases.

BB is unfortunately headed the way of Borders bookstore very very soon.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
At the wages that Best Buy pays, you cannot expect them to hire employees that are very knowledgeable about the products. Being able to answer the questions that so many on this tread complain not being able to get guidance and advice would take someone with a lot more abilities and knowledge than they can hire with their wage structure.

Best Buy Hourly Pay | Glassdoor

When I was working in retail in the 50s and 60s, we called those type of employees Ribbon Clerks. In other words, they could point out where the ribbons were, and take your money. I worked in ( high end) department stores where the clerks were paid about minimum wages plus a little extra if they worked there for years. I fortunately sold furniture. Furniture, large appliances, and electronics were commission, and the commission salesmen/women earned a lot more. I easily pulled down in today's dollars about $125,000 per year as did the other commission people. Next to us were departments where the employees were paid minimum wage.

You cannot expect Best Buy to have highly trained people expert on all the different products they are assigned to sell, at $10 an hour. If you are really knowledgeable, you can make a lot more money working other jobs than Best Buy.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:29 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
At the wages that Best Buy pays, you cannot expect them to hire employees that are very knowledgeable about the products. Being able to answer the questions that so many on this tread complain not being able to get guidance and advice would take someone with a lot more abilities and knowledge than they can hire with their wage structure.

Best Buy Hourly Pay | Glassdoor

When I was working in retail in the 50s and 60s, we called those type of employees Ribbon Clerks. In other words, they could point out where the ribbons were, and take your money. I worked in ( high end) department stores where the clerks were paid about minimum wages plus a little extra if they worked there for years. I fortunately sold furniture. Furniture, large appliances, and electronics were commission, and the commission salesmen/women earned a lot more. I easily pulled down in today's dollars about $125,000 per year as did the other commission people. Next to us were departments where the employees were paid minimum wage.

You cannot expect Best Buy to have highly trained people expert on all the different products they are assigned to sell, at $10 an hour. If you are really knowledgeable, you can make a lot more money working other jobs than Best Buy.

It's not much different than Walmart or any other big box store. Retail clerk jobs are not high paying careers, the clerks are college/high school students, retirees, second job, etc. Usually the managers are college graduates just there to gain experience to put on a resume while moving on to bigger things.

I worked at a retail store for a number of years and I was the only employee who lasted that long. It's a constantly revolving door both with managers and hourly people.

When I walk into a low end big box store I come knowing I'm not going to get top of the line service or knowledgeable employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment