Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 07:42 AM

13 posts, read 24,671 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My wife and I are fairly new out of school (I've just hit 4 years in the workforce and shes at about 1) and we've accepted jobs in an extremely low cost-of-living area.

We've got a lot of student loan payments (1000+/mo), but only one car payment (300/mo). Mortgage is under 1000/mo with everything included (taxes, insurance, interest, principle).

Combined salary puts us at about $120K/yr, though could be closer to $130K with bonuses. According to PayScale's cost-of-living calculator, 120K here is the equivalent of $265K in NYC.

That being said, even with our bills, will we be able to afford a fairly comfortable lifestyle? No kids. We'd like to save a little each month and do like to travel a couple times a year. Is this reasonable on our salaries for the area?

Thank you for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 AM

249 posts, read 425,141 times
Combined salary puts us at about $120K/yr, though could be closer to $130K with bonuses. According to PayScale's cost-of-living calculator, 120K here is the equivalent of $265K in NYC.

You are doing very, very well by any standards anyone could name, particularly for a couple still in their mid-20s!

I myself am looking to move back to NYC, and our combined income isn't yet what yours is now, ten years younger than us, in your low-COL location!

You haven't actually named your location, so travel might be an enormous logistical hassle, but I'm sure you'll do just fine. You're certainly not hurting money-wise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment