Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM

973 posts, read 1,456,300 times

Advertisements

When I was working for my old employer, I signed a contract that said I could be dismissed without cause with just two work days notice. I was, but I know the reason was MOSTLY (Like 90%) I didn't get along with a coworker and partly (10%) I didn't do one part of my job (that wasn't in the job description and it's a long story) they way they wanted. When I'm filling out online applications it asks why was I fired. How should I word that the contracted stated I could be fired without cause? Also, if I were to get an interview how should I state that? Should I bring a copy of my old contract with it highlighted? My friend who is not a teacher said I should do that, but ti doesn't seem "right" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 AM

303 posts, read 596,592 times
How long were you at your old employer? If the amount of time is marginal, it might be better to leave it off entirely.

If it's a longer span, then just explain that it didn't work out. Don't disparage your previous company, be as neutral as possible about it. Then shift focus back to the things that make you a great fit for THEIR company. Try not to let the interviewer dwell on it.

Bouncing back from being fired can be a trial. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2014, 11:36 AM

It's for me, because I kind of have to put it. It counts towards experience. It was my "first" teaching job, everything else was subbing. Even thought for a year I basically had my own class before this, I was paid and put in the system as a sub.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 AM

12,114 posts, read 23,378,070 times
Did they tell you why you were fired? Depending on the circumstance, you can write, "at will employee--no reason given."

Old 02-26-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Did they tell you why you were fired? Depending on the circumstance, you can write, "at will employee--no reason given."
No, they didn't give me a verbal reason.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:37 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,016,924 times
Perhaps don't be stupid and say you were fired. Use laid off instead, and if asked say that the funding for your job dried up.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,561,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Perhaps don't be stupid and say you were fired. Use laid off instead, and if asked say that the funding for your job dried up.
Lie? Wouldn't the background search show the truth?

OP, almost everyone can be fired without cause. That's not the reason you were let go.

I would stick to something basic like "it wasn't a good fit."

Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,357,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

OP, almost everyone can be fired without cause. That's not the reason you were let go.

I would stick to something basic like "it wasn't a good fit."
is it a lie?

if someone is let go and told that it is due to not meeting the duties of the job, poor performance etc.... they were fired.

if someone is told that we're letting you go, and they don't give a reason, sounds like a lay off to me. You can guess at a lot of things either way, but unless you were written up or given verbal feedback to this, I don't see how you can say you were "fired"

Teaching is funny. in my area if you're not public school they just don't renew your contract...

Old 02-26-2014, 02:21 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,397,158 times
If you were an "employee at will," they don't need a reason. And, if you can't find the exact cause, your future employer isn't likely to discover the truth either. I'd just say my position was eliminated. That's very common.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,287,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It depends on the state. In some states former employers can only confirm that you were indeed employed by them and from what date to what date. Nothing else. In other states a former employer can say anything they want about you including why you were fired, if they think you are a crummy employee or not, and so on.

Not all employers abide by this law, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment