Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 PM

84 posts, read 133,879 times

Advertisements

$ matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 PM

622 posts, read 855,440 times
Like most of the posters on this thread, call me what you will, just pay me!!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:12 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,780,493 times
Job titles are largely meaningless unless you are somewhat near the top (or at the top) of the food chain at your work. Pay rates matter more to me.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:16 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,390,621 times
Is the title negotiable? I would at least ask why they use such a title instead of engineering title? If they like you and the only problem is title they might change it.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:27 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,014,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Is the title negotiable? I would at least ask why they use such a title instead of engineering title? If they like you and the only problem is title they might change it.
I've already accepted another job, I wad just curios what everyone else thought.

Thanks for your responses everyone.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 AM

14 posts, read 82,302 times
I have to say I don't get the 'title is not important' sentiment. Of course what you make is important. But your monthly salary is only part of the picture isn't it? Your title is tied to other things as well. Bonus? Tied to title in most companies. Options or stock? The same. Your salary, will in fact likely be compared to what others with your title and experience make in your area and profession. This can determine whether you get 'adjusted' or not.

Not to mention the resume. When you send that out to a prospective employer, do you include how much you were paid with each position? Nope. What they will see is that title.

And why wouldn't a company give you the title you want? If they are paying you for it, why wouldn't they give you the corresponding title? If they aren't willing to do that, you should wonder why.

Make sure you get the title you think you deserve.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:33 AM

249 posts, read 425,561 times
Coming from an alternative perspective: I don't really understand the concept of "job titles".

Here in Japan, where I work, there are occupations (insurance salesman, firefighter, cashier, donut maker) and ranks (section chief, department manager, director) but no American-style "job titles". You don't generally obtain a rank until you're in your mid-40s. Most workers (white- and blue-collar) don't even do the same thing at their jobs, because they're rotated through various positions so that the company can see what they're good at. When asked about their jobs, people typically answer with the company they work for rather than what they're doing at that company.

Does everyone in America have a job title? I've heard plenty of jokey titles for entry-level positions, but is "I don't have a title" an acceptable answer when asked about it? I'd love to know because I won't have a formal (rank-based) title for another decade or so, if ever, and I'd hate for it to be awkward going back to the US and having people assume that I fit into the job-title world.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,514,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
Coming from an alternative perspective: I don't really understand the concept of "job titles".

Here in Japan, where I work, there are occupations (insurance salesman, firefighter, cashier, donut maker) and ranks (section chief, department manager, director) but no American-style "job titles". You don't generally obtain a rank until you're in your mid-40s. Most workers (white- and blue-collar) don't even do the same thing at their jobs, because they're rotated through various positions so that the company can see what they're good at. When asked about their jobs, people typically answer with the company they work for rather than what they're doing at that company.

Does everyone in America have a job title? I've heard plenty of jokey titles for entry-level positions, but is "I don't have a title" an acceptable answer when asked about it? I'd love to know because I won't have a formal (rank-based) title for another decade or so, if ever, and I'd hate for it to be awkward going back to the US and having people assume that I fit into the job-title world.
In sales, we love to inflate our titles, some even mix in religion. Sales Evangelist I am not joking. In fact, I have seen even CSE Chief Sales Evangelist really? Those are on the top of the ridiculous side. Yes everyone has a title in America.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:56 PM

256 posts, read 463,799 times
I have a similar problem! I am currently a project manager and will receive 2 offers next week. I plan to reject one of them because the title is application analyst! It pays 30k more than my current salary but I really think that title is very weak and I will take a step down in my career if I accept the job. Money wise it is a great offer and it will take me at least another 3 years to reach that salary in project management. Second option is senior consulting and the salary is 20k more than my current salary. I kinda like the title and responsibilities in the role however my colleagues are telling me that project management job title will benefit me in the long term.

I believe that job titles are important but I also know that salary is extremely important. When I interview people, I check their current salary because it gives me an idea about their real value! A person with an amazing title but low pay means that he really does not utilize that role. Should I accept application analyst role and go back to project management with a higher salary? Should I accept the senior consulting role or just stay in my current position because project management will benefit me more in the long term?

Old 01-02-2015, 11:35 PM

286 posts, read 852,578 times
Seriously? You brought a forum back from the dead to talk about your job situation. I couldn't care less about title as long as they bring the money flowing. Why is the +30k more job a step down because of the title? IF you have the same responsibilities and I don't know how it would affect negatively.

ON your resume, you will have project management as a major part of your objective/summary so having a job with a different title but still same responsibilities and skill sets will not affect anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment