Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 05:53 PM

12 posts, read 25,275 times

Advertisements

How does a career in truck driving look in today's USA economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 06:13 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,850,385 times
Look at it this way. As long as goods need to be moved around the country, there will be a strong demand for trucking. Sure, there's talk about self-driving cars/trucks that will make truckers obsolete, but that kind of talk has been going on for decades. My high school history teacher said that when he was a kid, they thought we would be flying around with jetpacks and self-flying personal aircraft by now. That obviously hasn't happened.

Also, trucking isn't something that can be outsourced to China.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 PM

12 posts, read 25,275 times
Should I get my CDLs right after I graduate high school this year?

Old 02-09-2014, 06:45 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,307,619 times
You cannot get a CDL to go over the road until you are 21 years old.
Driving a truck is not a bed of roses, it involves a lot more than sitting behind the wheel of that truck and moving it down the highway.
I suggest you find something else to do, being a driver is a tough life and you really have no time for friends or family because you are gone a lot. You miss birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, etc.

Find something else.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:52 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,850,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Driving a truck is not a bed of roses, it involves a lot more than sitting behind the wheel of that truck and moving it down the highway.
I suggest you find something else to do, being a driver is a tough life and you really have no time for friends or family because you are gone a lot. You miss birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, etc.

Find something else.
There's a saying that trucking is a lifestyle and not just a job. You really need a certain personality for it.

If you are single, aren't close to your family or don't have a family, and get a thrill out of being on the road all the time, you might love it. If you ever decide to settle down, you can get a local driving job where you are home at night and on the weekends.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:56 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,307,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
There's a saying that trucking is a lifestyle and not just a job. You really need a certain personality for it.

If you are single, aren't close to your family or don't have family, and get a thrill out of being on the road all the time, you might love it. If you ever decide to settle down, you can get a local driving job where you are home at night and on the weekends.

I know the saying and the lifestyle quite well. I own 3 trucks and one of my drivers is my husband.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:10 PM

390 posts, read 825,115 times
Truck driving jobs will be around for a very long time to come, as long as there is an economy to ship goods around. There is talk of trucks that can drive themselves, but that will never happen any time within the next 30 years at least. The technology is not even close, and even if it was, government agencies would require decades of testing before it became widespread.

There are few careers in the USA that you know will always be around, as long as there is an economy: police officers and other emergency workers, doctors, nurses, cooks, skilled trade workers, and of course truck drivers. Most other jobs can be outsourced or replaced by technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Find something else.
There are some truck drivers that actually have somewhat regular hours. I know a guy who only drives in a 100 mile radius, so he's home for dinner every night. But yes, for most it's a pretty rough life. Maybe not the best career choice if you want to be a family man someday. It might seem like it would be a cool job to have when you're younger and single, but if you decide to change careers when you're older, you might find yourself wishing you hadn't invested so many years truck driving. Changing careers is tough - you have to start completely over at the bottom rung of entry level positions, and you're often older than the rest of those applying for those entry level positions.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 PM

8,090 posts, read 12,816,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
Truck driving jobs will be around for a very long time to come, as long as there is an economy to ship goods around. There is talk of trucks that can drive themselves, but that will never happen any time within the next 30 years at least. The technology is not even close, and even if it was, government agencies would require decades of testing before it became widespread.

There are few careers in the USA that you know will always be around, as long as there is an economy: police officers and other emergency workers, doctors, nurses, cooks, skilled trade workers, and of course truck drivers. Most other jobs can be outsourced or replaced by technology.

There are some truck drivers that actually have somewhat regular hours. I know a guy who only drives in a 100 mile radius, so he's home for dinner every night. But yes, for most it's a pretty rough life. Maybe not the best career choice if you want to be a family man someday.
While it is not going to happen in the near term there is a very good chance that self driving vehicles will become common on our roadways. Google cars are already driving themselves with good reliability. The Army is already developing self driving supply trucks. It is only a matter of time before the mundane job of driving from point a to point b will be automated.

Don't count on a job for life.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:33 PM

390 posts, read 825,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
While it is not going to happen in the near term there is a very good chance that self driving vehicles will become common on our roadways. Google cars are already driving themselves with good reliability. The Army is already developing self driving supply trucks. It is only a matter of time before the mundane job of driving from point a to point b will be automated.

Don't count on a job for life.
I agree it's only a matter of time, but in the next 30 or 40 years? Pretty unlikely, especially considering how slow government bureaucracy is to approve things like that. The autonomous trucks would have to be able to react to a million different situations that human truck drivers deal with, and with a near perfect safety record. And by that time, plenty of other jobs might be replaced by technology as well. I don't know if I'd really plan a career choice based on what could happen 40 years in the future. He could be retired by then.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:04 PM

8,090 posts, read 12,816,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
I agree it's only a matter of time, but in the next 30 or 40 years? Pretty unlikely, especially considering how slow government bureaucracy is to approve things like that. The autonomous trucks would have to be able to react to a million different situations that human truck drivers deal with, and with a near perfect safety record. And by that time, plenty of other jobs might be replaced by technology as well. I don't know if I'd really plan a career choice based on what could happen 40 years in the future. He could be retired by then.
Thirty to forty years? I give it ten years tops. Think of what life was like back in 1974 or 1984 compared to today. In 84 the 1200 buad modem was top of the line, portable telephones were the size of a shoe box and most desktop PC's didn't even have a hard drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment