Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 05:27 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,910,263 times

Advertisements

"Fast-paced" means "We're always understaffed and our work environment is like taking a smidget of peanut butter and trying to spread it over this piece of white bread, while the bread is crumbling and breaking in the process"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 11:36 AM

2,623 posts, read 3,157,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have worked at a few places which were BORING and slow paced. I have worked at places in which the employees were LAZY and unmotivated. A job in which the pace is energetic would be super for me. The day would speed by.
You just need to ask them what they mean by it, and see if you fit.
Yes, that is the other extreme. A busy place is not bad and "fast paced" in that way is a good thing. As often used though, "fast paced" means mass confusion.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:37 PM

417 posts, read 868,564 times
Don't everybody be so negative could also mean the company is making money....

Old 02-16-2014, 03:37 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,292,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
I'm right there with you.

After working 60+ hours a week for years on end, I had to promise my wife for the sake of our marriage, our future family, and my mental health, that I'd never consistently work more than 40 hours a week again if I could help it.

Prior to landing my current job, I interviewed at a couple places that said they wanted someone who "thrives in a fast paced environment". I flat out told one company during the interview that I don't work more than 40 hours a week unless there's an emergency or upcoming deadline, and the interviewer looked shock and insinuated I was lazy. The other interviewer laughed at me and said it's impossible for a company to be profitable while having employees that only work 40 hours a week. I walked out of both interviews, and now have a job where I probably work 35 hours a week, yet make more than I would have had either of those companies that were "fast-paced".
For some reason a lot of employers have this idea that laid-back = lazy and unproductive. I'm with you on not wanting to work under sweatshop style conditions.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:52 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,501,951 times
This is common for any sales description, which translates to 50 plus hours a week.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
For some reason a lot of employers have this idea that laid-back = lazy and unproductive. I'm with you on not wanting to work under sweatshop style conditions.
Yet, go to work somwhere by the hour and chances are the boss wants to make sure no one exceeds 40 hours. I've been on both sides of that.

The office where I worked was also big on pushing comp time instead of overtime. Trouble was, the comp time never came. If things ever slowed down, people got downsized. That co. was later acquired by one of its worst enemies in the business.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
"Fast-paced" means "We're always understaffed and our work environment is like taking a smidget of peanut butter and trying to spread it over this piece of white bread, while the bread is crumbling and breaking in the process"
You said it well. Excellent definition. You did forget to mention that the knife used for spreading is a cheap plastic one, already cracked.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 AM

50,949 posts, read 36,646,853 times
There's no reason to assume the company is poorly run IMO. Some jobs just are naturally fast-paced, like working the stock market floor, for instance. It does mean the job will have you very busy and most probably a stressful environment, but some people prefer and do better in high-pressure, fast-paced jobs.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There's no reason to assume the company is poorly run IMO. Some jobs just are naturally fast-paced, like working the stock market floor, for instance. It does mean the job will have you very busy and most probably a stressful environment, but some people prefer and do better in high-pressure, fast-paced jobs.
Yes, some types of businesses are hectic by their very nature. No argument there. But some are "fast paced" because they are disorganized; with out of touch management, slow functioning systems, etc. I wish I could take you on a tour of 1 of the places I used to work and you would easily see the difference. Into the late 80's we were using old worn out typewriters from the 60's and 70's. Our computer systems were always at least a decade behind leaders in our industry, and even then were badly underpowered. We finally got PC's at our desks about '93 or so. Microfilm and microfiche readers/printers were in terrible condition and always breaking down. Some made illegible prints on a good day. Complaints to management were generally trivialized or ignored.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,910,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
You said it well. Excellent definition. You did forget to mention that the knife used for spreading is a cheap plastic one, already cracked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment