Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:33 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,091,956 times

Advertisements

Not in a job. I did kind of in an interview once.

I was working with a staffing company, and the lady "interviewing" me kept mentioning how she gets paid $60 an hour, and possibly more, and I was so fortunate to be getting "help" from her. Most of which consisted of saying I'm only being considered because I wasn't demanding a high salary, telling me to get certain certification that wasn't really related to my career, and being condescending about my lack of ability to find a job. This was all under the guise that I'm a smart guy and she's only trying to help.

After a while, I told her, as politely as I could, that this interview is bi-directional (I'm interviewing them as well,) and that I'm probably just going to go home and tell them thanks but no thanks. I don't think she knew how to react - there were accusations of me being thinned skinned, and her using the "f" word, but also acknowledgement on some level that I'm a "fighter." I think you need to respectful with potential candidates or else they're not going to want to work there.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:30 PM

12,870 posts, read 15,202,230 times
I've never done it & I never will. However, I'm working THE WORSE job I've ever had in my life right now & I still won't do it. It's just not my style. I believe in always ending things on a professional note & not burning any bridges. Do I wish I coud do it on my lousy job now? I sure do! But, I won't & I don't even plan on putting them on my resume nor definitely not asking them for a letter of recommendation.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 PM

723 posts, read 874,386 times
When I was 16 I worked at mcdonalds, and I got sick of it and just didn't feel like showing up one day, so I didn't. Then I just ignored my phone until the manager gave up. lol. That was the end of my career in the fast food industry.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:16 AM

n/a posts
Sure...parking lot attendant. I needed to study as I was in school so I asked the guy to not schedule me for two graveyard shifts in a row at the end of the week. He still did, I never showed up for those shifts and never went back.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:19 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,066,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Yes, I have.

12 years ago I decided to pick up a second job. I found this security company that was hiring. I inquired as to what position was open and the recruiter said they needed to fill a vacancy in a hospital, as a security guard. So I took the job.

The first day, during training, my would-be boss walked me around the hospital explaining my new duties. Amongst my duties was patrolling the morgue area. In the morgue, my would-be boss explains, that if there is dried body fluids left on some of the examining tables, we are to "help out" and clean up. So he proceeded to put on gloves and then grab a bottle of cleaner and spray the table, then wipes it down and tells me that while this isn't in any way security related, it is expected of us to do a little "extra" for the client to ensure we (company I was working for) continue holding onto the contract.

Needless to say, I finished my first day of work and never went back for my second. I wasn't proud of walking out, but heck, I didn't really need the job that bad anyways.
That was probably against health code!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:42 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,844,358 times
Best feeling! I cannot remember much of the details - I think I worked there for a day or two. It was an insurance agency - just me and the agent - and he was a jerk. I was cold calling and left for lunch - and kept going - never even bothered to go back for my pay. I could not stand one more minute of that place.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:19 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,887,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Yes, I have.

12 years ago I decided to pick up a second job. I found this security company that was hiring. I inquired as to what position was open and the recruiter said they needed to fill a vacancy in a hospital, as a security guard. So I took the job.

The first day, during training, my would-be boss walked me around the hospital explaining my new duties. Amongst my duties was patrolling the morgue area. In the morgue, my would-be boss explains, that if there is dried body fluids left on some of the examining tables, we are to "help out" and clean up. So he proceeded to put on gloves and then grab a bottle of cleaner and spray the table, then wipes it down and tells me that while this isn't in any way security related, it is expected of us to do a little "extra" for the client to ensure we (company I was working for) continue holding onto the contract.

Needless to say, I finished my first day of work and never went back for my second. I wasn't proud of walking out, but heck, I didn't really need the job that bad anyways.
Oh wow! You'd think they want people who are trained in that work to be doing that kind of stuff, health codes and all. I have a friend who is a security guard and he brags about watching Netflix all day.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,230,657 times
Many years ago before our modern computer programs. I worked for an auto parts distributor doing inventory control. It was impossible to keep up manually and I finally got up headed toward the bathroom and never came back.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 AM

3,383 posts, read 6,654,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Ever just decide one day that the job you were doing, your boss or employer was just so terrible that you could not spend another minute there and just left without telling anyone?

If so, tell us about it!
Yeah, twice.

Once I worked at a metal smelting plant, and was almost killed due to some idiot they had recently hired and didn't know how to work the machines. I walked off right then and there, and swore $6.75/hr was NOT worth my life, lol.

The 2nd was at a bar I was bartending, and the owner would not stop sexually harassing me, so I grabbed my tips to that point; cashed out the till properly, and walked off. Never went back. About 4 months later he had to close due to no employees.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:56 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,456,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Ever just decide one day that the job you were doing, your boss or employer was just so terrible that you could not spend another minute there and just left without telling anyone?

If so, tell us about it!
I got hired for a door to door B2B sales job. I was there for less than a week and a half.
Then I "walked out". Only time I ever did that. Actually didn't walk out, more like, didn't come in one day.
It was a 30-40 mile round trip to go to work.
After "training" or shadowing, I had to go out on my own but wouldn't get reimbursed for gas. They were to pay me for training if I finished the week but I just didn't care. I didn't want to waste more gas every day and at that point I was broke. So I never came back and found a more stable job.

I probably would have done good though, my product was selling electricity through a contract with an energy company and my first day on my own I had a lead on a dealer group which would've been a big contract..had I stayed.

Kinda sad how those people act. You have to dress in suits, in fact one of the managers tightened my tie for me because it was slightly loose and said something to the effect of "tidy up" or "look sharp". We look like sheisters, buddy. Maybe if I could wear a polo with the product's logo on it, I wouldn't look so shady to the people I was talking to.
The guy who trained me said he made somewhere around 40k, which I assumed didn't include gas reimbursements for gas unless he "won" a gas card. He also said you can take time off when you want, but he didn't because he said you have to treat it like your own business. You have to build it up and work every week. Taking time off hurts you in the eyes of the managers. And that he goes on weekend vacations only from Friday night to Sunday. He'd been there for 2 years. Another girl who I went with didn't even know how to explain what we were selling. I had to explain it and we got the sale. What a dolt.

Sales is a huge ego booster. I could have probably done well there, but at what cost...out of pocket gas. No opportunity for time off without your promotions taking a hit? No, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment