Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,900 times

Advertisements

The best way to deal with a micromanager is to find another job.

Having said that, I had the opposite problem pretty much all my life. No real supervision whatsoever. Whatever I did was A-OK with everyone. Actually, those kind of offices usually work pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 PM

634 posts, read 897,675 times
Sounds a lot like my manager a few years ago. We had to print off email drafts for her review. She'd circle in red anything that needed rewording and hand them back to us. She also held communications "classes" in her office.

Now I've learned to spot the likes of her from a mile away, either in the interview process or within the first few days on the job. I either don't accept an offer or leave claiming "not the right fit".

Old 01-23-2014, 11:24 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
Sounds a lot like my manager a few years ago. We had to print off email drafts for her review. She'd circle in red anything that needed rewording and hand them back to us. She also held communications "classes" in her office.

Now I've learned to spot the likes of her from a mile away, either in the interview process or within the first few days on the job. I either don't accept an offer or leave claiming "not the right fit".
Oooh how do you know if someone is a micromanager from an interview?

Old 01-23-2014, 03:47 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,694,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
One way is to ask them what they consider to be an ideal candidate, and how the ideal candidate works on a typical day. I always look for traces of nit-pickiness. If they say the ideal candidate has to go through a major rigmarole to complete their basic tasks, it's a red flag. Also, ask why the position is vacant.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
If they describe themselves as very involved and express a desire to be kept informed. These are not foolproof terms, but they are clues.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
What am I missing here? southkakkatlantan was the OP but, then, Post #3, which was obviously written by the OP, was from InNeedOfAdvice.

Is the same person using two IDs?

Post #1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
How the hell do you handle a micromanager????
I'm 2 months into a new job (been with the employer 2 years, but transferred to a new department)...and the boss I have now is a freakin NIGHTMARE when it comes to micromanaging. I've never ever ever EVAH seen anything like this before....
Post #3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAdvice View Post
Not likely...it came out the first week I was working here that he is a micromanager. This came from the young lady whose job I took...and she worked for him for three years (Yes, she waited til I got hired to divulge this information)
Yeah, I didn't do a good enough job of finding out any potential negatives with this new boss...I was too damn ready to get the hell out of dodge from the last position My mistake

Old 01-24-2014, 11:11 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,742 times
Please understand a few things before you label someone as a micro-manager:
1. Many times, a manager wants you to do things a very certain way because he knows that the requestor of the information is a pain in a butt and prefers things only a certain way.
2. Before you start working on an assignment, stop by and ask your manager whether there is a certain way that he prefers you to go about it, and how detailed he wants it to be. I can't begin to tell you how many times an employee reporting to me would go into depths to prepare a report, spending hours, when in reality, all I needed is a few lines, therefore, I always make it a point now to ask "How do you think you want to approach the project?"
3. Update him on the status, it might sound silly, but as someone said here, bury him with information, on a daily basis, send him in the morning what's on your plate and at the end of the day what you have completed. This will keep you in check and also, let him know everything that you do, guess what, when the employee review/raise discussion rolls around, it will be much easier for you to ask for a raise.
4. Earn his trust.
5. If you still feel that he is micro-managing you, then leave, but give it a try, FWIW, it's an experience in itself, you have to go through a few a-holes in life. One told me that I would never amount to anything (I was in college, working part time in a bakery) and when I was leaving, she was like "Who is going to work the morning shifts on weekends, you were my best employee", and the other one later in a professional life, anytime I asked a question said "Can't you figure this out yourself, it's not rocket science" and when I would do something without checking with him first "Why did you do that without asking me, you could get fired for doing things this way".

Old 01-25-2014, 01:58 AM

19 posts, read 23,929 times
Not to hijack your threat but I'm in the same position. I had a wonderful job and took another. My new employer is so off the chain as far as micromanaging. It is so unbelievable the extent he micromanages. I want to cry every single day. He's seriously sick.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:38 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
I pitty for the OP as well as anyone that has a micromanager boss. I had one and resigned for another position. The next position the manager was the opposite of a micromanager. It's very refreshing to be away from a micromanager.

I remember running into my micromanager boss at the coffee pot one Monday morning. I mentioned a weekend system emergency that was handled by some team members, as it was mentioned in the office that morning by a few people, just in passing. The weekend team did their job well and followed all procedures. The boss expressed sadness that they didn't contact him over the weekend to get involved. He wanted his hands in that too, even though the team did everything promptly and correctly. He didn't need to notify anyone and wasn't needed for the weekend work. He just wanted to 'be involved'. Even though the on-call procedures didn't involve contacting Mr Micromanager.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
What am I missing here? southkakkatlantan was the OP but, then, Post #3, which was obviously written by the OP, was from InNeedOfAdvice.

Is the same person using two IDs?

Post #1:

Post #3:
Exactly, strange......

However dealing with a micromanager boss is impossible IMO. I have been there and gone just nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment