Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 PM

41 posts, read 52,217 times

Advertisements

Because no one can afford after this guy got into office. Now, it's hang on to your job, maintain a certain glum ethos that says, "you got me boss, there is nothing I can do" and then act happy or like a seal clapping for a fish every time the President gives his JFK type style empty speeches.

This post makes me laugh, man. Thanks for this. Maybe that's what I should do: Be as glum and unsmiling as possible when I go into work and make a game of it. See what people's reactions are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 02:35 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,864,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I really feel sorry for people who have to work with the unwashed masses. I was at the grocery store the other day and some ass hole was yelling at one of the cashiers "Why don't you have any more lanes open? Don't you have anyone else working here?" in a real hateful tone.

He made eye contact with me for a second and I gave him the meanest "go to Hell" look I believe I have ever given anyone. People who are abusive to cashiers/customer service people make me sick.
I've never seen that happen to anybody else, but it does and if I as a customer saw it, I wouldn't hesitate to knock a person like that down a couple notches.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 PM

48 posts, read 67,420 times
I just started reading from page 1 & I got to page 6 and couldn't finish. I only signed up for this site tonight, but searching for this type of info is what brought me here. I lost count of the times I was screwed by an employer or a backstabber. I lost count of the times I saw dishonesty or something illegal at work (I work in a highly technical field). Each time I tried to change it, each time I spoke up. As a result I have been unemployed for 8 months now & the hell of it is (looking back), I don't think I could have done it any differently. It is just not in me to act that way. The irony?......at each and every interview - I am the one who is looked down on for resigning or being let go because I would not compromise my principles. I am conservative, but corporate America is out of hand & tyrannical. HR is usually evil & each person who does nothing also shares responsibility for the way things are today.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:49 PM

333 posts, read 387,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynottellit View Post
I just started reading from page 1 & I got to page 6 and couldn't finish. I only signed up for this site tonight, but searching for this type of info is what brought me here. I lost count of the times I was screwed by an employer or a backstabber. I lost count of the times I saw dishonesty or something illegal at work (I work in a highly technical field). Each time I tried to change it, each time I spoke up. As a result I have been unemployed for 8 months now & the hell of it is (looking back), I don't think I could have done it any differently. It is just not in me to act that way. The irony?......at each and every interview - I am the one who is looked down on for resigning or being let go because I would not compromise my principles. I am conservative, but corporate America is out of hand & tyrannical. HR is usually evil & each person who does nothing also shares responsibility for the way things are today.
This is very true with a lot of places in corporate America now. I resign from my last job as similar things like you mention happen. Fortunately the job itself ended up not being what I wanted to do, and since I'm young, 25, and have a degree that is applicable to what I want to do like SEO or analyzing data compare to my previous position involving with direct mail cold sales. But it's sad how my manager fired my fellow associate because he didn't meet eye to eye on everything with my manager, and then took back their promise that everyone who starts does the menial work to understand what our admin does was a lie as my dotted line, or 2nd boss, got to skip all of that and she threw tasks on me that I couldn't handle as I was busy with other tasks by my main boss. Then I get lectured how I should always say yes to everything, and then hearing about the company vision. Sadly they did a 180 on me when I fell behind on a project due to technical issues with the database. I admit how I was having issues and I didn't speak up enough as I misjudge how long it would take to get it done, but it seems like if you aren't pitching a perfect game everyday then you are in trouble. Or until you make the right friends or find ways to shift blame onto others as I've seen that often.

If I enjoyed the work I would have stayed, but the job itself wasn't a good fit for me nor what I wanted to do. The management treatment was just icing on the cake, and while it hasn't been easy trying to get another job as I'm still looking 7 months later, but at least it shows honesty when I talk about where I want my career to go as my old job didn't provide the experience or growth I need. The downside is most employers want you have experience directly related to that same position. Heck, maybe it's an excuse thrown to me, but it's at least convincing how I want to start my career in a path in the direction I wanted down a path that I want to develop my skills in.

Sadly I was let go on my first job, or I should say terminated, but I got a severance package. In IL I can get a report of my file, and the reasons to get rid of me was just them covering their ass. One reason was I didn't see an email about a group lunch. I was busy and I didn't check my email for a good hour or so, and that was basically nitpicking. The thing with email has gotten crazy in the workplace. If you don't respond to your email within 30 minutes no matter what the time of the day it is, even if you are eating with your family, they want you to drop everything and live and breath work at all times. It's ludicrious how you see so much mistreatment to employees outside of executive leadership.

The thing I recommend is you need to develop a legitimate reason such as you didn't see career growth or had opportunities to develop necessary skills. Not everyone buys that, heck, there are employers who cast you out immediately if you aren't already working as they see you as disloyal. Funny though how they want you to abandon your current employer for theirs. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:52 AM

333 posts, read 387,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepickedthruspithole View Post
What's most STRIKING to me when entering a tenant's space is how quiet it is. It's like you can here a pin drop in the place..A bunch of people in cubes working on their PC's, nobody talking to one another (unless it's behind closed doors in
a conference room)..
I think to myself, "how can anyone work in this type of environment" as it's stifling..you can feel as you walk in there..

IMO opinion it's PC that has caused the office environment to be as it is today..

God forbid you say the wrong thing anymore (whatever that is), and your co-worker complains, and your out the door.

I feel bad for these working people who work like mimes..and work in fear..

You nailed it. That working like mimes is what I've seen a lot of when I've gone on interviews lately.

At the most recent place I worked, the people didn't work like mimes...but something wasn't right with the atmosphere and I couldn't put my finger on it for a while. Something about the way people were talking to each other was irritating me beyond belief and I, for the first time ever, resorted to wearing headphones at work because it was just unbearable. I eventually figured out that what was bothering me was that the people were working in fear. They were talking but not really talking. Everything sounded too carefully scripted, people watching what they were saying, no sincere humor. There was a guy there who ended every sentence on a lilting feminine "upnote". Another who had an incredibly annoying, hyena like laugh that never had any real relation to anything said. Everyone, right down to the shipping department, deferred to their supervisors, no one had any opinion of their own. Now...my job before this was at a corporate office and I had never experienced anything like this even there. This company I'm describing above was a small business. I came to find out that the management were terrors and realized fear was what was producing the strange and irritating behavior I was finding. I ended up leaving because I cannot work like that. I refuse to but then again, I also literally can't. My system won't let me.

People there sold out and were absolutely spineless. It was like a version of Roritor Pharmaceuticals from the movie "Brain Candy" come to life, without the fancy office.
Unfortunately this atmosphere of fear is common nowadays in most workplaces, and the employers know it and encourage it. Why? Because it's a buyer market, and they can replace you instantly when you do something wrong or have an opinion that conflicts with the leaders. Remember though, these people encourage ideas and to speak up as long as it agrees their ideas and view points. Also now everyone is short sighted. They want short term profits, see the employee as a problem and losing money for a minor mistake, and feel like any new ideas that differs from leadership aren't team players and following the company vision. It's all crap.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:05 AM

723 posts, read 872,238 times
everyone is scared ****less of being sued now. You can thank decades of frivolous lawsuits for ****ing up everything.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:56 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,416,444 times
If someone is racist, or hates people with disabilities they deserve to be sued. People with disabilities should be getting the upmost respect for wanting to work, and not live on the public dole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment