Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 AM

1,006 posts, read 737,753 times

Advertisements

My employer has made it a "requirement" that we use ALL our vacation prior to the new year. Of the 200 hours of vacation used I still have 140 left over. From my experience employers either pay out those unused hours by the end of the year or allow you to roll them over. My employer has restricted the amount we can roll over to 40 hours so I'd essentially lose 100 hours of vacation. Is this legal, is there a baseline policy on vacation hours, etc...?

Perhaps someone with HR experience can chime in. I'm in the Oil and Gas industry supporting HPC arrays for processing geophysical data and simulations, not much if any time for vacation yet I'm expected to use those hours...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,175,975 times
There's no law stating that you have to be paid for vacation time you don't use, unless the policy manual specifically states that you EARN rather than ACCRUE vacation time. Very important distinction there. If you EARN something you must be paid for it. If you ACCRUE it, then it's nothing more than a benefit that you can lose.

It's also legal for employers to mandate that you either use your accrued vacation time or lose it. Same with accrued sick leave or any personal time off.

Actually, I think it's a really stupid policy NOT to pay people for unused sick time - to me, losing unused sick days seems like a punishment and something that encourages people to call in sick even if they're not (for instance, in my past job I had two weeks of sick leave every year and there's no way I was sick two weeks out of every year, but if I didn't use it, it wouldn't roll over and I just lost it). But when it comes to vacation time, it sounds like your company WANTS you to take vacation, to get away from work a bit, and this is their way of encouraging healthy breaks in your work routine.

My advice would be - take vacations!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:13 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,210,759 times
I have never worked anywhere at a company that would pay out for unused vacation and usually at most you can carry over a few days with prior approval that had to be used pretty quickly in the new year.

Is this a new policy or has it always been this way? If new when did they announce it? Are you talking about 2013? Because if you sounds like you are out of luck.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
Use it or lose it, there is no law to prevent them from doing that. We are still allowed to carry over but they reduced it to 500 hours max. We can also sell it back, to reduce the hours if we choose not to use them, or if in a financial bind and need quick cash.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:20 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,619,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We are still allowed to carry over but they reduced it to 500 hours max.
500 hours isn't a very strict limit. That's close to three months of vacation.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:23 PM

548 posts, read 1,219,827 times
A lot of employers have a use it or lose it policy. There isn't anything wrong with that. Since you were presumably notified of this policy in a handbook or somewhere else, it is really your fault that you didn't use it. Next year, take vacation!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's no law stating that you have to be paid for vacation time you don't use, unless the policy manual specifically states that you EARN rather than ACCRUE vacation time. Very important distinction there. If you EARN something you must be paid for it. If you ACCRUE it, then it's nothing more than a benefit that you can lose.

It's also legal for employers to mandate that you either use your accrued vacation time or lose it. Same with accrued sick leave or any personal time off.

Actually, I think it's a really stupid policy NOT to pay people for unused sick time - to me, losing unused sick days seems like a punishment and something that encourages people to call in sick even if they're not (for instance, in my past job I had two weeks of sick leave every year and there's no way I was sick two weeks out of every year, but if I didn't use it, it wouldn't roll over and I just lost it). But when it comes to vacation time, it sounds like your company WANTS you to take vacation, to get away from work a bit, and this is their way of encouraging healthy breaks in your work routine.

My advice would be - take vacations!
Honestly if that were the case they would foster a work environment more conducive to taking vacations. We simply don't have time or resources to do so, management seems to notice this but pushes the vacation agenda to seem as if they truly want you to but the reality is we work until it gets done. Not a bad work environment, just little to no room for vacation yet we have such policies that seem to differ from managements ideology.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,210,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

to me, losing unused sick days seems like a punishment and something that encourages people to call in sick even if they're not
Just like not paying out sick time might encourage some to call in sick when they aren't paying out sick time might encourage some to come in when they are sick.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Just like not paying out sick time might encourage some to call in sick when they aren't paying out sick time might encourage some to come in when they are sick.
My experience has been the expectation that we are "available" in the event we are sick, not saying this is policy or even how its done company wide but this seems to be the consensus with guys on my side. We are basically telecommuting if we are sick.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,124,907 times
How much notice of the policy did they give? When our company put a cap of 400 hours accrued vacation in we got over a years notice it was coming and have been told it is eventually going down to 300 hours in the next couple years. We don't get a set number of sick days. That falls under a seperate category that is called 'net casual' that can either be positive or negative and is somewhat subject to management approval.

If they suddenly said in September that they were changing the policy and all vacation had to be taken by Dec 31 That would be tough and I would think the place would be rather quiet as the year approched the end. But if they are telling you now that as on this year (2014) you have to use it all by the end of the year you have some time to plan accordingly. My question would be What if I want to take vacation in January or February? Am I allowed to 'go in the hole' until I earn it if I had a zero balance on January 1?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment