Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 06:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times

Advertisements

You're forgetting two things:
1. People of Hawaii and Florida too, don't get to wear flip flops at work either if they work in an office environment. You wouldn't want to wear that because they keep the AC on 40 degrees so you'll freeze your butt off. Folks at Publix (our grocery store) wear sweat shirts year round over uniforms because it's so cold in there.

2. Work places in America are mini jail compounds! Co-workers don't friend each other even though they spend many hours together...bosses take themselves way to seriously...employees are treated like machines and not people...ever seen a call center? they make people wear uniforms even though they're not military or nurses and so forth...should I even mention that most frown upon you eating your lunch??? The exceptions to the above are so small, they're not worth mentioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 07:16 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
I've found that the old axiom "you act like you dress" holds true. So I don't mind dressing up for work all that much.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Tell your boss that he can't tell you how to dress at YOUR job. It is on going systematic oppression of the proletariot and you don't have to stand for it.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Since when have flip-flops become acceptable as anything other than casual wear? I'm seeing them worn more and more at weddings and funerals as formal wear.

My office has a very loose dress code. It ranges from t-shirt and jeans and sneakers, to dockers, collared shirt and tie depending on what we are doing or who we are meeting on a particular day.

In my opinion, people simply don't dress up anymore these days. While i'm not saying everyone should dress formally everyday, like some postcards from the 20's and 30's suggest...but there was a time when a suit was every day wear.

So with that said, while I am a t-shirt and jeans kinda guy on the weekend with scruff, I do enjoy putting on some dressier clothes during the work week and looking a bit more professional.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
I have to wear business casual and I hate it. Before this job I've never had to be this dressed up every day. My advice: push the limits of what you can get away with. Get the employee handbook and read the section regarding dress code. Look for loopholes. Do you have to wear khakis? Make it cargo khakis. These LAPG pants are more comfortable than jeans and are still technically khakis: LA Police Gear Operator Tactical Pants w/ Elastic Waistband Wear a flannel shirt. Not like lumberjack flannel but like something nice from JC Pennys. If anyone says anything about it, make a joke and immediately turn the conversation to something else. Don't take it too far or they'll crack down on you. Do your job, try to get along with your coworkers and they'll likely never mention it.

I too wish I could wear flip flops and casual tees. But no, I have to dress up just to sit in a cubicle all day. Makes no sense.
This is great advice for anyone who wants to stop getting promotions. The most comfortable clothes I have are custom tailored suits. Other than wearing a tie, a tailored 100% wool suit is much more comfortable than anything else I own.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
I really think the workplace, in general, needs more cummerbunds.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:40 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is great advice for anyone who wants to stop getting promotions. The most comfortable clothes I have are custom tailored suits. Other than wearing a tie, a tailored 100% wool suit is much more comfortable than anything else I own.
Is your employer providing an allowance for the cost and cleaning of that folderol? If not. you're allowing him into your paycheck just as surely as if a union in a non-right-to-work state forces you to pay dues.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:29 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I really think the workplace, in general, needs more cummerbunds.
And spats!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:21 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It most certainly is a burden! in addition to making the wearer uncomfortable, and possibly unnecessarily self-conscious, it's a ditz-magnet. A disoriented outsider who doesn't really know what he/she wants willalmost always take his/her problem to the youngest male in the roomwearing a necktie, (because he/she invaribly knows where the poor sap fits in the pecking order).

To top it all off and add injury to insult, by some obscene reasoming, expensive dress clothes are considered "adaptable to general wear" by the IRS, and not one bit deductible. If one is forced to wear such foolishnes on a daily basis, the rule amounts to a de facto cut in pay.
Jesus...it never ceases to amaze me what people will complain about on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Is your employer providing an allowance for the cost and cleaning of that folderol? If not. you're allowing him into your paycheck just as surely as if a union in a non-right-to-work state forces you to pay dues.
Some of us actually do like to dress nicely outside of the office on occasion as well and, as a result, simply just actually own grown up clothes to begin with.

Although I'm more apt to be found in a Ramones t-shirt and jeans on the weekends.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post

I wonder if businesses actually weigh the significance of dress code. Comfortable employees translate into less time spent getting ready, less money spent on clothing and less stressful/uptight atmosphere.
Businesses certainly DO "weigh the significance of dress codes." I worked for a Fortune 100 company where, after study, they instituted "Casual Fridays" in the hope it would result in happier employees who produced more. Employees were told they didn't have to wear strict business attire on Friday. The majority of employees were men. It was suggested that they replace their suits with khakis and polo shirts or sweaters in winter. Jeans were allowed as long as they were "dress-style" jeans, not ripped or faded out.

Within a year it was declared a disaster. People were coming to work dressed like they were about to wash cars or paint houses. Some of the women used it as an opportunity to dress in a sexually provocative manner they obviously knew was not "business attire." Reminders in the company newsletter about the definition of "casual dress" were ignored. Even managers who were very happy to don khakis and polo shirts themselves said it caused a deterioration in attitude in their departments.

All employees from the GM on down had to scan in with badges, so it was easy to document beyond question that late arrivals, early leaving, and extra-long lunches increased tremendously over what occurred when people wore business attire on Fridays. So Casual Fridays were cancelled.

Yes, many people DO feel more comfortable wearing what they want to wear. But most employers don't hire you to feel comfortable. They hire you to do what THEY want you do, when THEY want you to do it. Requiring you to look adult and proper while you perform your functions creates a mood of seriousness in the workplace and stabilizes management's authority over you. Which the person who signs your check wants.

If you want to work in PJs, be self-employed. Even then, I guarantee that you will replace those PJs with much more "formal" attire (as our OP puts it) when you entertain clients in your home office or leave your home for a meeting. If you go to make a presentation at IBM, I'll bet you won't be representing your abilities by showing up in jeans and a T-shirt emblazoned with the name of your favorite band.

Why did different kinds of dress styles evolve throughout history? It's not all dictated by the fashion industry; distinctions in dress occurred long before there was a fashion industry. Different kinds of work and variations in weather caused the evolution of different styles of clothing. There are still hat styles, for example, named for the activity they were designed for: trapper hats, trooper hats, aviator caps, Sou'westers, deer stalkers, baseball caps. Dressing a particular way distinguishes people, draws attention to them, defines their status, reflects on their environment, and influences the events taking place. Otherwise we would all dress in the same sackcloth we slept in.

For example, there are people who would take their marriage vows seriously if they were wed in bathing suits. Yet throughout history, people have used weddings as an occasion to dress in a very special way, reflecting what they feel about the event. Why does the military have a "dress" uniform as well as a "working" uniform? People who request that you "dress up" for their party are trying to establish a mood of specialness. Men as well as women act differently when they are looking sharp.

I wonder why you don't feel better about yourself when you are making an impression beyond that you might be a lay-about. Not to mention, why you are so physically uncomfortable in business clothes? Do they not fit you properly? Finally, as for saving money, the people who spend the least on their clothing are people who wear uniforms assigned by their employers. Something tells me you don't want that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment