Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:55 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,003,419 times

Advertisements

Comes back to the culture of the environment you're in, which from my experience is not only on a company level but can also vary from department to department. I've worked in both. Some can be extremely anal about attendance. Others could care less as long as you meet whatever benchmarks are established for you. Part of it does come down to whether you are an exempt or non-exempt employee as well. It sounds like your organization probably swings more to the anal side of things, and if they are strict in that respect they have probably had people abusing any flexibility they may have had. Also, unfortunately, there always seems to be those other employees who want to complain about what everyone else is doing, whether or not it even matters, and sometimes that leads to e-mails like the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 02:00 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
As a group email I'm not sure why it bothers you so much.
If you are punctual and do not leave early it should be treated as any other not related to you group email and deleted.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:41 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,838,335 times
You know whether or not you're following the rules. Ignore it.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:09 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,064,511 times
With so many employees believing they can routinely come in late or leave early and it's no big deal, I can understand and appreciate why the email was issued.

Since the email was distributed to everyone, don't worry about it unless you're one of those who makes up their own rules.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:41 AM

278 posts, read 308,973 times
Question Chillax much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
HR at my job just sent out this insulting e-mail that would have been more appropriate for teenagers just getting a taste of the work world. I will paraphrase its contents, which basically amounted to: "Plan your day so you are punctual. And never ever leave 5 or 10 minutes early. Over a year, that's 20 hours of unpaid time."

I've bee working for a LONG time in professional capacities and never have encountered an e-mail like this. Am I crazy, or is this e-mail crazy?!

Edited to Add: This was not sent to me individually, but to a large group of employees in general.
Neither but I think it's crazy that this email is sending you so far over the edge...

Old 12-25-2013, 06:18 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,736,876 times
If they have to write letters like this, their business is screwed. Get out while you can.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:27 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,948,586 times
They should single out the individuals who are slipping out early and talk to them, and not blanket-condemn the entire staff. Or better yet, they should shut the heck up and leave the staff alone. Judge people not by their adherence to an arbitrary schedule but by their performance. If I'm getting my work done and I leave early one day, late the next, which is the way I tend to be, then everyone should be happy.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,134,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Sending a group email is management's cop out to directly confronting individual wrongdoers.
This. If you know you're not part of the problem, then you weren't the intended target for the message.

If management is so concerned by this, suggest they consider installing time clocks to monitor employees' work hours. My workplace has time clocks that require a fingerprint scan to punch in and out. That prevents people from doing time clock punches for their buddies who left early or arrived late.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:23 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,463,958 times
I agree this email is unprofessional. It doesn't surprise me though. It's a classic HR passive aggressive strategy to send an email to everyone instead of confronting the actual time thieves.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:37 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,308,373 times
I don't know whether they are addressing one person or if they believe there is a more widespread pattern of abuse. In this case I want to know the actual text, not the paraphrase, as I don't see a "never ever" memo coming from a HR professional. It is perfectly reasonable for them to expect you to stay until quitting time unless you have approval from your supervisor to cut out a few minutes early so you can deal with an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment