Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:17 PM

44 posts, read 90,380 times

Advertisements

HR at my job just sent out this insulting e-mail that would have been more appropriate for teenagers just getting a taste of the work world. I will paraphrase its contents, which basically amounted to: "Plan your day so you are punctual. And never ever leave 5 or 10 minutes early. Over a year, that's 20 hours of unpaid time."

I've bee working for a LONG time in professional capacities and never have encountered an e-mail like this. Am I crazy, or is this e-mail crazy?!

Edited to Add: This was not sent to me individually, but to a large group of employees in general.

Last edited by KicktheCan; 12-24-2013 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: More info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 08:26 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,292 times
Depends on the actual wording. If it says something like "you're expected to work 8 hours everyday excluding a 30/60 min break" that would be acceptable. If it says "never leave 5 or 10 minutes early", shows poor communication skills of the HR rep who sent it out and approved it may have to answer to their superiors.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Someone or some people got caught once, or noticed over a period of time, and an informal email was sent out to everyone, but really to those who they know are doing it; common management technique when some rules start getting "bent" by either one person or a few people.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
What's the problem? Be on time and don't leave early. Simple message. If you are already doing these things, then the email wasn't directed at you.

Sending a group email is management's cop out to directly confronting individual wrongdoers.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Sending a group email is management's cop out to directly confronting individual wrongdoers.
I think it is more of a "we know what you are doing, but this email is a free pass, but do not let it happen again".

Old 12-24-2013, 08:58 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Context is key here.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Having worked in several corp environments, I can think of one where I would have welcomed it. We had wisespread part-timers who were being paid for full-time positions. And most were non-exempt, and would have raised h*ll if they didn't get paid for every minute of infrequent OT.

So OP, how widespread is the problem? Be honest here..if we checked your office lot at the correct starting time, and checked 15 minutes later, what percentage of cars were added during those 15 minutes? At night, do the reeverse..cars in lot 10 minutes before end of day vs at proper end of day.

Context is what matters here.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:17 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
HR at my job just sent out this insulting e-mail that would have been more appropriate for teenagers just getting a taste of the work world. I will paraphrase its contents, which basically amounted to: "Plan your day so you are punctual. And never ever leave 5 or 10 minutes early. Over a year, that's 20 hours of unpaid time."

I've bee working for a LONG time in professional capacities and never have encountered an e-mail like this. Am I crazy, or is this e-mail crazy?!

Edited to Add: This was not sent to me individually, but to a large group of employees in general.
I've gotten snitty group e-mails like that before.

Just let it roll off your back. Get to work on time, do your job, leave, and collect your paycheck.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:17 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Its bad management imo to lecture a group rather than deal with the specific problem employee(s). However, if they have let a situation get out of control with lots of employees late/leaving early it may be the only way to effectively put them all on notice before they start dealing with the worst offenders.

Also, makes management look silly to being doing calculations to justify a policy that requires no explanation lol. Kind of like trying to reason with a toddler over bad behavior rather than just take the age appropriate action to stop the behavior.

Or, given the timing maybe they were just trying to discourage people leaving early due to holidays?

Old 12-25-2013, 12:02 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post

I can understand why they wrote that. Someone at the office was probably doing something like that, or a group of people. They sent it out to everyone obviously. They could have worded it a little bit better though to make it sound more professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment