Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 02:32 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,513,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
OP, after briefly speaking to one of my friends who works in higher ed about how to get a job in that area, I was told that at big universities masters degrees are basically a must, and that if you're looking into grad school you should make sure the program you pick has an internship.

Many programs encourage internships, but there are some where it's a required part of the curriculum in order to graduate. According to my friend, those are the schools you want to apply to because they apparently have more connections and the internship is always a way to line up a job before graduating.
Good advice. All things being equal, experience should count as much or more than a grad degree; however, all things are not equal when there is high unemployment because you are probably competing against a lot of people who have both. Additionally, prestigious universities prefer grad degrees.

The people I have known in academia always had free tuition for themselves and their families. Don't know if this is still true. Is it possible to set your sights lower on less prestigious colleges that also have graduate programs and will pay for your graduate degree after you are hired.

Can you talk to former professors or student advisors where you got your degree and get their advice? Even if you hit them up on facebook or linkedin, what do you have to lose? Some of them will probably answer you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 02:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,049 posts, read 82,304,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac11 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am applying for academic advisor/student services types of jobs.

So, do you think a MA degree is better than practical experience in the field?

Why?
No, experience is better than none with the MA, but with no experience the MA is better than the Bachelor. In the social sciences, educational or not, it's almost impossible to get work with just a BA/BS and no experience.Too many experienced people that were laid off from schools and other public agencies.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:38 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,796,394 times
depends on what you do with your MS. in my current position i replaced someone with a BS, although i hear they left because they were not promoted...not sure if that has anything to do with an MS degree but it might.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:47 PM

615 posts, read 1,387,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
We're approaching the point where nothing less then a graduate degree is becoming required (I have one myself as well) for many jobs, which in my opinion could probably be done with an associates degree. Some of the salaries out there for jobs asking for a graduate degree are comical to say the least.
This degree inflation is systematic and is really screwing everyone over. The longer you stay in the school, the more debt you rack up and the longer it takes you to actually start earning money.

I know many people with masters and even PhDs that are complete idiots. Some of them got their degrees from for profit schools that accept anyone. Some of them cheated their way through it, some of them "winged it" by studying some thing useless.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,539,353 times
With an undergrad degree, and experience, you will be stuck in Community College. If you want work at a University, you will need a Masters degree. I doubt you will even get an interview at the University level.

Why? Because jobs are become fewer and farther between, and the field is competitive, your résumé will be up against others, who have just as much experience as you...but also a Masters. Automatically, you go to the bottom of the pile, and hope that they perform unacceptably horrible in the interview (fat chance).

Old 12-22-2013, 05:07 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,280,632 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I am applying for academic advisor/student services types of jobs.

So, do you think a MA degree is better than practical experience in the field?

Why?

That is a false dichotomy. You would want both and getting one doesn't prevent you from seeking the other.

Having worked at a few universities, not suprisingly, education was held in very high regard. At one institution, everyone had at least one degree and the vast majority (including Admin Assistants) had a masters.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:09 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,280,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
This degree inflation is systematic and is really screwing everyone over. The longer you stay in the school, the more debt you rack up and the longer it takes you to actually start earning money.

I know many people with masters and even PhDs that are complete idiots. Some of them got their degrees from for profit schools that accept anyone. Some of them cheated their way through it, some of them "winged it" by studying some thing useless.

There aren't many people that take for profit degrees seriously. You can still go, part time, even at night, to a reputable state school and get a master's for not too much money.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:14 PM

105 posts, read 138,083 times
Thanks all for your thoughts.

I have 5 internships in my field, a Bachelor's and a graduate certificate (half of a Master's). One of the reasons I cannot go for a MA is a health reason.

All the people (professors, etc) I've talked to have said I need a Master's. However, I can't explain to them my health problems.

I guess I am screwed

Old 12-22-2013, 05:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,618,965 times
Quote:
Thanks all for your thoughts.

I have 5 internships in my field, a Bachelor's and a graduate certificate (half of a Master's). One of the reasons I cannot go for a MA is a health reason.

All the people (professors, etc) I've talked to have said I need a Master's. However, I can't explain to them my health problems.

I guess I am screwed
No, you are not screwed. Do the best with what you have.

Look at the job listings. If you have all or most of the requirements except the Master's, go ahead and apply. Write a really good, compelling cover letter. Look to build and use your network. Look for other jobs in the college/university that you qualify for and plan to move over to advising.

Don't give up.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:23 PM

7,959 posts, read 7,924,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
With an undergrad degree, and experience, you will be stuck in Community College. If you want work at a University, you will need a Masters degree. I doubt you will even get an interview at the University level.

Why? Because jobs are become fewer and farther between, and the field is competitive, your résumé will be up against others, who have just as much experience as you...but also a Masters. Automatically, you go to the bottom of the pile, and hope that they perform unacceptably horrible in the interview (fat chance).
It's tougher where I am. if you want to teach in a university you can try with a masters but for a full professor you'd need to have a phd. One professor told me that it's a paradox for him. He wants to teach more but they won't let him because he'd monopolise the class but they won't let him take the time to get a phd. So....

You can be a visiting lecturer or a adjunct professor with a masters but it's hard to see a full one without a ph.d, especially if it is tenure track.

Community colleges are different I think a masters should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment