Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should there be a minimum tip level mandated by law.
Yes, if a tip is given it should be at least 15% by law. 5 6.85%
Yes, but 15% is too high 1 1.37%
Yes, but 15% is too low 1 1.37%
No, the percentage should strictly be decided by the tipper 66 90.41%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 AM

358 posts, read 512,376 times

Advertisements

Next you'll demand the government force people to eat out at least once a week.

I tip based on the service and the food. I'm generous enough, but I'll not have someone tell me what I have to tip. I'll stop going to restaurants entirely first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 11:40 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Personally I think if you don't want to tip then you shouldn't be eating out. Going out to eat at a restaurant and being served is a luxury.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:52 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
Next you'll demand the government force people to eat out at least once a week.

I tip based on the service and the food. I'm generous enough, but I'll not have someone tell me what I have to tip. I'll stop going to restaurants entirely first.
"Tipping" is one of the main reasons we don't eat out actually; or get a haircut for that matter.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:53 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I have been a server and, quite frankly, it was the easiest money I've made. Really. Between the busboys and the foodrunners, I basically took the order and the money. I also worked at smaller places where I had to do more, but still easy. I had a few difficult customers, but I've always been good at reading people. Customers who were difficult got average service. Great tippers got great service. I never took anything personally.

Now, I tip purely based on service. If the service is bad, so is the tip. If it's really bad, I'll speak with a manager and leave. If the service is good, I tip extremely well.

I love tipping. I feel like it gives me more control regarding the service. I don't wait for drinks, I get great tables, and I get great service. Win-win for me. Incidentally, I don't go to places where tip is added in. They always suck and they always have servers no other restaurant wants.

Overall, if you're not making good money with tips, the issue is with you.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
If a law was passed where I had to either tip 0% a specified amount like 15% or 20%, I'd be tipping 0% from then on. Eventually, the politicians would understand they are complete and total morons and revoke the law.

The idea of a tip is for the customer to pay the server based upon the performance. My tips range from 0% to 500% depending upon the circumstance.

If I go to a restaurant and the kitchen is all screwed up, not the fault of the waiter, and the manager comps our $30 meal, I'd probably leave the waiter $10 to even $30 as a tip depending upon how they handled the situation.

If I'm at a Mexican restaurant meeting friends, and I'm not eating or drinking, but sipping on a soda and snacking on the chips for an hour, if the drink is $2, I'll probably leave a $10 bill.

If I take my wife out for our anniversary to a really expensive restaurant and the service couldn't be any worse and the bill is $200, I might leave a $5 tip.

Generally speaking, I tip between 15% and 20% for an average job done by the server. 20% to 25% for a really good job.

The largest tip I've given proportionally for a mid level meal was $80 on a $120 check.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:32 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Tips are 100% based on the waiters service. Not the food, not the waot to be seated. Just their service.

15% is always a minimum unless it was very bad.

I.e. if I'm eating hot wings and I'm out of water for 15 minutes without seeing my waiter or waitress.

Normally I tip average and certainly tip better if they go above and beyond.

If it was set at 15% the waiter or waitress would have little incentive to make your meal enjoyable. If I'm out to a meal I prefer a pleasant helpful person. Not someone who doesn't care much knowing they will get paid the same regardless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment