Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times

Advertisements

Hello!

This past Sunday I sent an e-mail to a local company that was seeking several hundred additional holiday employees to assist with anticipated heavy volume during the upcoming Christmas season. I used my e-mail moreso as a cover letter addressing why I was interested in pursuing a position with this company, and then I attached my resume as a word document to the e-mail. After speaking with a professor of mine who worked for this company briefly to earn additional income when she first moved to the region, she assured me I would have no trouble obtaining a position there due to my qualifications, especially since some of her former co-workers would show up for work drunk.

I've waited all week now for either a return e-mail or phone call, yet I haven't received either. This position is only to assemble gift baskets with gourmet cheeses and to possibly take orders, so I'd assume a college student with five years experience in the retail and customer service fields, leadership experience, and multiple employee of the month awards at former employers would be qualified enough to perform this job. Perhaps I am mistaken?

What do you all believe I should do? Would it appear desperate or disrespectful if I called the company or showed up at their door to inquire as to whether or not they had considered my resume yet? Should I send another e-mail asking if they read my last one? By leaving me "hanging" like this for about five days now it has certainly soured my attitude on this company, but this job sounds like something I'd love to do for the Holidays, which is why I'm not understanding why this employer would not have at least sent me a courtesy e-mail back saying either "Thank you for your interest in our company, but all positions have currently been filled" or "Thank you for your interest in our company. Your resume is currently being considered." For a seasonal position like this, shouldn't I have heard something by now?

If you were in my position, what would you do? Would you risk making yourself look desperate by contacting them a second time, or would you sit and wait even longer, even though their busy season has already begun and the need for workers should be at its maximum? Would you just consider a different company altogether since this one wasn't responsible enough to reply?

Any and all advice you could provide to me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-22-2007 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 08:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Personally I've always believed in being proactive.

It shows interest in the position.

Something I remind people of (constantly it seems) is that that the worst thing you can hear is "no". If you call and ask the waiting and worrying is over. Think about it: If you call and the answer is no, if you don't call the answer is still no. You just don't know it yet...

If your resume is at the bottom of some pile a phone call just might bring it to the top.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:37 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
Does the professor know the name of a contact person at this company? Did the professor leave on good terms?

If it were me, I'd show up at the company (with a copy of my resume in case they ask for it) and ask to speak to the contact person. If I didn't have the name of the contact person, I'd simply tell whomever was there that I was interested in a position and ask them with whom I should speak and when that person would be available. At that point, I'd really try not to leave my resume--I'd concentrate on trying to get the name of the person I need to talk to. Depending on the professor's relationship with this person, I might mention that professor so-and-so suggested that I'd be a good fit with your company, etc.

As far as coming off desperate, I don't think so. I think you'd come across as someone who wants a job.

Good luck!

Old 11-22-2007, 08:42 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
I would type of a cover letter and print out a copy of my resume on nice paper and go by the company and speak to someone about a job.

I wouldn't mention that you sent an email, I would just approach it like it was your first time inquiring. They could have gotte so many emails, your got lost. Going in person shows your serious about the job.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:47 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,398,056 times
First of all, if I were in your position, I'd be applying to lots of jobs, as many as possible. Any time you send a resume, you follow up with a phone call. "Hi, I'm just following up. Did you receive my resume? No? I'll send it again."

Old 11-22-2007, 09:16 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Thanks very much everyone for all of your insight. I always thought it would be viewed as a sign of desperation or neediness to ask an employer if they had the opportunity to review my resume, but I suppose it could also be seen as a sign of being pro-active and interested in the position.

I'm assuming my professor left there on good terms, since she spoke so highly of the company in general and referenced her drunk and undermotivated co-workers as being a blemish to their operations, but in a company so large name-dropping might not get me very far (although I suppose it could never hurt to try).

I was hoping to arrange an interview via e-mail, since my weakest Achilles' Hell of sorts is my clarity while speaking on the phone, but I suppose a telephone call could never hurt. I'm a bit leery of showing up in person with my resume in case I'm asked to do an interview on-site and immediately, as I don't even know how to dress for such a position. I'm afraid I'll look "overqualified" for a job assembling gift baskets if I show up in a suit and tie, so I was thinking of wearing khakis with a tucked-in button-down shirt, belt, and dress shoes. Would that sound appropriate?

The prospect of having to aggressively seek work is a foreign concept to me, as my past two employers jumped at the chance to hire me when I applied. I suppose I got "spoiled" by that, and perhaps I was overly-confident in applying to this position as a result.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-22-2007 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 11-22-2007, 09:27 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,206,581 times
If you sent it on Sunday, they would have gotten it when they got in Monday. If there are many openings, they probably received many applications. So let's say they got it Monday along with many others. Printed them out on Monday and screened them. Then they probably were given to someone who would review and rank them, which probably occured on Tuesday or Wed. They probably left early on Wednesday for Thanksgiving.

My guess is that they will be calling to set up interviews on Monday. I wouldn't do anything more until Tuesday. And if you feel that you do better in person rather than over the phone, walk in. I think the business casual outfit that you described sounds just right.

Good luck- let us know how it goes.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:28 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,398,056 times
Dont' hide behind your email. Pick up the phone and call them. The only way to get good talking on the phone is through practice.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:08 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,605 times
I absolutely agree with the fact you need to stop hiding behind the computer.. pick up the phone and call them

When I apply at radio stations I REALLY want to be at (good format, good managment, good area to live in) I will SNAIL MAIL in my resume, cover letter, references and audio demo on CD.... I will also include my personal, private phone # and tell them to call me at anytime, 24/7.

Sure, you're going to say call them, but 95 percent of these job ads say "NO PHONE CALLS".. I guarentee you ,as busy as General Managers or Program Directors are, theyd throw out my resume if I called them, no matter how qualified I am.

Ive gotten several phone calls that way, including two from different radio stations, that while they didnt have any current openings, they wanted to talk with me.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:15 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Yep - be proactive, pick up the phone. You really have nothing to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment