Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 05:11 PM

615 posts, read 1,385,412 times

Advertisements

I know some Indians that work in the IT industry as professional BSers. They make their jobs seem very difficult and time consuming when it in fact isn't.

They come into work only 4 days a week, and during those four days, they come in around 9:15AM and leave at 4:30PM. They also help themselves to a 1-2 hour lunch. While at their desk, they are usually surfing the internet or making personal phone calls in their native tongue. These guys all earn $100,000 to $150,000 a year + full benefits and 10%-20% annual bonuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:30 PM

165 posts, read 278,228 times
It's very hard to get a job that pays $50,000 a year unless you're a high tech and skilled worker or in decent trade jobs like electricians/plumbers. It's extremely competitive! Most jobs demand longer hours and pay less.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,821,836 times
Quote:
It's very hard to get a job that pays $50,000 a year unless you're a high tech and skilled worker or in decent trade jobs like electricians/plumbers. It's extremely competitive! Most jobs demand longer hours and pay less.
In some areas of the country, this is true. In others it is not true. It depends on the area of the country, the type of employment base, and the unemployment rate and cost of living. When adjusted for cost of living, $50,000 may needed to be adjusted for the area. There are areas of the country, that $30,000 per year, will buy more and give you a decent standard of living than $50,000 in many others.

Example, Median Income By State. Note California which a lot of people think is top, but is really 10th highest.

List of U.S. states by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But when adjusted for cost of living, California drops to middle of the pack.

GeoCommons

So what is $50,000 goal, may mean you can get it in one metro area, but another you would have more buying power at a lot less. Or due to high cost of living, $50,000 is not enough to live on.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 AM

34,181 posts, read 83,323,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
It's very hard to get a job that pays $50,000 a year unless you're
a high tech and skilled worker or in decent trade jobs like electricians/plumbers.
So? There isn't a corner of the country that doesn't have those jobs...
and in most cases some degree of active need for people to do them.

Quote:
It's extremely competitive!
Perhaps. But it's a whole less so when you have real and useful skills.

Quote:
Most jobs demand longer hours and pay less.
Perhaps. But it isn't done abusively when you have real and useful skills.
You'll be compensated for those extra hours when needed.
---

As to that $50,000 figure...
this represents the minimum threshold into middle class life for a family of four.
In some parts of the country (like LA, NY, etc) that $50,000 isn't near enough.
Note that most of the pricier spots are either rather nice or have the most/best jobs.

If they want a spouse to be "stay at home"...
whether that is forever or just for the 10 years or so until the second child is in 1st grade...
someone, somehow needs to be bringing in no less than $50,000 (or more).

If both adults can work... then they can "get away with" earning less each.
If they want to ever buy a home or retire with any comfort... they'll need far more.
The biggest part of that is stability and steadiness of income... even more than the specific number.

Last edited by MrRational; 11-19-2013 at 07:20 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,401,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
When I say 24/7 I'm talking about jobs you have to constantly think about even when you're not physically at work. Checking emails, planning, studying, etc.

It seems the only jobs paying 50k or above where you work a standard 40 hour week and forget about work when you leave require absurd levels of education, talent, luck or connections to get.

Am I right or wrong?
Not when it comes to a lot of I.T. jobs. A lot of employers these days require 45-50 hours a week as a baseline, plus after-hours support rotas and weekend work. It sucks.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:58 AM

297 posts, read 843,966 times
Quote:
What do you do?
I'm a chemist, but I don't live in a lab...We do forensic work (but not crime lab work).

So secretive! LOL!

Old 11-22-2013, 01:02 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,849,483 times
Quote:
When I say 24/7 I'm talking about jobs you have to constantly think about even when you're not physically at work. Checking emails, planning, studying, etc.

It seems the only jobs paying 50k or above where you work a standard 40 hour week and forget about work when you leave require absurd levels of education, talent, luck or connections to get.

Am I right or wrong?
You're in DC. Any government job that requires a bachelor's degree fits that description. You'll probably need to wait about 2 years out of college (GS-7?) to hit that salary though.

I'm an accountant in the Boston area (which has a similar high cost of living compared to DC). I make well above that (just my bonus alone this year was almost half that amount) and I only work 37.5 hours a week most weeks, and 40-45 hours one week a month. Now that I think about it, I was already making more than that my first year out of college. I don't even have a laptop to bring home and most of my work is done on paper in the office. I didn't read through the whole thread so I don't know what your definition of ridiculous education is, but I have a bachelors degree and took a few MBA classes at night to meet the education requirements for getting my CPA.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:32 PM

7,031 posts, read 14,525,552 times
Get a job that is 9 to 5 by nature and doesn't legitimately require you to be "on call" 24/7..

Then turn off your cell phone or at least don't answer any work-related calls after hours.. and don't check email after hours.

Problem solved.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:35 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,557,272 times
Quote:
How did you get that job and what do you do?

Usually Government jobs are hard to get unless you have connections. You can see by my location that I live in an area with MANY Government jobs. I have one friend who works for the Government and "claims" to goof off all the time. He says he leaves early all the time and only works hard 2 weeks out of each month. The rest of the time he just surfs the web, texts his friends gossips with co-workers. Only thing is I don't know exactly what he makes. Based on his lifestyle its probably in the 45k-55k range.
I got my first job working for a city which was across the country from where I studied for my Master's and where I had zero professional connections. I got laid off after the city budget imploded in 2009 and got another job at a related government organization, partially based on connections. I then moved to a completely different city for a more stable position which I landed with no connections. Now I am getting tired of the COL around here and shopping around for a position with equivalent pay and stability in a more reasonable area. I was offered a position in a completely different state in the middle of the country, a VERY low COL area, but couldn't bring myself to make the move. I have also landed interviews and am waiting to hear back about positions in two other areas, in both of which, no connections.

Based on my experience I would say it is definitely possible to land a government job without connections.

I would say if you are genuinely interested and skilled in a profession that happens to be hired by the government, you could probably get a job, but if your sole goal in life is to land a cushy "government job" where you can surf the web all the time and rake in $50k, the hiring managers will see past you and you'll end up concluding that you didn't get the job because you "don't have connections."

Old 12-24-2013, 05:56 PM

278 posts, read 309,814 times
Wink Yep

Does it have to be a govt job? You have a special affinity or capital south or something ?

dog grooming $35-100k career

Legal secretary in DC at a large top tier firm near Metro Center/Gallery Place=$75k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment