Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:36 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,560,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I think environment fosters sanity.

Exactly, and what have as Americans, as humans been dealing for the last several years, the worst economy since the GD. Of course, there are going to be more people with mental health issues with so much stress and so little money. Add in cut backs to mental health for indigents and you have the perfect storm.

Since the economy is slowly recovering we should start to see a decline in these events.

I did wonder about that at my old employer quite a bit. F500 that fires thousands within days just to save money and offer no severance. No post termination EAP, nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 05:33 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,342,735 times
Yeah, it's always on my mind. That's why I try to extend the olive branch to the quiet person. There have been 2 occasions where I found out that the person was depressed or needed someone to listen to. I'm known as the friendly and funny one.

You never know what's going on in someone else's world, so just be nice to them. If you don't like someone or don't get along with them, try to make up. Is it worth constantly beefing with someone? Not in my opinion!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:16 PM

18,738 posts, read 33,551,365 times
One of my co-workers is full of conspiracy theories and paranoia. He's a very good worker but conversation with him can curdle your blood. Once we admitted a man who'd been sent to the detox by his job because he seemed so angry and they wanted him to get treatment. I told my co-worker, "Bill, if anyone ever mows down this place, I'll bet it's you." He said, "I wouldn't waste the ammo."

Whenever we have a positive conversation about dogs or some common interest, I feel like he'd spare me because we get along.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:45 PM

10,232 posts, read 19,331,483 times
I just make sure I'm "that guy", then I don't have to worry.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,783,423 times
theres a few things that standout about these likable, quiet, good kids or people that kill others, just snap for no reason...many of them face rejection and cant deal with it, whatever it is...ive read plenty of crime stories, murders, mass murders ect. the ones that are quiet are the ones you might have to look out for. was reading one the other day about some chinese dude in canada that ended up decapitating some kid on a bus, he was fired from his ****ty job and he just lost it, sold his one prized possession (laptop), boarded a bus to see his wife half way across the cold country and did the deed.

the other reason is people get so envious captivated by the innocent that they often pray on the innocent, this often involves an image of purity that they never had a chance to obtain in their own lives, and thus seek it out.

all the others were wack jobs...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,596,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I work in an environment full of crazy, bigoted rednecks in a company where every department is out to undermine every other department. These crazies couldn't care less about anyone other than themselves, and they believe it is more important for everyone to have a gun (and be eager to use it) vs. a job, for example. They also love to talk about "when that day comes" when they'll finally get to "kill those people who need killing" - government officials, "communists," and "those people" - and they make no qualms about explaining who "those people" are in painful detail.

The only upside is that most of them are probably too old to be bothered going on a killing spree... but to answer the original question, yes, I do wonder at times when one of them will finally snap.
That sounds just like my dad, and he is too old to be bothered too but you never know I guess...

Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 PM

926 posts, read 1,261,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory patrick View Post
Hmm....I work at a college, and let me say I can tell very quickly if I talk and look into the eyes of a student that is X military, It's the eyes'' I have run into 2 of them that made my hair stand on end....
That right there.

Worked with current and former military. Alot of the younger soldiers are traumatized by the experience in Iraq and Afghanistan. Multiple deployments. When they come back some are receptive to counseling and many never seek help. Filled with anger, frustration, and ALOT of stress.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:44 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,036,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
I was just reading the story of the kid in Massachusetts that allegedly killed his teacher. So often we read about someone committing a horrible act of workplace violence; so often, we read some description of that person as being "Quiet, likeable, friendly, normal, reserved, etc..."

Anybody get the creeps about anyone you sit near now?

I do, the guy sitting behind me. Never talks to anyone. Just sits at his desk and works. Never smiles. Always has headphones one. The only time I hear him is on a telecon. Every other person in our office (hundreds) is engaging or will at least make eye contact (and yes almost all of them are engineers).

But the guy behind me....
Perhaps he's not sociable? That doesn't make him creepy or a potential mass murderer.

Sometimes I wonder if the world would be a better place if people just stopped judging others? People don't have to be bubbly extroverts. Perhaps he's just as creeped out by you as you are of him? Maybe he wears headphones all the time as he suffers from misophonia?

Old 10-25-2013, 06:53 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,070,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
I was just reading the story of the kid in Massachusetts that allegedly killed his teacher. So often we read about someone committing a horrible act of workplace violence; so often, we read some description of that person as being "Quiet, likeable, friendly, normal, reserved, etc..."

Anybody get the creeps about anyone you sit near now?

I do, the guy sitting behind me. Never talks to anyone. Just sits at his desk and works. Never smiles. Always has headphones one. The only time I hear him is on a telecon. Every other person in our office (hundreds) is engaging or will at least make eye contact (and yes almost all of them are engineers).

But the guy behind me....
This is half me. I wear headphones all the time to drown out the gossiping and idiocy that comes out of the coworkers' mouths who sit within earshot and I don't talk for the sake of mindless chatter, only when I have something to say, and to my coworkers who are obnoxious, that's never. I also don't smile at them because they suck.

The coworkers I like, I'm very friendly and social with. We talk about everything, go out to lunch together. I'm not antisocial in the least. I'm selective. When the ones I like aren't around, I just do my work and leave. Sometimes, even whey they are there, I might keep to myself and focus on my work depending on how much I have to get done.

Maybe the guy behind you is a ticking bomb or antisocial or any of the other things that have been mentioned or maybe nothing's wrong with him other than he likes to focus on his work or he just doesn't like you guys or otherwise doesn't like being there very much or maybe he just prefers his solitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Im pretty sure the guy next to me thinks about this all the time.
Hehe. It gives me great pleasure to think coworkers I can't stand may be worried I'm a nutso about to blow. Whatever keeps them out of my face is fine by me.

I had a job once where everyone acted like they were afraid of this guy, even the bosses. He was quiet and kept to himself. I started joking with him one day and people were literally gesturing at me not to talk to him as if I were approaching a rabid dog. It was like the TZone with the little kid who wished people into the corn field.

Their fearful behavior finally turned into shock when the guy would actually strike up conversations with me about things and be really friendly. Their behavior and judgments of him were just so absurd and exaggerated, it got to a point where I finally said to one of them, did they ever consider that he'd act like a "normal" human being if they treated him like one instead of like a leper?

By the time I left that job, he was hands down one of the nicest people there and certainly more desirable to work with than all the nosy vindictive gossiping harpees and pot stirring constantly fighting each other jerks who thought they were better than him just because he minded his own. If you ask me, a lot of coworkers could benefit from taking a page out of his playbook.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:14 AM

8,250 posts, read 7,613,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Um, yeah. Wearing these will get you profiled as a boy-most-likely-to-go-postal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment