Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:20 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,739,459 times

Advertisements

Where I live, if you are willing to teach in more urban areas as opposed to the richer suburban areas, you will be employed quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 06:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,684,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue with these programs are that they are all options that all teachers who cannot get jobs. I am not trying to say this as a cop-out, it's just the reality. Teach for America and JET are looked at as options for those that cannot land teaching jobs in America. They are highly competitive programs.
Yes, these programs are competitive. However, if you don't apply, then you have 0% chance at getting in. At least if you apply, you have a shot. OP could also look at private schools. Fewer applications, lower pay, might mean a higher chance at a job.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:32 PM

375 posts, read 801,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImtheBrilliantest View Post
As a sociology graduate, that 2nd line made me laugh. I'm not sure why I should be hitting the unemployment line because I took classes that were actually fun for me. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just said that out of frustration rather than actually believing that your major should award you priority employment over others.

Right now, you seem to be blaming rich kids, sociology/english majors, and the previous generation for your troubles. You need to stop blaming others. It wasn't them that couldn't get you a job. It wasn't them that chose your major. They didn't force you to do anything and it wasn't them that brought you to this point.

Now, if you want to move forward, I'd recommend the same thing as redroses777. There's a bunch of countries that would love English teachers. From what I understand JET (Japan) and EPIK (S. Korea) are two of the highest paying programs. I believe all you need to qualify for EPIK is a bachelors degree in any field. Not sure about JET. You might want to look into those. While you're there, you can figure out what you want to do, while saving money or traveling.
I like your idea about Japan or South Korea, I had a good friend of mine do that. It was pretty good for him. I might do that. Where did I blame rich kids in my post though. I'll admit I blamed the others (granted I'm responsible for my actions, they just led me there. At the end of the day i realize i'm the one who chose my own actions. I hardly think they forced me to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment