Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,101 times

Advertisements

Can an employer ask for your medical records if you've called out once within the 90 day probation period? I'm thinking they thought my doctors note was fake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 12:44 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
If someone on a probation called in sick, they needed to bring a doctor's note. If they did, all was well and no harm no foul. Depending on the situation, if I could tell someone was getting sick yesterday and then called in today with a cold I would typically let it slide if they weren't habitual about it. But I've had people call in sick and then find out they were in jail, call in sick and post pics on Facebook out on a waverunner or vacationing in another state, etc.... Those are let go on the spot.

I used to have a guy call in sick all the time. He would stop at the eye doctor and get a note that he stopped in every single time. He was also a lazy employee whose uncle owned the company. I had basically demoted him down to sweeping floors and during his performance review he got no raise, which he complained about to the owner. Once I told the owner what he had been doing he was let go from the company on the spot.

It's discretion in some instances, but some companies are that strict. Car trouble isn't a good enough excuse unfortunately.
What if they didn't have health insurance and/or a low paying job with insurance, but a co pay still costs 30 or 50 dollars? You expect them to spend anywhere from 30 to 100 dollars to see a doctor over a cold or stomach flu?

Old 07-06-2016, 04:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
What if they didn't have health insurance and/or a low paying job with insurance, but a co pay still costs 30 or 50 dollars? You expect them to spend anywhere from 30 to 100 dollars to see a doctor over a cold or stomach flu?

Yes. If the company states they need a dr's note, then they need a dr's note. If they can't afford to go to the doctor, they can go the Health Dept or free clinic.

It amazes me how ppl ***** about a co pay but have no problem buying Starbucks, smokes and beer on a weekly/daily basis. Not implying this is you, or even the OP, but this is what I see in our organization and just boggles my mind that people actually value their addictions over their health/job.

A question was asked about medical records, no your employer can't ask to see your medical records, but can ask for a note from the doctor and they can fire you for missing too much work...even if you are truly sick.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:45 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post

If they are on probation (or a habitual offender) then absolutely. No note = no job. You can go to a free clinic if healthcare costs are an issue. It isn't that difficult. Many clinics have a sliding scale where you pay what you can. You just have to make it known that you need help paying for it.

People get sick..... and I get that. But when you're brand new in a job you have to do what you can to prove that you're reliable. A doctor's note tells me that you really were sick and needed that time (that you haven't yet earned) off.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:40 PM

56 posts, read 46,982 times
Meh, I don't see a doctor when I am sick unless the situation is dire. A flu would keep me from working, but I stay in bed until I am better. On another note, I've called in sick twice in a year at my job, so no note is required

Old 07-06-2016, 02:23 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow Skies View Post
Meh, I don't see a doctor when I am sick unless the situation is dire. A flu would keep me from working, but I stay in bed until I am better. On another note, I've called in sick twice in a year at my job, so no note is required

I guess it depends on the company. In that situation, if you're off probation and obviously not a habitual abuser of sick leave then it's probably overlooked.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:22 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
The last job I had back in 2009 fired me even though I went to work on time, had perfect attendance, and even worked when I was very sick. They had lied to me and told me if I did a good job that I'd be kept. I was a single parent and needed the job really bad, so I made sure I worked even when I was very ill.

They kept complimenting me on my work and would make remarks about how they wanted to keep me the entire time I was there. I was filled with confidence that I was going to be kept. I had been so happy that someone might finally want me. Then, they called me into the office and fired me, but they lied to me when they fired me too. They claimed there was no spot available but as soon as one opened up I would be brought back in and that they wanted me there. I had been so stupid and believed their lies so much that I took their management test just weeks before I was fired and passed with high scores.

I went to job hunting immediately day after Christmas (was fired day before Christmas) and places would be willing to hire me until they called the previous job and inquired about me. After couple months of this I finally went back to previous employer and asked what they were telling about me and was told that they never intended to keep me in the first place. They refused to tell me what they were telling potential employers. So, I started leaving them off the applications which left an extreme employment gap of years. Of course employers won't hire you with a huge employment gap, so I never even received a job interview after that. I haven't been offered a job since.

Hindsight I would've called in sick and been in bed sleeping when I was sick instead of slaving away for them two-faced liars with 102+ fever. I also wish I hadn't been such a hard worker. I had worked for them so hard that I would finish all the tasks in my department and be helping others in their departments too. I'd stop and help customers in other departments when the ones in that department were just AWOL. I'd basically work the whole store and do the work of several people and in return I was treated like garbage. Never again.

Now I've accepted that no one would ever hire and keep me with my multiple disabilities and am on disability. I kept looking for a long time and even went back to college for the financial aid while I was looking so that I would have money to take care of my child. Employers just didn't want me. I finally had to accept after so many years that I was just too worthless for employment.

I also learned that employers will lie to your face without a flicker of it bothering their conscience and you can never trust any of them. So, I figure I am better off without employment anyway. Only way I could cope. I never thought my life would end up like this when I was young. And I did everything right. I never used drugs. I went to college. I made dean's list. I even made president's list. I ended up graduating with a master's degree in a field with lots of employment. No one wanted me, not even at McDonald's. I finally had to accept how useless I am. Not everyone could've been wrong.

If an employer wants to keep you then the employer will keep you even if you get sick and call in sick. If the employer wants to get rid of you then he'll use any excuse to fire you anyway. I've never been fired for cause in my life. It was always vague and out of the blue. Had they appreciated my efforts and valued me as an employee then I would've been kept, but they didn't even value me enough as a human being to even be honest. So, if you're really sick to the point where you should be in bed resting then you should do that.

Ever get back on your feet? Sorry to read your story!!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:14 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,577,787 times
in the mid-90's there was a silent cartoon short on mtv's liquid television that had a cartoon dog working a desk job. and the person in the next desk over drops a pencil and the boss comes out and kicks him out (so the dog starts working harder)... then someone sneezes and gets kicked out (which causes the dog to work even harder)... so eventually the only one left is the dog which is stressing themself out (making sure they dont knock anything over/holding in sneezes) to not **** off the boss in any way.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:39 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Depends on the job and pay. If I work in a call center, you better show up, or you'll be fired in a new york minute. If you work at walmart, the same applies. If you work as a programmer, you could probably work from home. If you work in finance, like a day trader, you better show up. Even if you were dying of stage 3 cancer, you better show up.
Wow what else do you do? Make your employees work 60 hours a week and tied them to a chain on their desk. You sound like an boss I would never work for.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:52 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I guess it depends on the company. In that situation, if you're off probation and obviously not a habitual abuser of sick leave then it's probably overlooked.
I don't know I don't want other people getting me sick at work. Sick days are offered at the job for a reason. They are DAYS you take off IF YOU ARE SICK. Other wise don't offer them. Hire Robots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment