Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 7,950 times

Advertisements

I'm really hoping I get to stay hired at my new job. I went in for the first half of orientation on Saturday. Which was yesterday. Today I was supposed to go to day two of orientation but my stomach and anxiety were so bad I nearly went to the ER. I couldn't breathe, think or sleep. It's only day 2 for me and my hr manager sounded less than thrilled that I was attempting to reschedule my day two of orientation. I really don't feel I should be fired over a mental and physical health issue. I will be really sad if my body causes me to lose something else or someone else. So to all of you unsympathetic employers, we do get sick. We can get sick overnight just like you can. I can understand firing someone if that someone attempts to call in every weekend but in my situation, I don't think it would be fair to be let go before they even seen me work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 06:14 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,187,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattytatts View Post
I'm really hoping I get to stay hired at my new job. I went in for the first half of orientation on Saturday. Which was yesterday. Today I was supposed to go to day two of orientation but my stomach and anxiety were so bad I nearly went to the ER. I couldn't breathe, think or sleep. It's only day 2 for me and my hr manager sounded less than thrilled that I was attempting to reschedule my day two of orientation. I really don't feel I should be fired over a mental and physical health issue. I will be really sad if my body causes me to lose something else or someone else. So to all of you unsympathetic employers, we do get sick. We can get sick overnight just like you can. I can understand firing someone if that someone attempts to call in every weekend but in my situation, I don't think it would be fair to be let go before they even seen me work.
You need to see a medical professional and get a handle on your stress and anxiety. Starting a new job is stressful, but shouldn't be so much so that you have to call out sick on your second day. And you were only in training. What do you think will happen if you have a bad day on the job?

The company is less than thrilled that you called out sick because they are wondering if this will be a pattern. You don't know each other yet, so you're going to have to do your best everyday to prove you're not going to call out or be a mediocre employee.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:49 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
No such thing as 90 day probation unless you're job can be easily replaced. I've known people who are out sick for more than 2-3 days and nothing ever happened. It all depends on whether you are high value employee or not.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:29 AM

147 posts, read 316,102 times
I ended up missing an entire week of work due to pneumonia. Started a job up in Oregon and flew back one weekend to grab a few last things from our house and drive from Southern California to Oregon with my wife and 2 cats. Ended up in the emergency room and the doctor advised that I wait several days before trying to make the trip. I had appropriate documentation and my boss worked with me. Most of my time was unpaid but that's what happens. I was thankful that they kept me.

Most employers do know that "stuff happens" and will work with people, especially if they have documentation. At my present employer, you get 24 hours of unpaid leave during your 90 day probation. Exceed it and you may very well be terminated. However, they have worked with people who do have sufficient documentation for medical issues.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:34 AM

54 posts, read 53,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
You need to see a medical professional and get a handle on your stress and anxiety. Starting a new job is stressful, but shouldn't be so much so that you have to call out sick on your second day. And you were only in training. What do you think will happen if you have a bad day on the job?

The company is less than thrilled that you called out sick because they are wondering if this will be a pattern. You don't know each other yet, so you're going to have to do your best everyday to prove you're not going to call out or be a mediocre employee.
Personally I Never have been fired for calling out or calling in sick if im sick THEN IM SICK period. I could care less about any one with the "business must go on" mentality. People like that i hope their business gets closed down or they get fired and never hire again to not wrongfully fired employees for dumb reasons. I also a reasonaly hard working employee as most of the job gets 100 percent by me and my team

I rarely get sick so when i call in sick my people understand even when i was on a probation period and by sick i mean getting other people sick or just disable and unable to work. ( broken bone, paralyzed leg, heart attack, a comibincation of extreme body pain and fever)

If someones wants to fire missing just for missing ONE Day
good riddance i be happy to let someone else work for a miserable company like that
No thanks

Now if its a repeted take advantage of pattern and keep calling in sick when they are not then thats a different story

Old 10-26-2015, 02:34 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
My husband, who rarely gets sick, got hired into a job he was happy to have, and then a couple of weeks later he was knocked out for two days with a horrid flu bug. He got fired I guess he could have forced himself to work and make everyone else around him sick, but he wouldn't have been very productive, anyway.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:53 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattytatts View Post

It depends on where you work and well you communicated your 'illness' to your new boss.

Orientation isn't scheduled around you; you are scheduled around orientation. If you were that 'sick' ( I use that term lightly, as you were NOT ill) and couldn't deal with going to orientation, how are you doing to deal with going to work everyday? You should've gone to the ER yesterday...it gives 'credit' to your 'I'm ill' story.

This is not a way to start off a new job and quite frankly, I don't see you lasting unless you get some professional help. They won't fire you over a mental condition, they will fire you over a performance and/or attendance issue.

Good luck.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:19 AM

370 posts, read 504,515 times
My current job a coworker is constantly out..he made it to past his 90 day but still calls out. He wrote me on FB yesterday and said his wife left him last night...so I'm guessing he will be out all week. I think once there is a trend..it will continue. I have awful managers so they don't say anything until one day you're fired.
Another woman had back pain-gone for a week-under her 90 day. She is still there. I have worked at other places...you just don't call out. Fear mongering.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:10 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,187,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Oak View Post
Personally I Never have been fired for calling out or calling in sick if im sick THEN IM SICK period. I could care less about any one with the "business must go on" mentality. People like that i hope their business gets closed down or they get fired and never hire again to not wrongfully fired employees for dumb reasons. I also a reasonaly hard working employee as most of the job gets 100 percent by me and my team

I rarely get sick so when i call in sick my people understand even when i was on a probation period and by sick i mean getting other people sick or just disable and unable to work. ( broken bone, paralyzed leg, heart attack, a comibincation of extreme body pain and fever)

If someones wants to fire missing just for missing ONE Day
good riddance i be happy to let someone else work for a miserable company like that
No thanks

Now if its a repeted take advantage of pattern and keep calling in sick when they are not then thats a different story
I agree, if you're sick, stay home. I've even sent people home who showed up sick because I didn't need them getting everyone else sick. However, the post I responded to is an entirely different situation. The poster said she had an anxiety attack that was so bad she nearly went to the ER. Further, this was the first day of the job and she called out sick the second day due to anxiety. She also didn't know for sure she would get fired.

If training was that stressful, she either has an anxiety problem that needs medical attention, or she realized after the first day of training she's in way over her head- although she did indicate she wants to keep the job. I just don't see this getting better as things move forward, in fact it looks like the beginning of a trend that will only deteriorate into a firing if she can't get a handle on her anxiety.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:36 PM

8,215 posts, read 3,481,358 times
The last job I had back in 2009 fired me even though I went to work on time, had perfect attendance, and even worked when I was very sick. They had lied to me and told me if I did a good job that I'd be kept. I was a single parent and needed the job really bad, so I made sure I worked even when I was very ill.

They kept complimenting me on my work and would make remarks about how they wanted to keep me the entire time I was there. I was filled with confidence that I was going to be kept. I had been so happy that someone might finally want me. Then, they called me into the office and fired me, but they lied to me when they fired me too. They claimed there was no spot available but as soon as one opened up I would be brought back in and that they wanted me there. I had been so stupid and believed their lies so much that I took their management test just weeks before I was fired and passed with high scores.

I went to job hunting immediately day after Christmas (was fired day before Christmas) and places would be willing to hire me until they called the previous job and inquired about me. After couple months of this I finally went back to previous employer and asked what they were telling about me and was told that they never intended to keep me in the first place. They refused to tell me what they were telling potential employers. So, I started leaving them off the applications which left an extreme employment gap of years. Of course employers won't hire you with a huge employment gap, so I never even received a job interview after that. I haven't been offered a job since.

Hindsight I would've called in sick and been in bed sleeping when I was sick instead of slaving away for them two-faced liars with 102+ fever. I also wish I hadn't been such a hard worker. I had worked for them so hard that I would finish all the tasks in my department and be helping others in their departments too. I'd stop and help customers in other departments when the ones in that department were just AWOL. I'd basically work the whole store and do the work of several people and in return I was treated like garbage. Never again.

Now I've accepted that no one would ever hire and keep me with my multiple disabilities and am on disability. I kept looking for a long time and even went back to college for the financial aid while I was looking so that I would have money to take care of my child. Employers just didn't want me. I finally had to accept after so many years that I was just too worthless for employment.

I also learned that employers will lie to your face without a flicker of it bothering their conscience and you can never trust any of them. So, I figure I am better off without employment anyway. Only way I could cope. I never thought my life would end up like this when I was young. And I did everything right. I never used drugs. I went to college. I made dean's list. I even made president's list. I ended up graduating with a master's degree in a field with lots of employment. No one wanted me, not even at McDonald's. I finally had to accept how useless I am. Not everyone could've been wrong.

If an employer wants to keep you then the employer will keep you even if you get sick and call in sick. If the employer wants to get rid of you then he'll use any excuse to fire you anyway. I've never been fired for cause in my life. It was always vague and out of the blue. Had they appreciated my efforts and valued me as an employee then I would've been kept, but they didn't even value me enough as a human being to even be honest. So, if you're really sick to the point where you should be in bed resting then you should do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment