Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 03:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Unfortunately, we live in a culture where good jobs are obtained based upon your personal acquaintances rather than your ability to do a good job. If you are adamant upon getting a job in marketing, you need to start making the right kinds of friends and acquaintances who will introduce you into the decision makers in that field.
20yrs, I've heard you post this same comment in multiple threads. I'm sorry you believe this but it's not the truth.

Sure, it helps to have an "in" at a potential employers but it's not required. Do you really believe millions of people get jobs solely based on relationships? I've never known anyone at any of the job's I've gotten.

Could you be using this as an excuse in your own life?

And no, that's not being mean or judgmental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 03:28 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
I have a degree in history and someone on this site told me that my degree was useless..it sucks, but that's what they said.
That's because many posters on this site are narcissistic pieces of s**t who take pleasure in making people feel bad about the decisions they've made in life (because it makes them feel better about themselves).

Don't listen to those idiots. The best thing one can do to improve their life is get off a worthless waste of time social media site like this one and put that extra time and effort into making yourself better.

For starters, this is a really cool site:

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Old 10-22-2013, 03:32 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
20yrs, I've heard you post this same comment in multiple threads. I'm sorry you believe this but it's not the truth.

Sure, it helps to have an "in" at a potential employers but it's not required. Do you really believe millions of people get jobs solely based on relationships? I've never known anyone at any of the job's I've gotten.

Could you be using this as an excuse in your own life?

And no, that's not being mean or judgmental.
I've never gotten a job based on someone I knew. As a matter of fact, any time I've been referenced by an internal employee for a particular job, I've had a 0% success rate at getting the job. All the jobs I've had have been achieved with no help from anyone else.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:38 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
That's because many posters on this site are narcissistic pieces of s**t who take pleasure in making people feel bad about the decisions they've made in life (because it makes them feel better about themselves).

Don't listen to those idiots. The best thing one can do to improve their life is get off a worthless waste of time social media site like this one and put that extra time and effort into making yourself better.

For starters, this is a really cool site:

https://www.khanacademy.org/
I totally agree, in fact, I called him out on it, it was in the illegal immigrants forum..so that right there should tell you something. I like what I studied and I am going for my masters now in public administration, this degree can be parlayed into business jobs as well.

Thanks for the advice..I won't

Ill check out that khanacademy as well.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:38 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,959 times
people that know you don't want the competition. someone I know for years pretends to help me every time I have been unemployed for short periods in my life. He swears he calls his contact at the company and talks about me and forwards my resume. Of course I never as much as get an interview so I stopped asking a long time ago. Same thing with internal employees. They pretend they're helping. Not in their best interest.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:54 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
I have tried networking with family and friends, but none of them agree that I should work in marketing because they think I am too introverted and not outgoing enough to do so. They say they will help me, but they don't . I have an aunt who works in PR (a closely related field ) but she thinks marketing is not a good fit for me, so she won't help me.
You have plenty of suggestions from others here, but I wanted to address this section above. Just because they are your family doesn't mean they have to recommend you for open jobs in their field/companies. They are trying to help you - by suggesting you branch out. They can't network and job search for you.

If my company has an open position, I will only tell my supervisors about people that I think would do an exceptional job. If the person turns out to be a flop, it looks bad for me, too. Your aunt shouldn't put her reputation on the line for you if she genuinely doesn't think you're a fit for the field. Listen to her - she's IN the field, she would know what kind of people/skills are suited to the work. Perhaps instead you should be asking your aunt and family what kinds of positions/jobs they think you would be good at or have the skills for. It's not that you have to go into those areas, but use it as an exercise to consider how other people see you (it might just be how potential employers are seeing you).

Old 10-22-2013, 04:07 PM

107 posts, read 181,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Boy you got that right. It's sad, everyone says something like "figure out your target company and then get a job as a vice president there! I did this and was made CEO the next month, then decided to retire and sail my yacht around the world! I'd offer more but it's time for another gourmet meal produced by my personal chef!"

It's all so easy. Jeez, if I can do it, so can you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNfGyIW7aHM

Old 10-22-2013, 04:16 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,735,718 times
Good News For Millenials: A Big Company Might Hire You

Quote:
The “skills gap” hiring managers often talk about is very real: The strongest demand is for young workers with a mathematical, engineering or science background, yet most college students these days still major in softer fields such as psychology, education, history, English or sociology. To fill such gaps, young workers can round out their college curriculum with more quantitative courses in analytics, statistics, or mathematical fields.
The rest can be viewed here: Good News For Millennials: A Big Company Might Actually Hire You | Daily Ticker - Yahoo Finance

Old 10-22-2013, 04:34 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
I love this forum - first post turns the thread political, and less than a page in people are blasting the Op as being lazy and clearly "not exploring his options."

FACTS: The Housing Bubble (which masked decades of job loss with easy credit) peaked in 2006 and the system crashed in 2008, resulting in the Bail-outs. It it took us decades of bad policy - policies that beat-down the working class and cost us jobs - to get us to where we are today. During that time, both parties have controlled all branches of government in every possible mix, and yet nothing has changed. Anyone who truly believes the economic collapse began on January 20, 2008 is kidding themselves, and I pity those who think electing "their team" will change anything.

SUGGESTIONS:

- Going back to school is probably NOT the answer. More degrees won't get you much in the way of jobs, and the days of a higher degree equally a good job are gone, probably forever. So, this could turn into an expensive investment that produces "overqualified" as the end result

- Get experience that's relevant. Do anything you can to get experience, even if it is volunteer work. I fully understand the need to pay the bills, but in the days of automated resume filters and cold, heartless hiring managers, all they care about is checking boxes. You have 1 box checked - the degree - but you need more than that.

- Look into small local companies. Huge companies can afford to get rid of their marketing teams. If Coke fired all their marketing people tomorrow, it would take years to undo their market share since the Coke brand is engraved in the minds of everyone in the nation and many people the world over. A small, local business, however is an unknown. They have no image yet and thus need a marketing person. A place like that which is in growth mode might be willing to take a chance on a newbie who lacks much experience - this assumes, of course, that they have a senior person directing the efforts. So, while the pay probably won't be impressive and it may just be a form of internship, it might lead to something more.

An earlier poster said something about marketing with an apartment complex. That's a good idea - rentals are up, supposedly, and is an unexplored area that most marketing majors probably don't even consider. Similar ideas could be said of hotel chains, etc.

I hope this advise helped. Don't listen to the muck-throwers around here who like to tar and feather the unemployed and underemployed. They either don't understand the current reality of the economy or simply choose not to understand it since doing so would conflict with certain world views they hold.

Good luck.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
That's a little rough, don't ya think?

The guy's been in the market for 6 years. I think he's got a right to complain if he hasn't found something in that time.

Some degrees are just degrees, others lead to specific careers.
That's how she is. I think she gets off on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment