Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 12:21 AM

364 posts, read 721,190 times

Advertisements

I only skimmed through a few pages of this thread, but it is really unfortunate to hear people clamoring about how their degree was "a waste of time." If you obtained a degree from a reputable and accredited institution, then it is not a waste of time.

As others have probably mentioned I'm sure, too often students get caught up in the idea that getting a college degree will grant them a seat on the train to landing a good job; all while they neglect the grunt work of networking and internships. It is also troubling many colleges do not place more emphasis on the importance of interning and networking.

I felt bad for some of the people I graduated with that had virtually no professional connections and did zero internships because many of them did not realize until near graduation of what a bad situation they were in after seeing other students who had jobs lined up upon graduation through connections and internships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 12:26 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,584,906 times
Tekkie if I could ask-Are you referring to U of M ? Because I have read and been told it's in the to bracket for public univ.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:36 AM

30,147 posts, read 25,271,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Because HS is a general education. There aren't many HS grads with the depth of knowledge or experience to walk into an engineering position. That's why people go to college, to get a specialized education in the field of their choice.

There is a predisposition towards engineering. Some have it. Other don't, and that doesn't change no matter how many college lectures you sit through. That's what I was alluding to when I said "engineering minds".

Old 10-25-2013, 12:45 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,112,226 times
To try and argue that a 'good' program should take up all of your time is just silly. Yes, it should take up a fraction of your time, but there's 24 hours in a day, you're awake for at least 16 of them and you cannot tell me you need all 16 of them for study. Absolute rubbish. Surely it has nothing to do with time management.
Pareto principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-25-2013, 05:33 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,300,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Having gone to both a 3rd tier commuter school and a 1st tier traditional school, I can attest to the fact that the curriculum and standards are very different for each. That said, it can be very difficult maintaining a full-time work schedule while simultaneously attending a top tier school full-time.

The 3rd tier commuter school's curriculum and standards were built to accommodate the full-time worker. Rules were more flexible and policies were more lax. The quality of work expected was average at best. And I'd say about 50% of the undergrad population appeared to be there because they thought it was necessary rite of passage into the real world. Working full-time and going to school for a minimum full-time schedule (12 credit hours typically) was easily doable. I did it for two years straight.

At the first tier school, it was pretty much impossible to maintain a full-time work schedule. The requirements were far more stringent, the class schedules were not built with full-time employees in mind, and the quality of work expected was much higher. Also, the student body was generally much more serious about the work they were doing and were likely in the top 10% of their respective HS classes. These people were the cream of the crop. For the majority of them, school was their only business. I still managed to pull off approximately 30 hours a week at a part-time job, but it was very tough to do.
Yea, you have good experience in both scenarios. I'll also wager that major plays a role as well. If you're a science major, say chem, your day is going to be full with course work because two labs per semester will stack the hours. The evenings are taken up with homework. Weekends can allow regular work, although for me that was the time to focus on exams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
To try and argue that a 'good' program should take up all of your time is just silly. Yes, it should take up a fraction of your time, but there's 24 hours in a day, you're awake for at least 16 of them and you cannot tell me you need all 16 of them for study. Absolute rubbish. Surely it has nothing to do with time management.
Pareto principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What was your major? People who do not have to primarily focus on their academics while in school are typically in mediocre schools, in mediocre programs, or both. My second major was psych. Granted, far easier than chem and it certainly did not require near the same time commitment, but I expected no less than a 4.0 in that major. That coupled with my primary, volunteer work that gave relevant experience (science museum, work with local school districts, etc), and undergraduate research and my plate was full. So, perhaps it's more of a matter of where a student wants to spend their time, and on what, while in college then time mgt issues.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,779,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Yea, you have good experience in both scenarios. I'll also wager that major plays a role as well. If you're a science major, say chem, your day is going to be full with course work because two labs per semester will stack the hours. The evenings are taken up with homework. Weekends can allow regular work, although for me that was the time to focus on exams.

What was your major? People who do not have to primarily focus on their academics while in school are typically in mediocre schools, in mediocre programs, or both. My second major was psych. Granted, far easier than chem and it certainly did not require near the same time commitment, but I expected no less than a 4.0 in that major. That coupled with my primary, volunteer work that gave relevant experience (science museum, work with local school districts, etc), and undergraduate research and my plate was full. So, perhaps it's more of a matter of where a student wants to spend their time, and on what, while in college then time mgt issues.
Just because you struggled does not mean then we all did, while I did not go to a top rated school, I went to a school that is on the 2nd tier in the state I live in, and unlike many people I only had to study about 15 hours a week, add in the 12 hours or so a week in class, and combine that with the 40 hours a week I worked, and it was still less than I worked when I owned my own business and was working 14 hours a day 6 days a week.

sure my social life suffered, but I consciously choose to return to school as a working adult, and had real life experience actually working my butt off, school and menial full time jobs were actually a welcome break from real hard work.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Just because you struggled does not mean then we all did, while I did not go to a top rated school, I went to a school that is on the 2nd tier in the state I live in, and unlike many people I only had to study about 15 hours a week, add in the 12 hours or so a week in class, and combine that with the 40 hours a week I worked, and it was still less than I worked when I owned my own business and was working 14 hours a day 6 days a week.

sure my social life suffered, but I consciously choose to return to school as a working adult, and had real life experience actually working my butt off, school and menial full time jobs were actually a welcome break from real hard work.
I did very well and published as an undergrad. It wasn't about struggle, but my commitment to my academic career. Grad school was similarly succesful as my subsequent career. It's all about what we're willing to, and can, invest in ourselves.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:20 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,112,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Pretty much typical of most competent people who don't slave away for inflated grades. 20% effort for 80% reward and not much need for more than that.

Spending the additional 80% effort for diminished returns is good for those who need to

Old 10-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Pretty much typical of most competent people who don't slave away for inflated grades. 20% effort for 80% reward and not much need for more than that.

Spending the additional 80% effort for diminished returns is good for those who need to
What do you consider dismished returns? I think outcome is a good place to start when considering the returns between those who dedicate 100% to their endeavors and those who dedicate 20%.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:31 PM

211 posts, read 531,032 times
OP, what have you done, outside of a marketing degree, that's relevant to marketing? Have you done internships?

If you want to be able to get into marketing, start targeting smaller agencies. There's a good chunk of marketing jobs on CL. Go to networking events for people in marketing. If you wanna be unique, when you apply for a job, write a marketing proposal for them, like you did for your college classes, and submit it with your resume and cover letter. Show them that you have some sort of idea how marketing works and can hit the ground running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment