Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:39 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,647 times

Advertisements

What kind of job opportunities are available for someone with a G.E.D., not much work history, lots of eagerness to work and being willing to take any job? What if it was impossible to get any low skill job, what if nobody is interested in letting you be a helper as an apprentice of a trade (nobody interested in free work for training), even after filling out mountains of applications, creating different resumes and is there anywhere I could go in america that will have work available in my location, that isn't 50 miles away? I'm just about ready to start crawling on the floor of a place, and ask them to hire me. There's got to be one company in america that will accept a GED, at least for the time being, until I am in the right position to further my education.

Something just doesn't seem right in my case, I'm willing to work the lowest job I could get and I get nothing but dead ends (places say they will interview me, call me, and never do, etc.).

Can I put ads in the newspaper, that I'm looking for work?

Homeless man doesn't want money, just a chance | ksl.com

Can I do something like this, but ask for an apprenticeship? I thought it would be easy to become a helper.

I've been researching different states, and where would be best for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,271,144 times
If that link is you, handing out resumes by the side of the road is not how you get a job.

Apprenticeships are very competitive.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,470 times
Can you research community college programs where you could possibly qualify for pell grants or something?

If so, I'd look into learning a trade like welding or something.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If that link is you, handing out resumes by the side of the road is not how you get a job.

Apprenticeships are very competitive.
The only reason I asked is because some people told me I could easily become a helper somewhere. I'm willing to do it for free if it's promising. That's not me BTW. Just something I found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Can you research community college programs where you could possibly qualify for pell grants or something?

If so, I'd look into learning a trade like welding or something.
There's only 1 program I'm really interested in (CNC), but it's not covered by any kind of aid.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:28 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,470 times
A pell grant is usually given in terms of financial needs, not necessarily by program. I'd just research the community college programs for once that you might like that would be valuable.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:37 AM

This is a non-credit program at a community college, so it doesn't qualify for any kind of aid period. Why, I'm not sure.

Machine Tool/Operator – Northern Essex Community College
http://www.necc.mass.edu/academics/c...oncredit-faqs/
Are there scholarships, payment plans or any type of financial aid?

Noncredit courses are not eligible for financial aid or scholarships. Some banks do provide private loans for training programs. With few exceptions, payment plans are not available.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
1. Contact your state employment office and see if they have any funds for training. My state had $1500 grants. Each state is different. You may have to wait until the beginning of the year when the grant pool refreshes.

2. Sign up for a FOR CREDIT program to qualify for the free Pell Grant.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:34 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
What kind of job opportunities are available for someone with a G.E.D., not much work history,
lots of eagerness to work and being willing to take any job?
Can you lift and carry 50lbs? Read a tape measure? Add/subtract fractions in your head?

Quote:
Can I do something like this, but ask for an apprenticeship?
I thought it would be easy to become a helper.
Start right in your own neighborhood.
Look for the trucks with ladders and tools but no name on it.

Next up is being at the supply house at 6:30 AM
Have your lunch packed and whatever tools you own in the car.

Next up is asking for a job AT the supply house.
Work the warehouse, learn the parts, what goes with what and why.
Be available for a Saturday or evening with one of the customers.

Once you have some actual skill the bigger/better shops will become available.
They'll be set up with ABC apprenticeship programs. http://www.abc.org/

Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
What kind of job opportunities are available for someone with a G.E.D., not much work history, lots of eagerness to work and being willing to take any job? What if it was impossible to get any low skill job, what if nobody is interested in letting you be a helper as an apprentice of a trade (nobody interested in free work for training), even after filling out mountains of applications, creating different resumes and is there anywhere I could go in america that will have work available in my location, that isn't 50 miles away? I'm just about ready to start crawling on the floor of a place, and ask them to hire me. There's got to be one company in america that will accept a GED, at least for the time being, until I am in the right position to further my education.

Something just doesn't seem right in my case, I'm willing to work the lowest job I could get and I get nothing but dead ends (places say they will interview me, call me, and never do, etc.).

Can I put ads in the newspaper, that I'm looking for work?

Homeless man doesn't want money, just a chance | ksl.com

Can I do something like this, but ask for an apprenticeship? I thought it would be easy to become a helper.

I've been researching different states, and where would be best for me.
Okay, I told you to go to Labor Ready and another poster even found one near you with a bus route and everything. What happened with that?

You could also sign up with a direct sales company like Cutco or Avon. It is work. You never know you might get lucky and sell stuff. Just put your card out there and try.

There is MTurk which pays crap, but it is income above 0 which is better than nothing.

You could try selling on Ebay. Again, you could get lucky and make decent money. What about work at home jobs? Check out Work at Home Jobs: Free Legitimate Work From Home Job Opportunities. There are customer service type jobs that you can do from home.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 PM

I have the money to buy a car, but I need a job in order to pay for the insurance. Once I have at least $2,000 I can pay off the insurance for a year, and then the following year it will go down. That leaves me a year to look all over the state to find a job. In that scenario, I could probably find several jobs! If I only had it. Until then, my only choice is to walk, take the bus, or ride a bike (if I can find one worth buying).

I've actually gotten some job/interview offers ever since I've been placing ads on craigslist begging for a job. Apparently I am making myself noticed by doing this! But alot of them are too far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment