Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:38 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,344,229 times

Advertisements

Work at most energy / oil & gas / utility companies tends to be pretty stable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 11:42 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,424,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Not terribly worried about an unskilled worker competing for skilled jobs.
Look up L1 and H1B visas then, smarty. That's how they get the skilled 3rd worlders to come here and work for less.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:43 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,424,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Can I suggest a better question. Where are jobs stable in what part of the world? C and I but $3 hour

Does anyone remember the VZ tech support guy that outsourced himself and pocketed the difference. Now that's clever. D bag maneuver though.

Outsourced: Employee Sends Own Job To China; Surfs Web : The Two-Way : NPR
I just saw a contract for an independent contractor software developer and it specifically prohibited that move in no uncertain language. The companies are onto that one now.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:52 PM

27,340 posts, read 44,483,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I've mostly been talking to people in IT, Computer Programming, and Project Management, (I'm personally leaning towards Project Management) and these were all fields I thought were booming, but the responses I've gotten back were anything but, employees describing it as slow and shaky, or nearly impossible to find work even with a large amount of job postings.
Thoughts? What well paying careers are most stable these days?
Not surprising since a large number of people have been going into those fields which isn't bottomless in terms of job openings. If you can swing a different line of work consider an Allied Health career, many of the jobs in that field are in high demand and will continue that way due to limited educational opportunities and an aging Baby-Boomer population that will require medical care as well as retirement vacancies from those occupations too. Check out diagnostic fields such as Medical Sonography, Cardiovascular Technology, Radiation Therapy and Nuclear Medicine Technology. All are achievable through Two-Year Associate's Degree Programs and have average starting pay around 60K-75K in most areas. Even less specialized fields such as Radiologic Technology and Respiratory Therapy have starting salaries in the 55K range, with significant pay bumps for advanced certification (CT Scan or MRI in Radiologic Techmology and NeoNatal Care in Respiratory Therapy for example) which is achievable through weekend advanced coursework lasting as little as a few months. The key is attending nationally accredited schools and attaining national certification (a standardized test) after graduation. Layoffs are unheard of in these fields by the way.

Nuclear Medicine Technologists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Diagnostic Medical Sonographers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians and Vascular Technologists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Radiologic Technologists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Respiratory Therapists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Radiation Therapists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Old 10-20-2013, 02:23 PM

427 posts, read 952,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Look up L1 and H1B visas then, smarty. That's how they get the skilled 3rd worlders to come here and work for less.
Still not worried, actually I have a few of them in my company.

I said I wasn't worried about unskilled workers. Try to pay attention.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:33 PM

96 posts, read 206,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not surprising since a large number of people have been going into those fields which isn't bottomless in terms of job openings. If you can swing a different line of work consider an Allied Health career, many of the jobs in that field are in high demand and will continue that way due to limited educational opportunities and an aging Baby-Boomer population that will require medical care as well as retirement vacancies from those occupations too. Check out diagnostic fields such as Medical Sonography, Cardiovascular Technology, Radiation Therapy and Nuclear Medicine Technology. All are achievable through Two-Year Associate's Degree Programs and have average starting pay around 60K-75K in most areas. Even less specialized fields such as Radiologic Technology and Respiratory Therapy have starting salaries in the 55K range, with significant pay bumps for advanced certification (CT Scan or MRI in Radiologic Techmology and NeoNatal Care in Respiratory Therapy for example) which is achievable through weekend advanced coursework lasting as little as a few months. The key is attending nationally accredited schools and attaining national certification (a standardized test) after graduation. Layoffs are unheard of in these fields by the way.

Nuclear Medicine Technologists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Diagnostic Medical Sonographers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians and Vascular Technologists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Radiologic Technologists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Respiratory Therapists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Radiation Therapists : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

I've actually been doing a lot of research in most of the fields you listed. If you Google "Rad techs over saturated" Or insert whichever field, you'll come across forums where many people in the field claim over saturation. Seems a lot of people are running to these careers because of the short education requirements and decent salary.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:04 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,106,332 times
Medical billing and coding is a good thing to get into, but it doesn't pay very well right off the bat. Once you're more experienced you can make better money. They just switched from ICD-9 to ICD-10 and a lot of the old timers didn't want to learn ICD-10 since it's so different, so a lot of insurance companies and medical offices and the like are scrambling to find coders that know ICD-10. Most want you to know billing and EHR/EMR, too.

Whatever you do, do not go into medical transcription work as that is going the way of the dodo bird.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:30 PM

4,862 posts, read 8,003,932 times
Learn to sell and your never unemployed. Someone is always looking for good sales people. Then of course there's heating and air in places like Las Vegas or Arizona not to also mention plumbing. Yet the best solution is to marry a rich widow or widower.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:57 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,815,684 times
Garbage collector comes to mind.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:08 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,400,086 times
Plumber, health care provider, military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment