Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 AM

59 posts, read 136,770 times

Advertisements

I will be finishing a BS in construction management this December. I have hands on construction experience as well as experience as an architectural drafter and estimator. I am also bilingual English/Spanish. I thought I would have better job opportunities with my background. I live in a city with very little construction work and have had no luck applying for dozens of out of state positions. What is the best way to find an out of state position? Should I lie and use a relatives address? Which cities would you think I have the most luck in? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 12:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,984 posts, read 82,160,177 times
Here in the Seattle area that became a very popular and lucrative career when there was a building boom up until about 2007, when you could hardly count the number of big yellow construction cranes in Seattle and in Bellevue. Unfortunately then most were laid off and had to go into other kinds of work to survive. While construction has resumed, not in the kind of numbers that we saw before. There are major projects going on such as the viaduct replacement tunnel, light rail expansion, and seawall replacement but they are underway and have probably already filled their needs for staffing. Being out of state will make a difference, because I would expect that you will be competing with more experienced people that are local wherever you go. Using a relative's address is done a lot, but if employers are concerned about where you live the giveaway is the phone number. When your address is San Francisco and your area code is Atlanta they will be suspicious.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:09 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,400,459 times
I work in management in construction. How much and exactly what experience do you have in construction? Unless it's extensive I see it being very hard (impossible) to waltz into a decent construction manager job fresh out of school.

Again, it all depends on the extent of your experience. I woukd say you will need typically around 5ish years minimal experience to get an actual construction management job.

Bilingual will help down south.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,384,426 times
I have been browsing CM undergrad program placement stats. Most of the colleges boast 80% + placement. How has placement been among your peers? Has you college placement center been able to help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment