Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 07:52 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,520,932 times

Advertisements

13 Reasons You're Not As Successful As You Should Be by Jim Kukral | NFIB

Just read this online, seemed relevant to many of the discussions here.

By Jim Kukral.

Feeling down about your small business these days? Is the broken economy hurting your sales and keeping you up at night? Need some motivation and tough love to help you stop pitying yourself? Well, here you go: 13 reasons you might have in your head about why you're not as successful as you should be.
#1 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Laziness
I don’t think there’s an easy way to put this. I have to assume that you’re lazy. Every single successful person works their butts off to get where they are. It’s ok to be lazy. Just admit it. But don’t whine about not being rich and successful, ok?
#2 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Entitlement
Only a few people in the world are part of the lucky sperm club. You and me? We gotta work to get what we want. Quit thinking you are owed something. You’re not. Get to work.
#3 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Fear
You are afraid, plain and simple. Afraid of looking silly. Afraid of what your friends and family will say. Afraid of everything. Look, you’re either going to stop being afraid, or you’re not. Nobody can convince you to stop. Imagine though... what awaits you when you stop with the fear excuses?
#4 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Negativity
You may not realize it, but the people you associate with might be negative [orifices]. They could be soul-sucking beings who don’t want anyone to be successful. Get rid of them, now! Surround yourself with successful people. People you want to be like.
#5 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Stop Thinking
How much do you want to bet you have paralysis by analysis? You think way too much about what you could or should do. Doers get what they want, and everyone else gets what they get. Stop analyzing and start doing.
#6 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – No Goals
You plan nothing. You believe that someway, somehow, everything you always wanted will just magically happen. So you “play it by ear” and wait. You need goals to shoot for. Otherwise, you’re just treading water.
#7 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – “They”
There’s no “they”. There’s no secret group of people that controls your success or failure. You’ve made that up to make you feel better about yourself. The truth is you, and you alone, control your success in life/business/everything. It’s easy to blame “them” though, isn’t it? Weak.
#8 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – No “X” Factor
You can’t do it because you’re not pretty enough. Or don’t have a strong personality? You don’t have the “X” factor? Wow, what an unbelievably lame excuse. The truth is even jerks, idiots and boring people can be just as successful as anyone else. Your problem is you don’t believe it yet.
#9 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Time Waste
You’re a classic time-waster. You spend hours and hours every day working on not-working. You do things that aren’t productive. How are you ever going to get anything done, or reach any goal if you keep wasting time? You’re not. So you might as well give up now if you’re going to keep this path.
#10 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Social B.S.
You spend way too much time in social media land.* You waste probably about 50% of your productive hours of the day doing this. The sad part is, you know it, but you can’t stop. So you can’t get anything done that matters.
#11 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Think Small
You think way too small. You are constantly looking only a day or a week ahead instead of years ahead. Because of this, you never get anywhere, and you never lead; you always follow.
#12 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Don’t Want It
You don’t really want to be successful. Sure, you like to dream about it like everyone else. But in your heart you are afraid of what might happen if you really get it. That’s B.S. fear your brain is feeding you. Success is change, and it feels really, really good. Tell your brain to shut the [foolishness] up.
#13 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Don’t Believe
You never believed that it’s possible. Society taught you that only a few “exceptional” people get what they want. Everyone else should just settle. If you really want to believe that, go ahead. The rest of us will be at the front of the line because we believe.
An excerpt from Jim's book Business Around a Lifestyle Volume 2. Available for purchase at Amazon. Grab your copy by visiting JimKukralBooks.com.13 Reasons You're Not As Successful As You Should Be by Jim Kukral | NFIB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 PM

361 posts, read 922,678 times
I hope Alec Baldwin is getting the royalties he rightfully deserves. That three minute monologue in Glengarry Glenn Ross spawned an entire army of self-help, motivational, think bigger, d-bag facial hair having, "get-out-there-and-win!", Grey Goose is a "quality" Vodka because its on the top shelf at the liquor store, mildly-impressive-salary-so-now-I-know-it-all cloned, paranoid, unoriginal idiots.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
I hope Alec Baldwin is getting the royalties he rightfully deserves. That three minute monologue in Glengarry Glenn Ross spawned an entire army of self-help, motivational, think bigger, "get-out-there-and-win!", mildly-impressive-salaried clone idiots.
Take from it what you will. I recognize myself 18 years ago in many if the items on the list. I had never heard of self help or motivational speaking. It was 100 percent new to me, and it sparked my journey to where I am now and gives me a good swift kick in the butt when I need it.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:11 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,751,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
I hope Alec Baldwin is getting the royalties he rightfully deserves. That three minute monologue in Glengarry Glenn Ross spawned an entire army of self-help, motivational, think bigger, d-bag facial hair having, "get-out-there-and-win!", Grey Goose is a "quality" Vodka because its on the top shelf at the liquor store, mildly-impressive-salary-so-now-I-know-it-all cloned, paranoid, unoriginal idiots.
The self help motivational crap started long before Glengarry Glenn Ross, however there is some truth in many of the stuff they spout so often.

I have noticed much of these problems with myself and my circle of friends at many different times in my life, and when we get over them life gets better and opportunities do present themselves.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:13 PM

Number 4 was told to me a different way.

"You are the sum of the 5 people you hang around with the most. So if you don't like who you are, get some new friends."

Old 09-28-2013, 08:29 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,751,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Number 4 was told to me a different way.

"You are the sum of the 5 people you hang around with the most. So if you don't like who you are, get some new friends."

I was never really told number 4 in that way, but was told that if you want to figure out what your average salary will be then figure out the 10 people you spend the most time with outside of you spouse and you will be right about their combined average income, and years ago I read a couple of studies that said the same thing. One was about a person's income, the other was about families household income and that the husband and wife will find a way to average what the 10 households they were closest too averaged.

So in other words it is not a good idea to spend all your free time with you buddies that have no income and live off their parents, and is a great idea to spend all your time with the most successful people you know. Personally I do not pick my friends that way, but I am careful to not let some of my broke friends influence my attitudes about money and jobs.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 PM

I consistently try to find people that can carry on an intelligent conversation on a variety of topics like world events in a fair manner without getting overtly political. Turns out they're generally successful too.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:50 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,761,393 times
I agree with these ideals for success, the problem is two people can work the same hrs, put in the same effort and have the same winning attudes but get different results. I think to many times successful people believe anyone can be successful like them, because they did it. Not to be negative but real. Our capitalist economic structure cant run without a lower class ok. So that eliminates that argument that everyone can be successful if they are not lazy, etc. Further, #2 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Entitlement
Only a few people in the world are part of the lucky sperm club. You and me? We gotta work to get what we want. Quit thinking you are owed something. You’re not. Get to work.

Uhmm i heard this from successful people before who think its wrong for us to think if we work as hard or harder then others then we should get payed as much or more.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:02 PM

I see it more as "make do with what you have, not what you see others have and wish you had."

Old 09-28-2013, 09:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
3 and 5 are me.

Definitely 5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment