Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:48 PM

14 posts, read 45,991 times

Advertisements

I work at a small office, and sadly, it's impossible to avoid getting involved in office politics. Whether it is an unfriendly manager who is condescending to his workers and clients, or co-workers who whisper and trash-talk others who they feel are below themselves, it's not a very healthy environment. I wish that people would just forget about the petty stuff, start respecting each other, and focus on getting the work done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 PM

4,584 posts, read 12,410,135 times
I've had to deal with office politics on and off for most of my working life, I hate it and many times it's unavoidable.

While working as a nurse between 72-82 it was constant between the nurses - LPN's vs RN's, Supervisors vs floor nurse then of course there were the doctors.

In many instances while in the IT industry, it involved after work activities that I wasn't interested in and since I didn't participate my contract wasn't extended, those who did were extended. Ummm I had a life after work.

My last job was fabulous, I got my work off a secure database from home and went to the courthouses, I communicated with my office via phone, fax and email and only had to go to a staff meeting once a year. Plus my boss was great...It was probably the best job I ever had, it didn't pay all that great but the perks were worth it!

At one job, there was an annual MANDITORY gift exchange and buy the boss a gift at x-mas. I spoke against it as many of the workers there were barely above minimum wage and had their own families to provide for and I felt it was way out of line to demand money from them for not one but two gifts at x-mas, and on top of that not everyone celebrated that holiday because of other beliefs. They made the gift exchange voluntary but I was gone within 6 months...contract not renewed.

I'm not "christian" I have a different spiritual belief and it's just as valid, I get sick and tired of having x-mas and easter crammed down my throat and treated badly when I politely explain I'm not christian, I've been told by co-workers that I'll burn in hell, that I'm a sinful savage on and on. I live in the southern bible belt and can't wait to move, if the economy ever picks up so I can get out of here.

I've always prided myself on preforming above and beyond as far as my work duties are concerned, I treat everyone with respect but I just can't get into after work extra caricular activities nor do I want to socilize with most of the people I work with, we generally have nothing in common other than work.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,192 times
working at few bank institution i must say the office politics there are high.although most people don't like to participate in office politics by direct means(actually making moves that change the company) there are 5% with come to play.beware of those ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment