Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 02:51 AM

15 posts, read 55,160 times

Advertisements

I was recently offered a job as a walmart department manager. If anyone has done this job before, is it worth it? The pay I was offered wasn't too great: I was only offered $9.65 an hour to do the job.

Any perks to the position? Can department managers change and/or write schedules, etc? How about writing other associates up who aren't doing the tasks that you, as department manager, assigned to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,268,744 times
Wow, I bet it has changed since I worked there. I haven't worked there in over a decade, but for the workload it would not be worth that pay. Also you could not make schedules or write up other associates. But from what I understand, job titles and duties have really changed since I worked there. I'm surprised at the pay, when I worked there even in my little town, you weren't offered that position unless you'd been at the company long enough to be making more - so you automatically would be getting over $10 already, probably. I never knew a dept manager who made less than $10. I did a lot of jobs at WM but that was always one I shyed away from due to the work load. The schedule was the perk (no weekends or nights) Again, maybe it's changed.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,014 posts, read 82,199,153 times
With the minimum wage hear at $9.19 here that's not much for the responsibility. It seems like you could be supervising people that make more than you do, even if your minimum wage is lower.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:09 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,253,541 times
The first step to working your way up the ladder of corporate success! Bentonville C suites here we come!

Old 08-18-2013, 08:23 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,204,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombus View Post
I was recently offered a job as a walmart department manager. If anyone has done this job before, is it worth it? The pay I was offered wasn't too great: I was only offered $9.65 an hour to do the job.

Any perks to the position? Can department managers change and/or write schedules, etc? How about writing other associates up who aren't doing the tasks that you, as department manager, assigned to them?
That's only 2 levels away from salaried in the store. While the salaries may not be huge 30-40k, the bonuses you can get if your store performs well could add another 5-15k to that total.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,183,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
That's only 2 levels away from salaried in the store. While the salaries may not be huge 30-40k, the bonuses you can get if your store performs well could add another 5-15k to that total.

those 'bonuses' aren't huge either......

I'd say the stress you're going to encounter isnt' worth that kind of pay. You'd make more flipping burgers

Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 AM

830 posts, read 1,674,033 times
I work at Walmart, and about a dozen times I have been asked to apply for a department manager position. I don't know what we pay for it, but I'm quite sure it is more than $9.65 per hour, otherwise people wouldn't be taking it. Are you already working for Walmart or had you worked for Walmart or a similar company in the past? The low pay might reflect your experience if you have never worked in retail, but even so I think the starting pay would be a little higher...Maybe I'll ask someone who knows. As a remodel associate I started out at $7.40 per hour but I was hired over four years ago and I'm sure that wage is higher now, if only by 25 cents. Anyway there is a difference in between someone like me getting a department manager position and someone who is brand new, as you may know.

I was about to make a long-winded list about the problems I have observed for department managers in my store, but I don't want to scare you too much! Basically it's varied schedules, doing tasks unrelated to your department (then you don't get what you need done), reliance on others (understaffed, incompetency, getting along with other department managers), too many managers, and trickle-down blame and responsibility. To me, the pay and the title are not worth it, but I may cave in and take a department.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,210,101 times
The pay is on the low end, but well within the range for the position...

Walmart Stores Department Manager Hourly Pay | Glassdoor

A lot depends on your life situation and work history. It seems it is a step up, and a chance to advance to possibly Assistant Store Manager. Take it.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:33 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,856,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Considering how crappy the workers they have are, they'll be lucky not to be fired for the store nonperforming.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:43 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,856,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombus View Post

Well, all I can say is I am working at a job where I reprice clothing, re bag it (At times) put hangers in the bag and/or put the sizer tags on them. All this and stand 10 hrs (I get 3 days weekends until OT picks up) and get $9.45 for this (Temp job just to pay bills)

So, I think you're getting screwed....BUT then again, it shows you're willing to do the job (Some people just don't like being the "Boss") and if you stick it out, you may find you are good for this and then broaden your work search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment