Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:37 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,225,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
MBA graduates are not representative of the general population.
So you are claiming that women in the general population negotiate for salary increases more than women with MBAs? Based on what?

Here are some more sources backing up what I am saying. Do you have any sources to back up what you are saying?

'They Don't Negotiate': Why Young Women College Graduates Are Still Paid Less Than Men
Negotiating Tactics Play Role in Gender Pay Gap - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Are Women Lousy Salary Negotiators? - US News and World Report
Why You Should Negotiate Your Salary If You Are A Woman
Women Are Less Likely to Negotiate Starting Salaries | Inc.com
'Don't Ask, Don't Get': How to Fix the Gender Gap in Salary Negotiations - Alexis Coe - The Atlantic

Old 09-12-2013, 11:52 AM

350 posts, read 710,966 times
It's a myth that women unfairly make less than men. If women made less, corporations would hire them first to save money. Also, the lawsuits would wipe businesses out.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:34 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,070,324 times
No, that is not what I meant. What I meant is that I don't think that the general public of either gender negotiates for a higher salary anywhere near as often as the statistics that you showed. If someone was so "whiny" and "entitled" (to use your terms) as to expect a raise every 2 weeks as that data shows, they would be fired. People of both genders with MBAs tend to be people like you who have an overinflated view of their importance and want more money at all costs, even though they are miserable and never enjoy their money.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwashed_in_church View Post
It's a myth that women unfairly make less than men. If women made less, corporations would hire them first to save money. Also, the lawsuits would wipe businesses out.
Yes, you are right. The reason why women are paid less than men is because women work fewer hours than me, and women tend to take easier jobs than men.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,387,919 times
Quote:
MBA graduates are not representative of the general population.
However, it is telling given that MBA graduates, especially those from top tier programs, are a self-selected group, most of whom you would assume are fairly ambitious, assertive, and clued in to negotiating. And yet, much fewer women MBAs actually negotiate on wages.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
However, it is telling given that MBA graduates, especially those from top tier programs, are a self-selected group, most of whom you would assume are fairly ambitious, assertive, and clued in to negotiating. And yet, much fewer women MBAs actually negotiate on wages.
What I meant is that most non-MBAs of both genders do not ask for a raise every 4 weeks like HNSQ's data suggests. It's amazing how if someone like me wants anything, I'm "whiny and entitled", yet it seems that people like HNSQ want everything handed to him on a silver platter. Hypocrites.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,225,681 times
Quote:
No, that is not what I meant. What I meant is that I don't think that the general public of either gender negotiates for a higher salary anywhere near as often as the statistics that you showed. If someone was so "whiny" and "entitled" (to use your terms) as to expect a raise every 2 weeks as that data shows, they would be fired. People of both genders with MBAs tend to be people like you who have an overinflated view of their importance and want more money at all costs, even though they are miserable and never enjoy their money.
But this isn't true. If you can prove you are worth the raise, asking for more money is far from unreasonable. Many, many people do this. The people who don't ask for raises/promotions are the ones who never get anywhere in their careers. Asking for a raise is simple. Go to your boss and ask what you have to do over the next 18 months to prove you deserve a 7% raise. Over the next 18 months, accomplish everything he/she tells you to do. That isn't rocket science, and is something many people do very regularly.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
But this isn't true. If you can prove you are worth the raise, asking for more money is far from unreasonable. Many, many people do this. The people who don't ask for raises/promotions are the ones who never get anywhere in their careers. Asking for a raise is simple. Go to your boss and ask what you have to do over the next 18 months to prove you deserve a 7% raise. Over the next 18 months, accomplish everything he/she tells you to do. That isn't rocket science, and is something many people do very regularly.

There is no way that you or anyone else is worth a raise every 4 weeks, as that graph you attached shows.

Also, a raise is a double edged sword. When the CEO decides that he can't afford to buy a big enough yacht, and decides to lay off some employees that he knows nothing about, he's going to lay off the ones that appear to be the most overpaid, which is going to be the person who got the biggest raises, unfortunately.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:38 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,587,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
If I had a husband that made enough to support me, I would not work. It really is ridiculous to expect me to work continuously while being pregnant (which I have done, and it is not fun), then to only get maternity leave paid for what I have already saved up in PTO (5 weeks) then come back immediately to work and just be able to hand my 5 week old baby off to some stranger to raise for almost 60 hours a week while I am at work and driving back and forth. I have no idea why America thinks that this is ok and acceptable. I mean, look at the kids we have now! I work in a correctional facility and I would have to say that MOST of the kids here, their problems stem from parenting issues at least 50/50. They do make their own choices, but with little emphasis on good parenting in our nation, can you really blame their parents? Struggling to work and have children at the same time is much much harder than I imagined it would be :/

Oh and FMLA is a joke. Who can actually afford to take off those 12 weeks of unpaid leave?!?!/ REALLY?! Everyone here is asking me if I am taking 12 weeks off and I'm like uh I can barely afford to live on the paycheck I do get and I am supposed to live off the pay check I don't get? Ha.
Please. Working parents are now responsible for 50% of the criminal element?

Get real. Working AND parenting are hard. Guess what? Millions of women do it every day and raise great kids. It's HARD to make a great life for you and your family; it takes a lot of work.

Of course, women should be paid the same as men.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,387,919 times
Quote:
What I meant is that most non-MBAs of both genders do not ask for a raise every 4 weeks like HNSQ's data suggests. It's amazing how if someone like me wants anything, I'm "whiny and entitled", yet it seems that people like HNSQ want everything handed to him on a silver platter. Hypocrites.
My point is that women, in general, don't negotiate as much as men do on compensation, either when they get a job offer, or once they're in the job, when it is merited. And that is why, when you compare apples to apples (same position/field), a lot of women don't get paid as much as men and leave money on the table. I'd bet more than a few hiring managers take advantage of this cultural disinclination of women to not negotiate their offers.

That was HNSQ's point, at least in terms of the links posted, which I feel have merit, and the "every 4 weeks a raise" on a survey graph is a misreading on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment