Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:39 PM

600 posts, read 754,589 times

Advertisements

I already have a BA in an unrelated field (Political Science), but want to change careers to be a database programmer and eventually a Database Administrator (DBA).

I can't even apply for a MS in Computer Science unless I have a BS in either Information Technology or CS.
A BS in CS requires 31 classes including several classes unrelated to computer programming including Math and Science classes.
A BS in IT requires 13 classes total with only a few programming classes (2 are in Java), but I would be learning computer programming on the side anyways as I am already learning SQL and will learn other languages like Python, etc. on my own as well.

I will be working full time while going to school and studying for computer certifications.

I am asking because I am 33 years old and I would be close to 40 if I go with the BS in CS + MS in CS as opposed to the BS in IT + the MS in CS, not to mention the expenses, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,908 times
BS in IT. May I suggest MS in Finance

Old 07-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
BS in IT. May I suggest MS in Finance
Why a MS in Finance?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
Why a MS in Finance?
So an IT department would need you

Old 07-26-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
So an IT department would need you
To do finance work? Wouldn't they need me to do programming work with a BS in IT?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
bs it

Old 07-26-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
To do finance work? Wouldn't they need me to do programming work with a BS in IT?
Actually a good question.. coding and knowledge of a business sector is the kickbutt combo IMO. The coding work depends on the sector and we tend to specialize. I am in IT in the investment banking sector, where the big money is you might have heard. You can even work for the government watching over the big players using computers, writing code to catch them. I did that for a while

My brother in law's racket is computer systems for the litigation industry. Weird right but maybe a pol sci guy with IT experience could be making it in the niche

Old 07-26-2013, 06:04 PM

These are great suggestions. This definitely puts things more in perspective. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Actually a good question.. coding and knowledge of a business sector is the kickbutt combo IMO. The coding work depends on the sector and we tend to specialize. I am in IT in the investment banking sector, where the big money is you might have heard. You can even work for the government watching over the big players using computers, writing code to catch them. I did that for a while

My brother in law's racket is computer systems for the litigation industry. Weird right but maybe a pol sci guy with IT experience could be making it in the niche
Would a basic IT education be enough for the OP though, or would an employer be looking for a more formal CS background? Any specific classes you would recommend? For instance, when I was in grad school I heard that functional programming languages like OCaml were starting to get some traction in finance.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 AM

IMO all programming languages are basically the same. the key is getting in the game. you can stay in one place or learn the most and run to the next. you can have great credentials and get a head start with the industry movers or you can start at the bottom of the barrel type of companies and take 5 to 10 years to get where the guy with the great credentials started. You can also consider starting with a consulting firm...they are known to put underqualified people in high profile projects. Just figure out how to get out eventually
depending what your interests are, your location etc it may be a good idea to know what is the main piece of software that your target company is using. Every sector has custom software so its up to you where you want or able to start. Most folks go for coding that is part of some product... automotive, healthcare equipment, inventory, video games, etc I personally do not like this. its not stable IMO
The finance sector is pretty big and its IT projects are very well funded so theres too many software to mention. Specifically supporting the commodities trading business, Goldman has 'the best people money can buy and they write most of their software from scratch and they used the Python before I even heard about it. The same programmers moved to the other big banks who wanted to copy GS. JPM just finished their version, now BoA is working on theirs. I heard GS is scrapping everything and start with a new one using a new language and it could be the one you just mentioned. In general though most use a thirdparty software like Endur, RightAngle, Triplepoint, Murex all with c/java/sql coding. We implement and enhance these thirdparty TRMS software non-stop and the software vendor tries to keep pace with the business itself. now banks can control the flow of oil, gas, maybe electricity as well. If banks, eventually own the defense system then we'll be linked (j/k). THey tried to outsource this group many times before but everyone failed. People in the business are just too edgey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment