Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:33 PM

8,111 posts, read 10,193,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2455 View Post
My friend who works for GAP Corporate was a fresh college grad with a BA in Accounting with a 1 year internship and a 3.5 GPA. He needed extensive training at GAP Corporate to do payroll, accounts receivables, accounts payable, pay vendors, process checks and learn Quickbooks. He didn't learn all that until after 5 months of extensive on the job training in all those areas including their Quickbooks software. But they took time and trained him.

Even my friend says that the 1st 3 weesks he was "raw" in all areas including Quickbooks. They also started him at a higher salary day 1.
Okay James. Enough of the BS.

Before I go WILD....we're talking GAP, as in GAP stores, as in $15 Billion a year in revenues GAP?

There is NO way they are doing their books on QuickBooks, for starters.

Second, there is no way that even in one year's time your friend went from any ONE Accounting area--Payroll, for ex,, let alone 'mastered' Payroll, A/R, A/P, Vendor Payables, etc. Didn't happen. No way. What? He was promoted to Controller during year two?

If you wish for people to help you, the first step is to be truthful.

Now, what REALLY happened that you got fired after one week on the job?

Old 07-17-2013, 01:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,265,923 times
Quote:
so enlighten me where do you feel i went wrong in my 6 days there and what could I have done better?
When you weren't being trained while at work, what were you doing?

Quote:
I worked Mon-friday 9-6. I didn't get home till 7:30pm because of traffic. I had to make dinner and eat so by the time i finished that it was 9:00. I had to take a shower and prep for bed at 10pm so I could wake up by 6:00 am and eat breakfast and be to work by 8:50 am. I had off Saturday and Sunday.
What is your commute where you are commuting an hour and a half each way? What did you do over the weekend? Why couldn't you cook for the week on a sunday and spend from 7:30-10pm studying?

What could you have done better? You can start by considering the fact that you might have done something wrong. If you have the same attitude you have here while at work "obviously I didn't do anything wrong!", this won't be the first time you get fired.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:01 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,296,422 times
It looks like most employers don't like to train and rather have someone who can hit the ground running.

Never understood that

Old 07-17-2013, 02:09 PM

141 posts, read 147,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
When you weren't being trained while at work, what were you doing?

What is your commute where you are commuting an hour and a half each way? What did you do over the weekend? Why couldn't you cook for the week on a Sunday and spend from 7:30-10pm studying?

What could you have done better? You can start by considering the fact that you might have done something wrong. If you have the same attitude you have here while at work "obviously I didn't do anything wrong!", this won't be the first time you get fired.

my first week we had large tests each day on this financial ad visor who has a book out. We were told to go home and read 3 chapters a night because we would be tested in a 2 hour window the next day. I got an A on each of the exams in that 1st week. Because I went home a read the book on my down time.

I commuted from Irvine to Brentwood daily.

A girl who was new and started at the same time as me saw how I carried my self in the office. She doesn't feel I did anything wrong. She got hired on as a broker and she is still there. I have her phone number.

My weekend I just rested. Thinking about the situation now. if I was still there, I would have said Henry can I come into the office and train with you Saturday and Sunday for the next 8 weeks. I would have done it even though there would be no extra pay for doing such. Yes the office is open weekends, but only the president, operations manager, and Henry occasionally comes in on weekends.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:12 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,296,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

Before I go WILD....we're talking GAP, as in GAP stores, as in $15 Billion a year in revenues GAP?

Second, there is no way that even in one year's time your friend went from any ONE Accounting area--Payroll, for ex,, let alone 'mastered' Payroll, A/R, A/P, Vendor Payables, etc. Didn't happen. No way. What? He was promoted to Controller during year two?

No kidding. This makes me want to hear Henry's side of the story.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

no bull**** its all for real and truthful.

The company i was terminated from that what using Quickbooks had 6 companies tied to this one company. No he wasn't promoted to controller the second year. He's one of the many staff accountants they have working in there large accounting department. He's not doing all the tasks by himself obviously, but they maneuvered him into different facets of the accounting department over the span of a couple months. I don't know the ENTIRE story with my friend at GAP, but those are the tidbits I know from what he told me

As the mod said in another thread if you're going to be mean and disrespectful or if you don't believe me don't post in this thread. You don't know me and I don't know you.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
No kidding. This makes me want to hear Henry's side of the story.
Henry probably would say that I didn't meet performance expectation and he didn't expect my performance in Quickbooks to be so "raw".

Old 07-17-2013, 02:17 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,198,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It looks like most employers don't like to train and rather have someone who can hit the ground running.

Never understood that

Employers like to train, but we expect people to at least be able to chew gum and walk at the same time.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post

Never understood that
especially considering they knew my background and said they would train.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Employers like to train, but we expect people to at least be able to chew gum and walk at the same time.
to a certain an extent what you say is true. Bear in mind some employers/people are more patient than others. Some people are more strict and some are less strict than others. However, I've had some employers tell me in interviews can you do X X X because we don't train and want someone who can hit the ground running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment