Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times

Advertisements

I suspect that you think that all of the other posters are over reacting. Well, they aren't.

I will give you the advice that I would give my own 20 something children.
You may still be able to turn this around.

Study those manuals all day today, read and reread until you know the information backwards and forwards.
Go to sleep early so that you have plenty of rest.
Arrive at work 15 minutes early tomorrow and every day in the future. Stay late if you need extra practice on something.
If your "summer training program" is interfering with work stop or modify the training program.
Talk to your supervisor/training manager and apologize for getting off to a poor start and promise to give 110% to the job from now on----and actually give 110%

The job market is horrendous right now. If you lose this job it may be months, if not years, before you have another opportunity. Don't blow it.

And stop makes excuses.

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-14-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 11:15 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,994,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
2. Should I even bother to spend time studying the training material the rest of the weekend when I know it's virtually impossible to meet their requirements? Perhaps I should just call in sick (as luck would have it, I did get a cold/mild fever the past few days, running down my energy levels further) and skip the test altogether? I know that's an automatic dismissal, but they want me gone anyway, so why continue to waste time on a lost cause? The only problem I see with that is that such a move would further hurt my reputation as being unreliable and result in a very low final evaluation, guaranteeing I'm never eligible for rehire. If I do skip the next test, for common courtesy, I could leave a message on the trainer's voice mail, but this way I could just spend the coming days recovering and job hunting, resting adequately so that I can focus on succeeding in interviews that I might be able to secure this coming week.
You're hopeless. Grow up. If you don't, this pattern of employment failure will continue. The intermittent employers you find to hire you will have different logos on their check, but what you have been hearing will be repeated, again and again.

Priority to your employer is learn your material, be on time at your DESK ready to go on time, do your job 110%. It's not "Did Suzie have enough time to roller-blade today"?

Last edited by bobtn; 07-14-2013 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-14-2013, 11:21 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,403,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
OP, if they fire you "for cause" they can fight your UI and you wouldn't get that anyway.
Oh good. Another new poster to the forum who has no idea regarding the UI laws.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:48 AM

720 posts, read 767,135 times
That's true, I don't have any idea about Ui laws, I'm only going by what I've seen, knowing several individuals in two different states who have had this exact situation.

I apologize for my ignorance, and daring to be a new poster to this forum.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:10 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,999,466 times
Who really has a "mentor" anyway? I haven't heard that term in this context since Seinfeld.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,403,547 times
Quote:
It was the manager who wondered aloud if the 2 hrs/day workouts were the cause of the below average training class results and just on time arrivals (again, I don't consider 7:59am arrival, when the room opens at 7:55 and the class starts at 8:00, to be late). And why would you laugh at someone for taking a positive proactive approach to their cardio health? That strikes me as odd behavior. As a manager, I would applaud an employee taking proactive steps to keep/get in shape rather than one who engages in unhealthy habits like using lazy and destructive commuting modes like driving to work.
Yes, your boss DOES consider this to be late...and they have told you this numerous times...so why are you still holding to it? You work for a company that considers 7:59 to be late when schedule for 8. You know this and have done NOTHING to adapt, just carried on blindly expecting them to change for you.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:18 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,060,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I would stare at anyone who said that to me until they walked away. I would then terminate the person as I would not want to get in the way of their summer fitness and health is important. OMG.

I know, but I'd have to laugh because the world's largest snort would come of me and totally ruin the moment!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,335,869 times
Quote:
Not sure where people got the 2 hours of jogging to work from because if you read my comments you'd see I wrote 2 hrs/day. This means 1 hour there and 1 hour back, sometimes more. About the BO concerns, I shower in the morning before I leave, put on adequate antiperspirant, wear a breathable top and shorts, towel away any sweat when I arrive and change into dry, fresh clothes. Therefore smelly sweat isn't really a problem. Ideally I could stop by a gym and take a proper shower before heading into work but I'll have to see if I can fit that into my schedule in the future.

Anyway, moving forward I have 2 questions/concerns.

1. I've been updating my resume this weekend in preparation for what now seems like an inevitable termination, and am wondering if I should leave off this job since it's obvious I won't get a reference. The problem is the big unemployment gap between my last job and this one appears even bigger if I delete this job from my resume.

2. Should I even bother to spend time studying the training material the rest of the weekend when I know it's virtually impossible to meet their requirements? Perhaps I should just call in sick (as luck would have it, I did get a cold/mild fever the past few days, running down my energy levels further) and skip the test altogether? I know that's an automatic dismissal, but they want me gone anyway, so why continue to waste time on a lost cause? The only problem I see with that is that such a move would further hurt my reputation as being unreliable and result in a very low final evaluation, guaranteeing I'm never eligible for rehire. If I do skip the next test, for common courtesy, I could leave a message on the trainer's voice mail, but this way I could just spend the coming days recovering and job hunting, resting adequately so that I can focus on succeeding in interviews that I might be able to secure this coming week.
1. I say leave it off if you get let go. Reason being you already have 10 months unemployment before these 3 months. Only 3 months and then losing the job will not make you look good anyway. A 3 month job that you lose right away never looks good. Stretching out 10 months unemployment to 13 months unemployment is a better option IMO.

2. I say study and go take the test. They have bent over backwards for you when other places might have fired you already. Perhaps if you do really well on the test, they will let you go on to the next level on a trial basis and see how you do. (BUT if they do, you better adjust your attitude and listen to the good advice many of the other posters have given on here.) Go in and take the test as a means of character building if for nothing else!

Old 07-14-2013, 03:05 PM

3,046 posts, read 5,007,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Too simple and logical for OP.
Actually, running/skating/biking there's even less excuse for being late. There's never a problem with traffic, broken down vehicles, trains not running on schedule, etc.

I bike to work and know within a minute or two when I'll get there. Even though I set my own schedule, I set a time I want to be in the office every day, leave 15 minutes early, and have never been late.

As for the OP, if you think it's such an unreasonable burden to be on time, you need to find a new company. These are their rules; you're not going to change them.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,879,089 times
There are just some people who always have something going on in their lives, one sort of drama or another. We have all worked with and known people like that. They are constantly sick, their car breaks down a lot, their cat has furballs and has to go to the vet every week, their Girlfriend or Boyfriend is a loser, etc, etc, etc. Other people seem to just somehow get through life, show up for work, make ends meet, and only occasionally get ill.

A friend of my Son had a GF who was like the former example. She couldn't hold a job, was always complaining something was wrong, had no money, and was extremely lazy. Every time I saw her she was taking a nap somewhere. My Son and his GF helped them move one time and while everyone else was working their tails off this girl was sitting on the couch eating chips or napping !

The original poster to this thread impresses me as that sort of person, and I bet she never changes from that pattern the rest of her life.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment